• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newb from Portland

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Dude,we've heard that same "taken out first argument" soooooo many times for so long.

And time after time after time after time, no one can regale us with a true tale of any OC'er being "taken out first."

Caddy, after you've OC'ed for a while, and tasted sweet freedom, you'll feel the same as we do when a new guy says CC is better for that reason.

Either way, welcome to the Light side of the Force!!! :)

Shooter McGee

so i am coming into this thread over a year late but i have to throw this in to debunk the 'OC'er is first shot' crap. this is good verifiable proof that open carry and known to posses firearms can prevent crimes. to an extent.

Armed and Considered Dangerous: A survey of felons and their firearms by Peter H. Rossi and James Wright. Fifty-six percent of the prisoners said that a criminal would not attack a potential victim who was known to be armed. Seventy-four percent agreed with the statement that "One reason burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." Thirty-nine percent of the felons had personally decided not to commit a crime because they thought the victim might have a gun, and eight percent said the experience had occurred "many times."

The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Federal Firearms Offenders study, 1997: National Institute of Justice, Research Report, July 1985, Department of Justice. 74% of felons agreed that, "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." 57% of felons polled agreed, "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."

Lepine1

Great debate

Thank you all for your comments. As a new handgun owner it's nice to hear both sides

Al- Auburn Maine

timofalltrades

First Reply.. and Hello to all OCers.

I both OC and CC and have to agree with Shooter McGee's last post and also wanted to add that I feel that criminals are cowards and would most likely run when they see a gun.

carry for myself

I both OC and CC and have to agree with Shooter McGee's last post and also wanted to add that I feel that criminals are cowards and would most likely run when they see a gun.

+1. i also OC and CC regularly. OC in the summer. CC during the winter. *its hard to fight a holster thats good for OC in maine when its -9* and your wearing 5 coats :p*

i see the strengths of both sides. hence why i use both. but i do enjoy the lessened LEO harassment that comes with CC............on the other hand i enjoy smirking at the libs when they almost crap themselves when i OC........so it all works out :)