• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Maryland getting friendlier?

vt800c

imported post

you still have CIVIL liability..which means the surviving thug's family can sue you for removing that floater from the gene pool.

Remember, all them thugs were just turning their life around and he was on his way to feed the people in the homeless shelter and just got out of choir practice...and all those OTHER arrests and convictions were from before, because their baby wouldn't DO something like that.

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

vt800c wrote:
you still have CIVIL liability..which means the surviving thug's family can sue you for removing that floater from the gene pool.

Remember, all them thugs were just turning their life around and he was on his way to feed the people in the homeless shelter and just got out of choir practice...and all those OTHER arrests and convictions were from before, because their baby wouldn't DO something like that.
Usually the excuse in Baltimore (often reported in an interview on WJZ), MY BABAY WAS A GOOD KID. HE MAY HAVE HAD SOME RUN INS WITH THE LAW, BUT THERE IS NO WAY HE TRIED TO HOLD SOMEONE AT KNIFE POINT AND ROB THEM. NEVERMIND THE KNIFE WOUND TO THE PIECE OF !@#$ THAT SHOT MY LITTLE ANGEL, HE PROLLY STABBED HIMSELF. NAACP WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS.

Meanwhile, their "little" angel was usually 6'+ and 220lbs+ and quite intimidating in any of the other mugshots taken in his career of crime. But, a person defending themselves... Thats just ludicrous.

Sorry, stepping down off the soap box. Former MD resident that saw that WAY too often before I moved.

Maryland Shall Issue

imported post

richarcm wrote:
My guess is that its a fluke.   Its Maryland. 

Not a fluke at all. We've been working on variations of this bill for several years and it has enjoyed great success in the House where it has passed unanimously or near so every year.

We've had tremendous support in the Senate as well but it was held up by a "desk drawer" veto of the committee chair, Brian Frosh.

I appears that the sustained pressure that we've put on him as well as the even bigger pressure that he's been feeling over doing the same to a sex offender bill has convinced him that our bill wasn't worth the fight.

On the other hand, being cynical, I wonder if the fix is in for a veto by the governor. :X

Maryland Shall Issue

imported post

gis wrote:
J  Or is this just a fluke and it won't make it past the House or Governor? 

No reason to believe that it won't pass the House as it has done every year, including this one. The problem is that Senator Middleton did not get a cross filed bill so now we must go back across the street to the House and hope that the delegates stay true to their previous vote.

The governor? Who knows...but this sure won't play well in an election year where he basically publicly admits that he is taking the sides of the criminal.

Maryland Shall Issue

imported post

vt800c wrote:

Yup....and that's what this bill begins to address. The language is not as strong as SB386 which we also supported, but it's a start.