• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi new to open carry

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tntorqu wrote:
Guys im trying to teach my wife as much as i can!!! But don't get off topic. Just send her the sites that she may need because i don't have much time to show her.
Just for background and general enthusiasm, let her look at and absorb the info found on the below link. Written by a woman for women.
http://corneredcat.com/

Yata hey

estcrh

imported post

tntorqu wrote:
Guys im trying to teach my wife as much as i can!!! But don't get off topic. Just send her the sites that she may need because i don't have much time to show her.
As someone who has ACTUAL experience dealing with L.A law enforcement in regards to open carry laws and their enforcement (as opposed to the arm chair generals here)
I can tell you that having an concealed permit on you when open carrying is a good idea for a number of reasons...also having your gun receipt on you as well. I have had to used my gun while open carrying and I speak from experience. Not only have I talked with the D.A.s office on this matter and the commander of my local police dist and local officers.

I gave all the current laws and regulations and all the open carry court rulings I could find to a well know local attorney and he gave me a written opinion on the legality of open carry laws which I carry with me as well. I live part time in A.Z.and open carry with no problem there.... but L.A. is a different thing...whats legal and whats recognized as being legal by the local authorities is a different matter.
School zones are also a consideration. Any written proof that says that you are legally able to own a gun (a cc permit does just this) and that the gun itself is legal (your receipt) will help local officers decide if they should leave you alone or not. If you want to be the next court test case then go ahead and maybe were you live and want to carry you will never have a problem but I am giving advise to some one who is new to open carry and they can read for THEMSELVES and decide what information to use.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

estcrh wrote:
tntorqu wrote:
As someone who has ACTUAL experience dealing with L.A law enforcement in regards to open carry laws and their enforcement (as opposed to the arm chair generals here)
I can tell you that having an concealed permit on you when open carrying is a good idea for a number of reasons...also having your gun receipt on you as well. I have had to used my gun while open carrying and I speak from experience. Not only have I talked with the D.A.s office on this matter and the commander of my local police dist and local officers.

I gave all the current laws and regulations and all the open carry court rulings I could find to a well know local attorney and he gave me a written opinion on the legality of open carry laws which I carry with me as well. I live part time in A.Z.and open carry with no problem there.... but L.A. is a different thing...whats legal and whats recognized as being legal by the local authorities is a different matter.
School zones are also a consideration. Any written proof that says that you are legally able to own a gun (a cc permit does just this) and that the gun itself is legal (your receipt) will help local officers decide if they should leave you alone or not. If you want to be the next court test case then go ahead and maybe were you live and want to carry you will never have a problem but I am giving advise to some one who is new to open carry and they can read for THEMSELVES and decide what information to use.
Probably OT, but gotta ask - What is going on here? Why you being insulting to other posters? What is your rank - one star or two?

When you encourage someone to show papers (extra legal) i.e. permit and receipt for a gun (are you serious?) for an obviously protected right that requires no "legal opinion" from an attorney, you become part of the problem. Can't believe what I am reading. You could carry an unabridged code book with you for that matter - the street is NOT the place to debate legalities.

If someone does not have the knowledge or confidence to handle a terry stop in a municipality known to be aggressively anti-OC, then I suggest that they initially gain some time on the ground w/experienced OCer, hone their confidence in friendlier areas, and obviously know the laws. That is good simple logic in any event.

Yata hey

estcrh

imported post

When you encourage someone to show papers (extra legal) i.e. permit and receipt for a gun (are you serious?) for an obviously protected right that requires no "legal opinion" from an attorney, you become part of the problem.   Can't believe what I am reading.  You could carry an unabridged code book with you for that matter - the street is NOT the place to debate legalities.

If someone does not have the knowledge or confidence to handle a terry stop in a municipality known to be aggressively anti-OC, then I suggest that they initially gain some time on the ground w/experienced OCer, hone their confidence in friendlier areas, and obviously know the laws.  That is good simple logic in any event.
Learn to read....I was not encouraging someone to SHOW papers...I was encouraging them to have the papers on them....have you ever had to use your open carry gun????...well I have and I am giving someone ACTUAL information which can and will help avoid possible problems which might come up from carrying a weapon openly in L.A.

It does not matter what your rights are if the police officer asking you questions does not know or recognize your rights. How often I post here does not have anything to do with how much I know about the subject! My information is provided for the original poster and they can decide to use it or not...if anyone here has some different information feel free to post your thoughts on the subject instead of trying to attack my post....once again...I have had to use my gun to defend myself while open carrying in New Orleans..I have had to deal with the results of this first hand.

I have talked personally with the D.A.s office..the local police commander and the local officers here and I know their thoughts on the subject of citizens open carrying in New Orleans...if anyone doubts me come to the French Quarter and try to open carry here without taking the precautions I have suggested and see what happens to your RIGHT to openly carry a gun!!!!

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
When you encourage someone to show papers (extra legal) i.e. permit and receipt for a gun (are you serious?) for an obviously protected right that requires no "legal opinion" from an attorney, you become part of the problem. Can't believe what I am reading. You could carry an unabridged code book with you for that matter - the street is NOT the place to debate legalities.

If someone does not have the knowledge or confidence to handle a terry stop in a municipality known to be aggressively anti-OC, then I suggest that they initially gain some time on the ground w/experienced OCer, hone their confidence in friendlier areas, and obviously know the laws. That is good simple logic in any event.
Learn to read....I was not encouraging someone to SHOW papers...I was encouraging them to have the papers on them....have you ever had to use your open carry gun????...well I have and I am giving someone ACTUAL information which can and will help avoid possible problems which might come up from carrying a weapon openly in L.A.

It does not matter what your rights are if the police officer asking you questions does not know or recognize your rights. How often I post here does not have anything to do with how much I know about the subject! My information is provided for the original poster and they can decide to use it or not...if anyone here has some different information feel free to post your thoughts on the subject instead of trying to attack my post....once again...I have had to use my gun to defend myself while open carrying in New Orleans..I have had to deal with the results of this first hand.

I have talked personally with the D.A.s office..the local police commander and the local officers here and I know their thoughts on the subject of citizens open carrying in New Orleans...if anyone doubts me come to the French Quarter and try to open carry here without taking the precautions I have suggested and see what happens to your RIGHT to openly carry a gun!!!!
Let's break this down:

"I was not encouraging someone to SHOW papers...I was encouraging them to have the papers on them". Uh huh - you should just HAVE them, not USE or SHOW them. Kinda defeats your stated purpose for HAVING them to SHOW to the police if something goes down.

"It does not matter what your rights are if the police officer asking you questions does not know or recognize your rights." Wrong! Your rights are not suspended because a police officer does not know or recognize your rights.

"I have talked personally with the D.A.s office..the local police commander and the local officers here and I know their thoughts on the subject of citizens open carrying in New Orleans" And? Why do I care what their THOUGHTS and OPINIONS are? Will their THOUGHTS and OPINIONS hold up in a court of law?

"if anyone doubts me come to the French Quarter and try to open carry here without taking the precautions I have suggested and see what happens to your RIGHT to openly carry a gun" I open carry in the Quarter and on Frenchman street on a daily basis. I do not carry a concealed carry permit while open carrying.

In summary, THIS ADVICE SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED. In my opinion, of course.

barf

imported post

Your advice to the OP sucks. You basically say that you don't care about your rights and take whatever the police tell you as gospel. I think you need a refresher course on the constitution of the state of Louisiana.

Care to reply to any of the things I pointed out in your previous post that make no sense, or are you going to reply with more nonsense?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

estcrh wrote:
snipped in its entirety
First my apologies to the OP - I trust that you have enough basic information to point you in the right direction. Do not judge us by the bad behavior and attitude of one or a few. You might look into talking to a few people this La. group:
http://www.laopencarry.org

estcrh:

Your unfortunate circumstance regarding a criminal attack and subsequent interaction with law enforcement does not make you an expert in recommended policy or procedure. It merely means that you have had what we call an "event." There are those that might suggest that if the vitriol expressed here is any example of how you conduct yourself, you may well have been contributory to the problem.

Neither does it give you license to attack the cognitive ability of others nor take an aggressively insulting posture. Point of fact - such is in direct violation of OCDO rules.

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks [/font]
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

What might be humorous under other circumstances is your position that ONLY Mark (MEM) and one other comment on your advice - particularly since MEM has so vocally berated others for giving in to the unlawful demands of LEOs for the sake of their comfort or convenience.

You have not the authority nor the credibility to determine what is "fine" or who should "keep it to yourself."

You, sir, are out of line and that is worth a considerably greater sum than you have paid for it.

Yata hey

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
Your advice to the OP sucks.  You basically say that you don't care about your rights and take whatever the police tell you as gospel.  I think you need a refresher course on the constitution of the state of Louisiana.

Care to reply to any of the things I pointed out in your previous post that make no sense, or are you going to reply with more nonsense?
Why dont you answer me????...do you open carry down Bourbon st.????..

estcrh

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
estcrh wrote:
snipped in its entirety
First my apologies to the OP - I trust that you have enough basic information to point you in the right direction.  Do not judge us by the bad behavior and attitude of one or a few.  You might look into talking to a few people this La. group:
http://www.laopencarry.org

estcrh:

Your unfortunate circumstance regarding a criminal attack and subsequent interaction with law enforcement does not make you an expert in recommended policy or procedure.  It merely means that you have had what we call an "event."  There are those that might suggest that if the vitriol expressed here is any example of how you conduct yourself, you may well have been contributory to the problem.

Neither does it give you license to attack the cognitive ability of others nor take an aggressively insulting posture.  Point of fact - such is in direct violation of OCDO rules.

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks [/font]
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

What might be humorous under other circumstances is your position that ONLY Mark (MEM) and one other comment on your advice - particularly since MEM has so vocally berated others for giving in to the unlawful demands of LEOs for the sake of their comfort or convenience.

You have not the authority nor the credibility to determine what is "fine" or who should "keep it to yourself." 

You, sir, are out of line and that is worth a considerably greater sum than you have paid for it.

Yata hey
"we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks" what you mean is..that you do not like being personally attacked...but you and others here do not think that applies to yourselves...I attacked no one...I defended myself...learn to recgonize the difference. Eloquent writing does not necessarily mean intelligent thoughts are contained within the writing, sometimes its used as a means to hide a LACK of real substance...my own personal opinion:cuss:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

estcrh wrote:
"we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks" what you mean is..that you do not like being personally attacked...but you and others here do not think that applies to yourselves...I attacked no one...I defended myself...learn to recgonize the difference. Eloquent writing does not necessarily mean intelligent thoughts are contained within the writing, sometimes its used as a means to hide a LACK of real substance...my own personal opinion:cuss:
When nothing constructive is presented and no rebuttal offered for facts in evidence, your defense for ignoring the rules is that the other spoke too well? Interesting, but not an effective closing.

Not only have common sense rules of conduct been breached, but so too have remarks been made that trample on but the most base standards of morality. I note that overnight these were deleted from a companion thread, but feel confident that they can be retrieved or were saved.

Your words proclaim loudly that which we find most repugnant.

Yata hey

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:
Your advice to the OP sucks. You basically say that you don't care about your rights and take whatever the police tell you as gospel. I think you need a refresher course on the constitution of the state of Louisiana.

Why dont you answer me????...do you open carry down Bourbon st.????..
Sure, I'll reply to your questions. Will you have the guts to reply to mine?

I stated that I open carry in the Quarter, which I do. My almost daily strolls are through the French Market and surrounding area. Since I don't frequent the establishments on Bourbon Street while OCing, I don't OC there. I don't OC to simply make a point - it's part of my everyday life.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tntorqu wrote:
No disrespect to anyone, but ya'll have really blew this topic out of the water.
Confusion reigns supreme and also no disrespect intended.

[line]
tntorqu wrote:
Thread title: "Hi I'm new to open carry"

Your original post was quite "open ended: and generic insofar as what you were trying to teach your wife. This forum is hardly in a position to be a classroom shortcut to becoming an experienced, responsible OCer; but many will be more than willing to share their viewpoints and knowledge.

IMO - the best way to gain confidence is through spending time with and personally viewing others. Q & A sessions invariably come into play. Itis NOT an overnight process. It is indeed a shame you don't have more time to show her the ropes.

"Just send her the sites(?)" - we read that as provide some links - still pretty broad and generic. Is there a chapter of the Second Amendment Sisters in your area?

Generally, I think most presumed that she is/was what we regularly call a newbie- a neophyte and a number of posters gave some rather valid recommendations. That would appear to be very much on topic.

Again let me stress that I mean no offense and take none. Perhaps a new thread with a better targeted request is in order.

[line]As to why this topic/thread and others have been blown out of the water?

The Louisiana sub-forum is an interesting one with a growing nucleus of responsible and dedicated people.

But ladies and gentlemen there is here, an easily observable and reoccurring cadre of agent provocateurs, trolls and facilitators of discontent - misinformation, ridicule, insults, ignoring good manners and the rules are their preferred tools.

No state sub-forum, nor for that matter OCDO in its entirety, is free from the occasional gate crasher.

Unfortunately you have been enjoying a greater concentration than most others and for some time. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and dismiss the effectiveness of this forum - you are suffering growing pains.

Report the obvious and egregious offenders succinctly and be patient. Try to keep focused on the facts and not personalities - not always easy, but try. One of the best techniques I've found for dealing with problems from within (not errors of fact, law, rules or policy - cite them) is to ignore them - remember the word "shun?" Not everyone here need be your friend, but hopefully the commonality of purpose and cause will bind you together.

See a thread that you know has no merit but to fan the flames, ignore it! Let it dry up and blow away without response.

Encourage and support each other - to blatantly plagiarize - Ask not what OCDO can do for you, but what YOU can do for OCDO. Open your arms , hearts and minds.

Carry responsibly whenever and wherever you can- preferably OCing.

[line]So where do I get off speaking my mind so in YOUR backyard? Well because this is where I live and breath - this is my home too - I'm just a couple of blocks away, in the same neighborhood - just a little ways up the coast.

I'm just one person and my opinion counts no more than yours..........................
............. Are you up for it? Are you, your rights and the experience of living in what is to me a very challenging and exciting time not worth the price of admission here at OCDO.

That's the condensed version - want the unabridged set? It'll cost you a cup of coffee. :lol:

Yata hey

Summit_Ace

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
estcrh wrote:
When nothing constructive is presented and no rebuttal offered for facts in evidence, your defense for ignoring the rules is that the other spoke too well? Interesting, but not an effective closing.

Not only have common sense rules of conduct been breached, but so too have remarks been made that trample on but the most base standards of morality. I note that overnight these were deleted from a companion thread, but feel confident that they can be retrieved or were saved.

Your words proclaim loudly that which we find most repugnant.

Yata hey
Holy crap, who are you, and what is the deal?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey folks, I've met estrch before in person. Please forgive him his brusqueness, but he HAS, in fact, had a bit of a difficult time with the NOPD in the French Quarter. I attended a citizen/NOPD meeting with him where the lieutenant in charge voiced his displeasure with OC, even as he aknowledged its being a legal right. Not long after that meeting, a very popular Quarter bartender was killed by armed robbers not far from estrch's home. She was killed because they thought she was "dissing" them.

If you go searching for estrch's posts, you'll find it all on here somewhere.

I do have to wonder about his idea that having a CHP helps with the police, though. Is it because they feel that if you pass a background check that you are OK?

Masher

imported post

Haven't been on in a few weeks. Here we go again.

I cant really think of a reason to open carry on Bourbon unless you are going down threre for a lunch or dinner at an eating establishment then what kind of alcohol license they have could bar you there.

Where is MEM at? I've got the camera I'll film you cruising Bourbon strapped.