Thread: Recommend a Gunsmith in ABQ?

Post imported post

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Albuquerque metro area?

In the short term I'm thinking of having night sights installed on my Springfield XD, and also of getting annual checkups done on my guns.

In the long term, I'd like to develop a long term relationship with a reliable and excellent gunsmith.

Post imported post

installing night sights is very easy and doesn't really require a gunsmith, you can probably do it yourself and if you can't you can take it to pretty much any gun shop and they will install them for a small fee (around $10) or even free. As for doing check ups on your gun, you can also do that yourself very easily, just study up on your xd and get familiar with it, taking it apart, detail stripping etc. You can hit up some xd dedicated gun forums for all the help in the world, I.E. XD talk. google it.

Post imported post

mserr: thanks for your reply. I'm pretty handy with tools, but I'd really like an experienced professional to install my night sights -- particularly if it can be done for $10 to $20 as I've heard.

I'd also like to know who I can trust with my gun if it ever needs any serious attention.

--mfcmb

Post imported post

I reccommend AC Firearms in Rio Rancho. 505-994-9243 at 2502 Southern Blvd #2

They are great people and have a full shop inback. They will take good care of you.

Post imported post

KB3CGS: Thank you, I'll check them out!

Post imported post

I only live up the road from them I'll have to pay them a visit and have a talk to them
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Post imported post

Mate payed them a visit today and the guy there was great will be going back for sure when I have some spare cash :celebrate
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Post imported post

I was finally able to drop by AC Firearms in Rio Rancho. It has a relatively small storefront, with a large open doorway into a back room that looks larger than the storefront and has equipment that looks applicable to gunsmithing (lathe, drillpress, etc.). The gunsmith wasn't there, but it looks like a serious shop.

The front-office folk were friendly. I asked about installing sights. They said the gunsmith doesn't do that, and that they have a couple of guys who are good at it. They don't have a way to test their alignment, so you have to test it yourself then bring it back for an adjustment -- and repeat as needed.

Cool Charlies Sporting Goods..

I normally just take my firearms to them, they don't charge much. You know I have an Argentine Ballista 1911 Copy, the problem is I can't order regular 1911 parts for it. So I had them order me an extractor and all together to get it tuned and installed was $67. $15 for the installation and $52 for the part. I didn't really mind as typical 1911 extractors run between $25 and $40..

im not sure if you're still looking. But my father is a certified GS in the east mountains area. I'm an avid competition shooter and he's been the primary GS for myself and several others back in california. He has a good rep in the east mountain area as well. He's quite the perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by wgurule View Post
    im not sure if you're still looking. But my father is a certified GS in the east mountains area. I'm an avid competition shooter and he's been the primary GS for myself and several others back in california. He has a good rep in the east mountain area as well. He's quite the perfectionist.

PM sent. Thanks!