• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spouse thoughts on open carry?

Kloutier

imported post

My likes the thought of me OCing she posted this on her face book the other day. I was very surprised

Ms. Kloutier:

has a husband who open carries his gun to protect his loved ones and those around him. Open carry is a right. use it or lose it.

Then more comments about what she would do to me if I kept her up another night with my snoring lol

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

hibby76 wrote:
Mine doesn't mind as long as she's not with me and as long as I don't run into anyone that either of us knows! I mostly CC.

So, if youmust go out together, you then do not OC, per her objection?

What is her rationale for such insistance?

hibby76

imported post

I generally conceal unless I'm in the mood to talk to strangers about guns and gun laws. If we were together and I wanted to OC, I would but she'd be nervous that we'd have to explain to someone we knew "why I was carrying a gun in a safe area".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

hibby76 wrote:
I generally conceal unless I'm in the mood to talk to strangers about guns and gun laws. If we were together and I wanted to OC, I would but she'd be nervous that we'd have to explain to someone we knew "why I was carrying a gun in a safe area".

Ahhh.

Social acceptance pressure.

What would the people you know actually say if they ran into hibby76 with a gun on his hip, do you think?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
As luck would have it, my better half is quite accepting of me being armed, and OCing most everyplace I have inclinations to do either. Her biggest objection is when I get caught talking shop with someone when I should be lending her more of hand with something. :D

But I don't understand your need to attack the particulars of another man's relationship with his wife. You act as if social acceptance is a bad thing. If someone puts on a tie and jacket when he'd prefer to wear jeans and a T-shirt is that terrible? Or is it ok if "social acceptance pressure" encourages folks to treat weddings and funerals and church services as a bit more important than a trip to the hardware store?

I don't know about others, but I carry to protect myself and those who are most important to me. What good does it do to protect them physically if I am so unbending in their feelings and concerns as to drive them out of my life?

Or does hank just like to look for a fight wherever he can find one?

Charles

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
HankT wrote:
As luck would have it, my better half is quite accepting of me being armed, and OCing most everyplace I have inclinations to do either. Her biggest objection is when I get caught talking shop with someone when I should be lending her more of hand with something. :D

But I don't understand your need to attack the particulars of another man's relationship with his wife. You act as if social acceptance is a bad thing. If someone puts on a tie and jacket when he'd prefer to wear jeans and a T-shirt is that terrible? Or is it ok if "social acceptance pressure" encourages folks to treat weddings and funerals and church services as a bit more important than a trip to the hardware store?

I don't know about others, but I carry to protect myself and those who are most important to me. What good does it do to protect them physically if I am so unbending in their feelings and concerns as to drive them out of my life?

Or does hank just like to look for a fight wherever he can find one?

UTB, how do you get "attack" and "act as if SA is a bad thing" from what I posted prior?

I said no such thing.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:

UTB, how do you get "attack" and "act as if SA is a bad thing" from what I posted prior?

I said no such thing.
Well, Hank, I'm not interested in playing word games tonight so I'll cut right to it.

Did you intend, in any way, shape, or form to suggest or imply that deciding not to OC in order to keep peace in a marriage or to avoid social scorn from friends and family was a bad thing?

If you did intend to imply that, then my point stands.

If you did not, you may want to re-read your post and see if you really think I'm grasping at straws here or if my reading is a far too easy to make mistake given your choice of words.

Charles

ichigo

imported post

I've been OCing for well over a year and have never even asked her. Maybe I should...:?. She never said anything. She notices when I don't have it on. Went with me to an OC dinner. I always thought our marriage was awesome but how much more awesome would it be if we communicated better.:celebrate Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how what she says.
-banki-

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
HankT wrote:

I said no such thing.
Well, Hank, I'm not interested in playing word games tonight so I'll cut right to it.

Did you intend, in any way, shape, or form to suggest or imply that deciding not to OC in order to keep peace in a marriage or to avoid social scorn from friends and family was a bad thing?

If you did intend to imply that, then my point stands.

If you did not, you may want to re-read your post and see if you really think I'm grasping at straws here or if my reading is a far too easy to make mistake given your choice of words.

Interesting how you avoid the simple question:

I said no such thing.

I implied no such thing. Your "point" is unsupported guess work.

Specify how you got "attack" and "act as if SA is a bad thing" and I'll tell you what prompted the my prior questions.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:

Interesting how you avoid the simple question:

I said no such thing.

I implied no such thing. Your "point" is unsupported guess work.

Specify how you got "attack" and "act as if SA is a bad thing" and I'll tell you what prompted the my prior questions.
Funny how you avoid a simple question.

I inferred your intend.

If you did not intend to imply such, then what did you intend to imply? What was the purpose of your post?

Easy to deny implying something. Can you actually come up with a plausible alternative for what you were implying? Or at what you were driving with your question?

Will you really deny that there was not a little jab hibby's decision to sometimes not OC for reasons of social acceptance?

Charles