• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UFO= United Firearms Owners-Coming soon.

G

imported post

Now all we need is for Big Gay Al to chime in.

G

imported post

Warchild also had a post about CV67.

Do you still want a response warchild?

WARCHILD

imported post

If you dont mind, I was just curious. I used to work with a guy who was on the U.S.S. Forrestall when the tragedy occurred. I have always liked the floating "cities".

G

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
If you dont mind, I was just curious. I used to work with a guy who was on the U.S.S. Forrestall when the tragedy occurred. I have always liked the floating "cities".
Which tragedy?

I was on the JFK during Belknap collision.

WARCHILD

imported post

A fire on the flight deck loaded with planes already loaded with full ordinance ready for a sortie. Bombs and missiles were ignited and many of the people on deck were killed. I dont remember how many but I believe it was around 30 during the initial explosions.

ETA; That's it Auto...thanks.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
A fire on the flight deck loaded with planes already loaded with full ordinance ready for a sortie. Bombs and missiles were ignited and many of the people on deck were killed. I dont remember how many but I believe it was around 30 during the initial explosions.

ETA; That's it Auto...thanks.
134 dead
It would have been nice if it was only 30 something, even better if it were zero but there are somethings that cannot be changed

G

imported post

That's the one I figured you meant.

There were numerous fires on her.

One particular one engulfed the forward third and aft third of the 03 level where most of the airdale berthing compartments were located.

Many sailors died in their racks from the toxic fumes.

It was determined to have been arson.

G

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
John McCain was in one of the plains waiting in line to be launched. It was either his or his wing-mans plane that was hit by the dumb rocket.
Wing man"s.

G

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
John McCain was in one of the plains waiting in line to be launched. It was either his or his wing-mans plane that was hit by the dumb rocket.
Wing man"s.
Yeah the spell checker is not always my friend:lol:
I was just commenting on which aircraft got hit by the missile that launched across the flight deck.

And they were in jets too. Not plains.;)

autosurgeon

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Wing man"s.
Yeah the spell checker is not always my friend:lol:
I was just commenting on which aircraft got hit by the missile that launched across the flight deck.

And they were in jets too. Not plains.;)
Arg... I should not post when I am tired :banghead:

And yes they were in Jets... the ones who survived on that flight deck were incredibly lucky.

1245A Defender

imported post

my fav part of the documentory showed a sailor walking along side a plane they were trying to push over the side,, and he wasnt even trying to help push!!!
he had his finger stuck into the hole of the fuel tank!! (he musta heard the story about the dutch boy and the dike)
it was a zoony rocket firing off that caused the trouble.
mcain had to climb over the windshield, and out to the nose of his jet to jump off and away from the fire!

G

imported post

The USS Enterprise (CVN 65) also sustained heavy damage and a large fire resulting from a Zuni rocket misfire in January, 1969.

autosurgeon

imported post

Yeah the firing system on the Zuni rocket hard points was very susceptible to voltage spikes causing accidental launch. Mostly this happend when switch from portable power to the generators on the Jet.

I guy I used to work with that worked for General Electric during the Vietnam war was tasked with figuring this out and correcting it. They installed large capacitors inline with power feed to the arming and firing system to correct this.