• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone in the westminster area free saturday?

groovedrummer

imported post

Ive been a reader of this web site for quite a while now and Im very happy with the people and the vibe...but Ive sadly never gotten around to officially joining and contributing anything, so I figure maybe this would be a good way to make up for it.

I was thinking that it might be nice to start a little relaxed get together every first and third Saturday of every month at the Starbucks on the south west corner of 104th and federal starting this upcoming Saturday from 9am to 10am.

Me and a buddy of mine will be there from about 9 to 10am

If a few of you can make it, great! Im sure there will be some fun conversation (related to EVERYTHING, not just open carry) and it would been awesome to have a more regular get together to look forward to. :)

I hope to see you there :)

Jered

cscitney87

imported post

Welcome. What type of handgun do you own? Do you have an CHP? How long have you been carrying or have you not taken the plunge yet? Glad to see you here! Thanks for joining the group.

I don't see making it up there alllll the time but sure once or twice is no problem.

mahkagari

imported post

I'm not too far north of there but my daughters have a dance class at that time. I'll try to make it occasionally.

Unsolicited advice for this kind of thing:

Keep at it. You might spend months before it is more than just you and your friend until other people see it as a regular event to attend. Consider it a nice day, a nice cup of coffee, hanging out with you and a friend or two, or just collecting your thoughts reading the paper.

Don't make it a big deal. Make your gun incidental. Not the focus of your visit. That's what we want, right? For people to see OCing as "normal"? Be a nice guy reading the paper or having a cup of coffee with a friend who just happens to be carrying. Not someone with a chip on his shoulder daring someone to make an issue of it.

Be friendly. Make yourself a welcome presence to show that OCers and gun enthusiasts are normal andintelligent, not ignorant rednecks. Tip well. Be a good customer. Get to know the staff.

SMILE. Even when you get a dirty look. It's hard to relate a story of running into "some wacko in *$ who was being a jerk about OCing and rubbing it in everyone's faces" when you're minding your own business except to give a polite, friendly acknowledgement of everyone else's right to exist.

groovedrummer

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Welcome. What type of handgun do you own? Do you have an CHP? How long have you been carrying or have you not taken the plunge yet? Glad to see you here! Thanks for joining the group.

I don't see making it up there alllll the time but sure once or twice is no problem.
Well I sure do appreciate your friendliness!

I own a few handguns (all 1911s) but my favorite one to carry is my .45 Colt series 70...don't get me wrong though, I have absolutely nothing against other types and manufactures, over the years Ive extensively shot Sig, Taurus 24/7s & 845s, Glocks, Xds and a mess of other types but the 1911s and I just have an understanding.

I do not have my CCW yet. Ive spent most of my recent years in north Utah, Wyoming and Montana where in my experience open carry is a non-issue. open carry is very convenient for me and not stressful at all, so its been hard up until now for me to justify all the fees, but I am applying this month just for the sake of having it *shrugs* Ive been carrying handguns on my hip for years, but only out in the open in city's for about a year now...its been positive-ish :), Ive been drawn down on by the police a couple times and talk to em more times than I can count but I have a strong spine, im very friendly, cooperative and I have "right" on my side so its nothing to steer me away from carrying.

What about you brother?
How long have you been carrying?
Whats your preferred method of carry?
What do you like to carry?

when ever you can make it, It would be great to meet ya.

groovedrummer

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
Don't make it a big deal. Make your gun incidental. Not the focus of your visit. That's what we want, right? For people to see OCing as "normal"? Be a nice guy reading the paper or having a cup of coffee with a friend who just happens to be carrying. Not someone with a chip on his shoulder daring someone to make an issue of it.
well yes sir, I fully agree.

Im not seeking confrontation at all and never have been...I actually cannot believe that carrying a gun is a big deal.

I wanted to start somthing like this for the conversation and sense of community with people I have a bit more in common.

BTW Saturday at noon was just the first shot in the dark..if a later time Saturday or even Sunday would work and be more convenient for more people then just let me know, nothing is set in stone.

I do appreciate your response and hope to see you there sometime :)

mahkagari

imported post

ItTakesAWolf wrote:
BTW Saturday at noon was just the first shot in the dark..if a later time Saturday or even Sunday would work and be more convenient for more people then just let me know, nothing is set in stone.

Go with what works for you. If it's regular, people will arrange their schedules. Morning coffee might be easier for people to arrange than lunch in the middle of the day.

If you build it, they will come......

groovedrummer

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
ItTakesAWolf wrote:

Go with what works for you. If it's regular, people will arrange their schedules. Morning coffee might be easier for people to arrange than lunch in the middle of the day.

If you build it, they will come......
For sure, well then for the first adjustment of the plan...my buddy and I will be at the Starbucks on the south west corner of 104th and federal on Saturday the 3rd from 9am to 10am :)

cscitney87

imported post

ItTakesAWolf wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

What about you brother?

I purchased my first handgun, a Taurus model PT745; a couple years ago. I've been carrying it, openly, for just over a year now. I applied for my CHP a couple weeks ago- which gives me about 75 more days to wait. I'll have it by June, according to law (90 days). I primarily got the permit to carry in my home-state; Michigan. As a side note; I spend time in Denver- I'll be carrying there once I can. I actually own a HI Point .40SW and have a Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm at my disposal. I carry my Taurus everyday, since it's the smallest/lightest, and I use a nylon hip holster.

Ditto to the meet.

groovedrummer

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
ItTakesAWolf wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

What about you brother?

I purchased my first handgun, a Taurus model PT745; a couple years ago. I've been carrying it, openly, for just over a year now. I applied for my CHP a couple weeks ago- which gives me about 75 more days to wait. I'll have it by June, according to law (90 days). I primarily got the permit to carry in my home-state; Michigan. As a side note; I spend time in Denver- I'll be carrying there once I can. I actually own a HI Point .40SW and have a Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm at my disposal. I carry my Taurus everyday, since it's the smallest/lightest, and I use a nylon hip holster.

Ditto to the meet.
Right on, my grandmother has her CCW and carries that same Taurus, she has a couple other little blasters but that millennium is her main mammy jammy. she seems to like the feel, size and weight and its been reliable, and you sure cant argue with the price. I dont think she paid more than $400 out the door.

groovedrummer

imported post

Started thinking it would be cool to have a picture or two of the first of hopefully many morning coffee meets.

would anyone mind if I bring a camera for a quick group shot?

Diocoles

imported post

I know wifey has some plans, but tentatively we'll try to make it.

Have to see how the schedule holds.

I'm out in Saudi Aurora, so it's a bit of a drive.

Hoping she has plans out that way...

S

scubabeme

imported post

I call it that cuz it's so blasted far east.

No issue with a camera--'twon't be the first that gets posted here in forum 13!

Diocoles

imported post

scubabeme wrote:
I call it that cuz it's so blasted far east.

No issue with a camera--'twon't be the first that gets posted here in forum 13!

Absolutely.

We ride camels out here it's so far from everything....

Suburban78

imported post

I will also try to make it. Have yet to make a gathering on the north end of town yet. Was hopeing to make the Co.Springs meet but have to help a friend move in the afternoon so this meet will work. Just to make sure, 104th & I-25 Starbucks 9-10am.

groovedrummer

imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
I will also try to make it. Have yet to make a gathering on the north end of town yet. Was hopeing to make the Co.Springs meet but have to help a friend move in the afternoon so this meet will work. Just to make sure, 104th & I-25 Starbucks 9-10am.

104th and Federal, 9am-10am-ish, Saturday the 3rd and then every other Saturday after that.

Im thinking that the location shouldn't be the same every time, Lets make it Starbucks because of there friendly policy, but move the meeting around the city.
That way people who are not able to travel as far could make it to a gathering when its in there part of town. or people who have already traveled very far for past gatherings could have one closer to them.

If you have a Starbucks location that you would like to suggest for a possible gathering on Saturday, April 17th , just post the location here (if there are multiple suggestions we can pull out of a hat at the meeting the week before.) What do yall think?

anyway, the big black dot marks the spot for the meeting on the 3rd.

(picture on the second page.)