Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray Painting your Magazines

Post imported post

Don’t get me wrong I’m a huge advocate of OCing however, I’m looking to enjoy the advantages of OCing without looking like a wannabe cop or Commando while out in public. Other’s seeing my gun is one thing, but with carrying all the extra ammunition and I begin to border on looking like a caricature.

I wish to diminish the profile of my shiny metallic magazines by spray painting them black so that they blend in with the leather magazine pouch they will be resting in.

Does this sound like a good idea and if so......

Any suggestions on how to go about this task without affecting the functionality of the magazine and what type of paint I should use?
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Buy some nice gunmetal black regular magazines. Problem solved. Or carry them in a covered pouch... like most of us.

Post imported post

Duracoat them, you can do it yourself. Or covered pouch. Or back pocket.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4...at_Matte_Black

Post imported post

I'd justbuy a few "generic" magazines and go with them.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Buy some nice gunmetal black regular magazines. Problem solved. Or carry them in a covered pouch... like most of us.
    I debated for several days over the merits of a mag pouch with or without flaps and I decided that without was better. Why? Because if I ever find myself in the extreme position of having to use a second or third mag my adrenaline level is going to be so high not to mention, I’m probably going to be crouched somewhere behind cover scanning for primary and secondary threats; the last thing I want to be doing is fumbling with some flaps that are standing between me and my badly needed fresh mag. What I want to feel without even looking is cold hard steel.

I cant see a good reason to purchase a whole set of new mags when the ones I have work perfectly fine, save for the color.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Banned

Post imported post

If they are chrome mags, then have fun finding a paint that will stick.

You can take them to a body shop and have them sandblasted, or take them to a chrome shop, and they will remove the chrome for you, then you can paint them.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    If they are chrome mags, then have fun finding a paint that will stick.

You can take them to a body shop and have them sandblasted, or take them to a chrome shop, and they will remove the chrome for you, then you can paint them.
    Yes much to my chagrin they are chrome. I guess, I’ll just have to keep spray painting them as necessary. Sandblasting them is a bit too much for me.

Banned

Post imported post

just take them down to the body shop, preferably not a big chain, and with them disassembled in hand, ask them, they might do it on the spot for 5 bucks, maybe free. It would only take them a minute or two, and you might even get to talk guns with somebody. You might get farther if you can talk to one of the guys in the shop, than you will with the secretary.

Post imported post

gun blue?

Post imported post

I don't recommend sand blasting. Magazines for pistols are smooth/polished for a reason.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Banned

Post imported post

Im guessing here, but are you referring to feeding issues? If so, I could only see that if you sandblasted the inside of the mag, making it rough, this may cause an issue, especially with a double stack,. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Post imported post

I was referring to removing an empty mag and inserting a loaded mag. In a mag change the rough finish could slow down when you least want it.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Banned

Post imported post

That was my second guess. He's painting them, that would speed them up a bit, powder coating would be better for that. I guess it would come down to the gun though, my XD fits snugly enough, where a sandblasted finish would slow the mags down.

Post imported post

You could also buy new magazines and use the shinny ones for the range or training. You should have dedicated mags for training and others for carry.

Post imported post

thnycav wrote:
    You could also buy new magazines and use the shinny ones for the range or training. You should have dedicated mags for training and others for carry.
    Amen (except that the carry mags should be used during practice to test for street reliaability) Putting extra thickness on a magazine can affect reloading speed and seating. Besides, if the fight (god forbid there is one) lasts beyond the last round in the first mag, glint from a steel magaqzine is probably going to be right up there with the roster of winning "American Idol" contestants in the category of What You Need To Worry About Right Freaking NOW".

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    Amen (except that the carry mags should be used during practice to test for street reliaability) Putting extra thickness on a magazine can affect reloading speed and seating. Besides, if the fight (god forbid there is one) lasts beyond the last round in the first mag, glint from a steel magaqzine is probably going to be right up there with the roster of winning "American Idol" contestants in the category of What You Need To Worry About Right Freaking NOW".
    If you’d read my initial post you’d see I’m not worried about the glint of a shiny magazine in the mist of a firefight.

I also concur with what a previous user wrote about sandblasting affecting the ease at which the mag slides in and out, which is why I do not consider that a viable option. A thin coat of black spray paint is as far as I’m willing to go in terms of altering my mags. If that doesn’t work oh well.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

I put NP3 on a bunch of SIG 229 Mags. The slick finish of the NP3 wont hold paint very well, but it makes mag changes faster. If you want a black finish, There are several good firms doing that finish, and it won't peel off like paint.

Post imported post

I am so confused with this thread, you are not worried about people seeing your gun, your worried about them seeing the spare mags. Don't take this the wrong way but that is ludacris. If someone OC's there should be no worry at all about people seeing your spare mags. That's like having a spare tire without a rim, makes no sense. I understand that you do not want to draw attention to yourself, that being the case you should not open carry. Do you really think people will look at you differently cause of your mags vs. your gun? I'm not trying to be an A&%hole but stop and rethink you rationing. A weapon with only one mag is like carrying w/o one in the pipe. If you have a jam,FTF,FTE or anything drop the mag clear it and reload with your beautifull chromed mag. Painting, sandblasting, doing anything to alter the finish of the mag will only cause problems for you in the long run, maybe not today, but in the future it will haunt you.......Just my thoughts on the matter, WHO CARES IF PEOPLE SEE THEM.Get a mag rig that fits in your back pocket, I have seen them just like back pocket holsters for mouse guns............G30

Post imported post

ProtectedByGlock wrote:
    I am so confused with this thread, you are not worried about people seeing your gun, your worried about them seeing the spare mags. Don't take this the wrong way but that is ludacris. If someone OC's there should be no worry at all about people seeing your spare mags. That's like having a spare tire without a rim, makes no sense. I understand that you do not want to draw attention to yourself, that being the case you should not open carry. Do you really think people will look at you differently cause of your mags vs. your gun? I'm not trying to be an A&%hole but stop and rethink you rationing. A weapon with only one mag is like carrying w/o one in the pipe. If you have a jam,FTF,FTE or anything drop the mag clear it and reload with your beautifull chromed mag. Painting, sandblasting, doing anything to alter the finish of the mag will only cause problems for you in the long run, maybe not today, but in the future it will haunt you.......Just my thoughts on the matter, WHO CARES IF PEOPLE SEE THEM.Get a mag rig that fits in your back pocket, I have seen them just like back pocket holsters for mouse guns............G30
    I’m not so much concerned with drawing attention to myself by OCing That’s not what I wrote, I’m more concerned with people drawing a negative perception of those who OC. In my opinion, OCing is still in it’s infancy and I’m trying to be a positive example. People seeing the gun is one thing but seeing the two shinny extra magazines can too easily be perceived as an "in your face" approach as to say "look at me I gotta gun AND whole bunch of ammo too; I can shoot up this whole establishment if I wanted to."

As I wrote before, I don’t want to be perceived as some wanna be Commando or LEO. In the eyes of the uninitiated public all the extra ammo makes us who OC look like a walking cliché, a real-life caricature if you will, it lends credence to all the negative things said by antis about gun enthusiasts to be true.

Perception, becomes their reality.

Banned

Post imported post

The mag s for my ak pistol are orange.

Post imported post

I understand where you are coming from that point of view. But IMHO I do not think that you are going to be perceived as a commando/look at me I can kill 20 people if I want. I am just saying that you will not be wearing BDU's or a Sherriff's department shirt or bringing attention to yourself with your clothing. That will make people think differently if you wear camo,Bdu's, combat boots.... Wearing a anti-goverment t-shirt is not gonna happen. I feel if you wear professional clothing, slacks, dress shirt, etc. That everything will be o.k. Look for a mag holster that covers more of the frame of the mag. There is nothing wrong with being cautious but I really do not think the average person will judge you due to extra magazines, I would feel safer to know that you are prepared to defend yourself or even me if case all hell breaks loose. Take care my friend, G30

Post imported post

I spray paint the lower half of my pistol mags bright yellow. That way I can find them when I take a class
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

ProtectedByGlock wrote:
    I understand where you are coming from that point of view. But IMHO I do not think that you are going to be perceived as a commando/look at me I can kill 20 people if I want. I am just saying that you will not be wearing BDU's or a Sherriff's department shirt or bringing attention to yourself with your clothing. That will make people think differently if you wear camo,Bdu's, combat boots.... Wearing a anti-goverment t-shirt is not gonna happen. I feel if you wear professional clothing, slacks, dress shirt, etc. That everything will be o.k. Look for a mag holster that covers more of the frame of the mag. There is nothing wrong with being cautious but I really do not think the average person will judge you due to extra magazines, I would feel safer to know that you are prepared to defend yourself or even me if case all hell breaks loose. Take care my friend, G30
    Yeah that's what I wear all the time anyway when I'm not in uniform, dress slacks and a collared casual or dress shirt with the appropriate shoes; so long before I began carrying I wasoften asked if I was a cop. lol

Post imported post

I don't see the point of trying to hide extra magazines if you are open carrying. I typically carry an extra magazine when I carry one of my 1911s. I figure if no one ever questions or cares about my gun then why would they care about an extra mag. Besides you should be able to explain to people why you carry a firearm as well as why you would need an extra magazine (magazine failure, etc...) so it really is a non-issue in my opinion.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast