• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In St Charles County

zekester

imported post

I emailed the Sheriff and this was his response.....

"I can’t answer for the cities as I am not familiar with their ordinances. The County has no ordinance prohibiting the open carry issue although even though it is not prohibited it is discouraged as it serves no useful purpose and obviously causes intimidation and apprehension if practiced among the general public. This is one of those situations where even though you have a legal or constitutional right to do something it may not be right by society standards to do so."

Typical LEO response......

I wrote the Sheriff back:

Dear Sir,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the clairification in regards to the "Open Carry" issue in St Charles County. I also want to thank you for your advice regarding the issue.

Although I disagree with you in that you say that it "serves no useful purpose". I will let that go as a personal opinion but will take it under consideration.

I do have a suggestion.

The St. Charles County Sheriff's department has juristiction over the entire county. I would think it would behoove the entire department to be up to date with the local ordinances so as not to have confusion regarding this issue or any other for that matter.

I realize that this is a large undertaking, and like I said.....it is just a suggestion.

Thanks again for your time and your response.

His response..:

"The Sheriff’s Department does not have jurisdiction over the entire County in a First Class County with a Charter, which we are. We cannot force ordinances on Cities within the County nor can we enforce ordinances enacted by the Cities. Just a technical issue but thought I would pass it on. We can enforce State Statutes Countywide but usually do not encroach on the cities for this purpose out of professional courtesy and we really have enough to keep us busy in the unincorporated portion of the county. Thanks for your inquiry as an open dialogue is healthy for the exchange of ideas and opinions."

I must say....I was a bit impressed...

cash50

imported post

zeke---email him back and ask him why he and his Deputies do it then...

I'd love to hear his response to that.

Article1section23

imported post

cash50 wrote:
zeke---email him back and ask him why he and his Deputies do it then...

I'd love to hear his response to that.
No need to get into it with them. They stated it's ok.

DarenGlock23

imported post

County yes but cities no. St chuck itself is as is st peters. I shop there since warrenton is no oc. But in st Charles co I think those are the only two cities you can. Haven't looked all of em up.

zekester

imported post

I had to write him back...

"Very interesting and useful information. Thanks...I was not aware of this.

I agree with you on the open dialogue and trully appreciate your responses and thank you for your services to the County.."

His reply...

"You are quite welcome "

Class act in my book...

cash50

imported post

I wouldn't rush out and call him classy. He defended his two Deputies creeping around an old ladies house at 2 in the morning looking for her son whonever lived there.

No warrant but they just come stomping around the property, walking all around it.

This doesn't make him a POS or anything, but what the hell?

And then in your email he interjects a whole bunch of his gayopinion saying "OC serves no purpose"...well that's great Mr. Sheriff then you and your deputies can turn in your guns, too, or at least hide them...so nobody gets scared.

zekester

imported post

cash50 wrote:
I wouldn't rush out and call him classy. He defended his two Deputies creeping around an old ladies house at 2 in the morning looking for her son whonever lived there.

No warrant but they just come stomping around the property, walking all around it.

This doesn't make him a POS or anything, but what the hell?

And then in your email he interjects a whole bunch of his gayopinion saying "OC serves no purpose"...well that's great Mr. Sheriff then you and your deputies can turn in your guns, too, or at least hide them...so nobody gets scared.

I know about the 2am story....wrong timing, and yes...bad judgement...but they were still only doing their job. As far as the deputies OC'ing, number oneit is legal for them as is it for us, and it is also required for their job.

I realize that some of you have a bad taste in your mouth in regards to the LEO, but you also must realize that they do not have a terribly easy job.

They want to go home every night. I will go home every night, I sell plumbing. I carry yes, but I don't have to go on a call and have to worry too much that my customer will pull a gun on me. If he does, I will be ready. Every call for a LEO...they can't take that chance.

As long as they are aware that it is legal to OC....I have no problem them stopping me and asking questions. The officers which I have spoke with also realize that if you are "bad guy"....you aren't going to OC anyway.

I guess my point is, let them do their job. If you get stopped, it is only part of the steps that have to be made until OC is more accepted.

IMO

ZEKE