• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacation to your fine state

Kloutier

imported post

I am about to take my Family to Arizona and just wondered is AZ a nice OC state or is it one of the stats where its "leagl" but I am going to have large amounts of shit and bad mojo sent my way.

AZkopper

imported post

Its' legal, and a non-issue.

Things to know:

1. OC is just that, OPEN CARRY. A holster that is at least partially visible to casual observation.

2. "One in the pipe" is fine, and preferred.

3. While in your vehicle, the firearm cannot be on your person without a CWP (concealed weapon permit) [statute says otherwise, but court laws have screwed things up]. Weapon must be a) visible [on seat, dash, etc], or b) holstered NOT on your person, or c) in a map pocket, glove box, or center console, d) or in a container of some sort.

4. Restaraunts and bars that serve alcohol on site may post 'no firearms' signs near their liqour license (and sometimes a courtesy sign at the door), a violation of which is a crime. If no sign is posted, CC ONLY is allowed. It is illegal to drink there while armed.

5. Private property (stores, etc) may post no firearms signs, which are similar to 'no shirt/shoes/service signs. If you ignore, you could be trespassed out.

6. Public buildings (town halls, etc) must provide storage lockers if they ban weapons.

7. If driving through tribal lands, stay on the road. leave it in your vehicle if you have to get out for gas, etc.

8. Have fun!!

AZkopper

imported post

Kloutier wrote:
Sounds great, its strange they wont let you have it holstered in the car ?

They used to, then a lib judge ruled in a case called AZ v Adams that the law didn't mean what the law meant, and that it was concealed by nature of the car not being translucent.

With any luck, our Constitutional Carry bill will become law (which passed the Senate today, and the Governor seems likely to sign, and goes to the House--where an identical bill seems to be favored). Then OC and CC will be the law of the land without a permit.

Oh, yeah, I forgot--AZ does not recognize the 1000' school zone craepola. Just stay off K-12 property.

And yes, fully loaded, one in the pipe is fine--and preferred for those unexpected guests.

*1911_man*

imported post

Wait, so i can no longer carry my sidearm in the car, on me holstered? even if its not concealed?

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

*1911_man* wrote:
Wait, so i can no longer carry my sidearm in the car, on me holstered? even if its not concealed?

According to the law you can. According to the bastard courts you can't. The car isn't translucent. Bull****. What if I walk into a store? The store isn't translucent... Holy **** I'm carrying concealed now! Wait... all the people inside the store can see my gun... so it's not concealed.... so if I have a passenger in my car, they can see my gun... not concealed.

Our court system is an abomination. Ridiculous pompous powerhungry A**holes.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I carried holstered OC in my truck for years w/o a problem. have exited... gotten back in it in the presence of LEO's including DPS.

*1911_man*

imported post

WOW. These new court things and laws and everything almost make me not want to oc anymore. they are getting WAY to anal about things, and with my luck ill forget something, get pulled over, and get charged..

Dahwg

imported post

Well hang on now. That may be what the courts said, but you'll be hard pressed to find a cop who will interpret the law that way. Should be a moot point soon though.

mzbk2l

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Well hang on now. That may be what the courts said, but you'll be hard pressed to find a cop who will interpret the law that way. Should be a moot point soon though.
Exactly. I look at this like those stories about, "You shouldn't open carry because the bad guy could take away your gun and use it against you."

Sure, they COULD do that.... but it never happens. Same thing with the fear-mongering over these court cases. A cop "could" hassle you over it, but I've never heard of it actually happening.

For the record, I open carry without a permit, and I also drive my vehicles with my holstered firearm. Like everyone else in AZ, I've not encountered any difficulties in doing so (other than getting the seat belt on comfortably). :)

I've been dedicated in my support of AZCDL on the Constitutional Carry issue, and I'll be glad when the Constitutional Carry removes that potential gray area, but I think a lot of the hype has been fear-mongering in support of a political cause. (A valid cause, but that doesn't change the fact that those court cases are blown all out of proportion in support of that cause.)

mFonz77

imported post

Here is the letter of the law on car carry:

ARS 13-3102

2. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 concealed within immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation

G. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

It does not say "visible from outside the car" or "visible from the driver-side window" it just says VISIBLE. I OC in my car all the time (yes I have a permit), but I have never had an issue with it. Just keep it holstered.

Now if you start concealing inside a car, and have passengers with you that DO NOT have a CWP, things get stickier, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

DEFENSOR

imported post

I've never OCed in Arizona but my pop was born there and he OCs when he goes back to visit. I would definately take the opportunity to carry while I was there. Oddly enough I was born and raised in Ca. But after livingin or visiting 35 states Arizona and Utah are my favorites. Good luck and safe journey.

Sincerely, Defensor

mrh2008

imported post

i was told just last week by someone on this forum that it is illegal for me to OC in my car (holstered & on the front pas. seat) before i was told that it was illegal, i was told that its fine, since then i have been keeping it holstered in the glove box (not an easy reach while im straped in) so i prefer to carry on my seat but i cant figure out if its a go or a no. any way i can get a definite answer? is there a website that i can go to for accurate info? (not that OC.org gives bad info, but im new to OC.org and dont know the good websites yet) but i'd rather be safe then sorry. :Dshould i ask some LEO's what they think? Any info would be greatly appreciated

AZkopper

imported post

As I stated, the law says it is ok. The courts have ruled otherwise. 99.99% of the time, cops just go with what is on the books. I don't know anyone who would arrest under the Adams justification (or many who even know). I just prefer to let people know what the courts have deemed a crime, regardless of whether it would realistically happen.

Don't shoot the messanger :shock: