• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Members from Baraboo and surrounding area.

Mlutz

imported post

Automotion is today, I will be there. Should be a good time. I plan to oc there too. :lol:

minuteman

imported post

I live in Baraboo and have open carried off and on since maybe 03, but I really dont carry very often..

At first I was nervous as hell but dont think much of it anymore, when I first started carrying the Baraboo Police threatened me with disorderly conducts and literally asked me "why do you want to carry a gun?" Point was made that they can issue citations all they want, for any reason, even trying to modify human behavior. Now I am sure they sing a different tune, assuming they got the memo, and are following the law. The Sheriffs department was a totally different story, reminding me that I had a right to keep and bear arms etc etc, and that was in like 2003 well before the AG had to put out memos.

One thing everyone must be careful of in Baraboo, or all of Sauk County, open carry is not allowed in parks. It is a BAD ordinance and maybe we can all do something to change it, but they can do it because its no more harsh than the states law.. Maybe we can just repeal that ban on open carry in state parks and they would all have to follow suit.

Also, be sure to vote for Chip Meister in the upcoming election for Sheriff, he is a republican and a good guy.. Yes voting does make a difference..

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

minuteman wrote:
One thing everyone must be careful of in Baraboo, or all of Sauk County, open carry is not allowed in parks. It is a BAD ordinance and maybe we can all do something to change it, but they can do it because its no more harsh than the states law.
I disagree.

First: Show me the state law that specifies we cannot carry in Baraboo or Sauk County Parks. There ISN'T one.

Per state law, there are only five places (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones) that we cannot carry. State law does not prevent us from carrying in County or City Parks as long as they are outside the school zones.

This hasn't been tested in court yet, but there may be a case coming shortly. As LEO monitors the forums, that is all I will post on the subject.

minuteman

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
minuteman wrote:
One thing everyone must be careful of in Baraboo, or all of Sauk County, open carry is not allowed in parks. It is a BAD ordinance and maybe we can all do something to change it, but they can do it because its no more harsh than the states law.
I disagree.

First: Show me the state law that specifies we cannot carry in Baraboo or Sauk County Parks. There ISN'T one.

Per state law, there are only five places (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones) that we cannot carry. State law does not prevent us from carrying in County or City Parks as long as they are outside the school zones.

This hasn't been tested in court yet, but there may be a case coming shortly. As LEO monitors the forums, that is all I will post on the subject.

I disagree with it also, seems that banning open carry in a city/county park is clearly more restrictive than the state law. But it is in the ordinances, and the recent city flier thing still says no firearms in parks. So they continue to believe they can enforce that ordinance.

If you pay my attorney I will volunteer to challenge it.. I would sacrifice like maybe my Makarov for the cause. :D

I dont care if anyone is reading this. Would that be like premeditated exercising of rights?