• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do after a shooting

younggun20

imported post

I do not have my CWP and in Utah must be 2 mechanical operations away from firing when carrying.

So what I have been thinking about the last couple days is if i had to pull and fire, what should i do after? I mean obviously call 911 but should i leave the weapon as is and re holster,should i unload and re holster, leave weapon as is and lay it on the ground.

If I left it loaded and re holstered could i be charged with carrying a loaded weapon without a CWP? Any input is appreciated.

DEFENSOR

imported post

The best thing to do is to clear the weapon completely and reholster, no accidental discharges due to the stress of the event. Call 911 and don't forget to tell them that you are carrying so they can't accuse you of trying to ambush the cops. Render aid to unfortunate misguided attacker, this shows your compassion andcontinued attempt to preserve life. First yours and then his. While rendering aid attempt tocontact any possible witnesses. If they can not stay on scene get contact information and inform them thatyou have already called for help. If I have missed anything somebody help me out. Good luck and stay safe.

Defensor out

r6-rider

imported post

I would just reholster it as it was before the discharge (what ever way is legal) but being as you acted in self defense sometimes the police will be more lenient on that kind of stuff.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
The best thing to do is to clear the weapon completely and reholster, no accidental discharges due to the stress of the event. Call 911 and don't forget to tell them that you are carrying so they can't accuse you of trying to ambush the cops. Render aid to unfortunate misguided attacker, this shows your compassion andcontinued attempt to preserve life. First yours and then his. While rendering aid attempt tocontact any possible witnesses. If they can not stay on scene get contact information and inform them thatyou have already called for help. If I have missed anything somebody help me out. Good luck and stay safe.

Defensor out
Call 911

No. Safety the weapon and reholster it if the attacker is completely disabled... or dead. Take the gunbelt off and hold it away from your body (arms length) when the cops arrive. Do not pick up spent brass or dropped magazines. If the attacker is not dead, hold them at bay 'til the cops arrive, then do the arms length trick.

You have no duty to render aid to an attacker and may be subject to a lawsuit for doing so. Let the EMT's handle it if they're still breathing. You also do not want to come in contact with blood or other bodily fluids. The possibility of AIDS is your own death sentence. Don't move the body of the attackerat all. Another opening for a suite if they survive. If they're armed, secure the weapon with your foot. (Stand on it.) Don't pick it up.

Witnesses may or may not cooperate. Forget it. You've still got a gun on you. Let the cops round up witnesses and take statements.

younggun20

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
You have no duty to render aid to an attacker and may be subject to a lawsuit for doing so. Let the EMT's handle it if they're still breathing.
I never thought of that. I would think trying to save their life would look better on you than letting them lay there dying. But im glad you brought that up that makes alot more sense.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
You have no duty to render aid to an attacker and may be subject to a lawsuit for doing so. Let the EMT's handle it if they're still breathing.
I never thought of that. I would think trying to save their life would look better on you than letting them lay there dying. But im glad you brought that up that makes alot more sense.
Not you're fault they're dying. Actions have consequences.

UtahJarhead

imported post

Careful. ;) Utah has some of the most conservative gun laws in the country! 2 actions is perfectly fine without a CFP. You won't find a more gun friendly state. Brady's score of 0 sorta proves this in a way.

To answer the OP's question, if the BG has been 'neutralized' either by being unconscious, dead, etc... then my advice is to fully unload it as it was beforehand. If it's me, unless I'm positive he cannot fight back, I will return it to 'Utah unloaded' and holster it and place my hands in full plain view and when the police arrive tell them you need to speak with a lawyer.

If for any reason, you are not 100% sure that the BG is neutralized and may still attack you, it's very imperative that you keep your gun trained on the BG, but you HAVE to make sure Law Enforcement is aware that it's YOU that is armed now and not the bad guy.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Having shot a BG... "How many rounds did you fire?" ("one") Looks at pistol... States 'One round fired' Notes flash marks on cylinder. Spent round in corresponding cylinder.They kept that. Then they measured the distance. (46') Why did you shoot? (He was goin' for his gun.)

So... you surrender the weapon in the condition it was when you ceased fire.

AbNo

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
If it's me, unless I'm positive he cannot fight back, I will return it to 'Utah unloaded' and holster it and place my hands in full plain view and when the police arrive tell them you need to speak with a lawyer.

If for any reason, you are not 100% sure that the BG is neutralized and may still attack you, it's very imperative that you keep your gun trained on the BG, but you HAVE to make sure Law Enforcement is aware that it's YOU that is armed now and not the bad guy.
Damn Marines can never make up their minds. :D

Unless the guy has a hole in his head through which I can see daylight, I'm not 100% certain of anything.

To add to that, during WWII, Finnish marksman Simo Häyhä (look this guy up) was said that "half his head was missing" when the Soviets captured him. He woke up about a week later, and lived another 62 years after that.

UtahJarhead

imported post

haha, yeah I've read about him in the past. And it looks like I stated that backwards up there! Whhat I meant to say was if I'm certain that he has no chance of fighting back, my gun is not getting re-holstered until a cop asks me to.

Mississippian

imported post

The first thing I will do after the threat is neutralized and before the police arrive is pee on myself to show just how much Ibelieved my life was in danger and who knows, I may even start having chest pains!;)

thumper

imported post

You must top off or reload and prepare to fire. After the threat is neutralized, you must contact a IIa attorney. If you have not already sought safe cover, then do so. If you are still there when LE arrives, then comply. You can always contact them later, like from theIIa lawyer's office. Prepare for fecal hurricane.

STOGIE

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
You have no duty to render aid to an attacker and may be subject to a lawsuit for doing so.

When I took my CCW class the instructor said that "by calling 911 you rendered 1st aid to the best of your trained skill level... unless you are some sort of medical professional and trained in saving lives."

I'm not a lawyer nor do I claim to know what the best thing to do in this situation, I'm just passing along the information that was given to me....

younggun20

imported post

Mississippian wrote:
The first thing I will do after the threat is neutralized and before the police arrive is pee on myself to show just how much Ibelieved my life was in danger and who knows, I may even start having chest pains!;)
That is hilarious!
Cops response: "Well son you pissed yourself while drawing, firing 3 well placed shots all within an inch of each other on a moving target."

DEFENSOR

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
DEFENSOR wrote:

Defensor out
Call 911

You have no duty to render aid to an attacker and may be subject to a lawsuit for doing so. Let the EMT's handle it if they're still breathing. You also do not want to come in contact with blood or other bodily fluids. The possibility of AIDS is your own death sentence. Don't move the body of the attackerat all. Another
Just for the record, I never stated nor could it be implied in this situation that there exists a duty to render aid. If you reread my post it spells out the reason that I listed rendering aid as an appropriate action. When, in a court of law you are being portrayed as a murderous monster your attorney can counter, citing your attempt to "preserve life" After all we do not employ deadly force in self defense with the specificintent that it yield deadly results. If you admitted to thatin court you may very well blow your entire defense even if your actions were justified.

I would be no more sympathetic than anyone else here to the plight of this attacker. If he dies There is a distinct element of regret. This is easily put into perspective in the comforting knowledge that it had to beone of us and it wasn't me.

Defensor out

buster81

imported post

Unless the criminal has a medical report pinned to his chest showing him to be clean from all infectious diseases, it might be a good idea topass on getting anywhere near him while he is spreading bodily fluids about.

Dahwg

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
DEFENSOR wrote:
          The best thing to do is to clear the weapon completely and reholster, no accidental discharges due to the stress of the event. Call 911 and don't forget to tell them that you are carrying so they can't accuse you of trying to ambush the cops. Render aid to unfortunate misguided attacker, this shows your compassion and continued attempt to preserve life. First yours and then his. While rendering aid attempt to contact any possible witnesses. If they can not stay on scene get contact information and inform them that you have already called for help. If I have missed anything somebody help me out. Good luck and stay safe.

Defensor out 
Call 911

No.  Safety the weapon and reholster it if the attacker is completely disabled... or dead.  Take the gunbelt off and hold it away from your body (arms length) when the cops arrive.  Do not pick up spent brass or dropped magazines.  If the attacker is not dead, hold them at bay 'til the cops arrive, then do the arms length trick.

You have no duty to render aid to an attacker and may be subject to a lawsuit for doing so.  Let the EMT's handle it if they're still breathing.  You also do not want to come in contact with blood or other bodily fluids.  The possibility of AIDS is your own death sentence.  Don't move the body of the attacker at all.  Another opening for a suite if they survive.  If they're armed, secure the weapon with your foot.  (Stand on it.)  Don't pick it up.

Witnesses may or may not cooperate.  Forget it. You've still got a gun on you. Let the cops round up witnesses and take statements.

Normally I'd agree with everything you just said Sonora, especially the Aids part, but you may be wrong on one point. You probably can't get sued for rendering aid under either Utah or Arizona's Good Samaritan Laws.

UTAH

78-11-22. Good Samaritan Act.

A person who renders emergency care at or near the scene of, or during an emergency, gratuitously and in good faith, is not liable for any civil damages or penalties as a result of any act or omission by the person rendering the emergency care, unless the person is grossly negligent or caused the emergency. As used in this section, "emergency" means an unexpected occurrence involving injury, threat of injury, or illness to a person or the public, including motor vehicle accidents, disasters, actual or threatened discharges, removal, or disposal of hazardous materials, and other accidents or events of a similar nature. "Emergency care" includes actual assistance or advice offered to avoid, mitigate, or attempt to mitigate the effects of an emergency.

ARIZONA

ARS 32-1471
Any health care provider licensed or certified to practice as such in this state or elsewhere, or a licensed ambulance attendant, driver or pilot as defined in section 41-1831, or any other person who renders emergency care at a public gathering or at the scene of an emergency occurrence gratuitously and in good faith shall not be liable for any civil or other damages as the result of any act or omission by such person rendering the emergency care, or as the result of any act or failure to act to provide or arrange for further medical treatment or care for the injured persons, unless such person, while rendering such emergency care, is guilty of gross negligence.

The reason I said probably can't get sued is the "in good faith" part. You're the one that shot the miscreant they may not think you're acting in good faith.