Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: OC Civil War Battlefield Clean-up Day ?????

  1. #1
    Regular Member streetdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Unionville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    342

    Post imported post

    My wife found this and keeps suggesting that we help out and do it as an Open Carry Group Event. It would be interesting but I can't because I have to work on that day.
    **************************
    Call issued for Civil War volunteers, VA
    The Associated Press
    RICHMOND, Va.

    RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Preservationists are seeking volunteers armed with trash bags and rakes for a spring cleaning of Civil War sites, from battlefields to cemeteries.
    The clean up is scheduled for April 10 at approximately 100 historic sites in 23 states. The event is called Park Day and it's recognized by the U.S. Interior Department as a "Take Pride in America" event.
    This is the 14th edition of the volunteer roundup organized by the Civil War Preservation Trust. In exchange for routine repairs and maintenance, volunteers are rewarded with T-shirts and can listen to historians discuss significant milestones in the Civil War.
    Among the sites to be cleaned up include the Wilderness Battlefield in Virginia, Antietam in Maryland and Wilson's Creek in Missouri.
    *****************
    http://wjz.com/wireapnewsva/Preserva...2.1595008.html
    The same AP News Release is posted everywhere, just do a search on the article title.

    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Looks like there are 17 participating sites in Virginia.

    http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/events/park-day/

    TFred

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Can't go, I'm taking Saturday archery classes starting this weekend.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Can't go, I'm taking Saturday archery classes starting this weekend.
    Who's teaching them?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    Can't go, I'm taking Saturday archery classes starting this weekend.
    Who's teaching them?
    http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/index.php?id=333

    SPRING ARCHERY
    Instructor: Brad Fiala
    Great time to come out and enjoy the sport with your son or daughter!
    Please register at the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Office.
    Contact Tommy Thomas

    212911C
    Saturday Apr.3-May 1 10-11am Ages: 9 – 12

    212911D
    Saturday Apr.3-May 1 11:30 – 12:30 pm Ages: 13 – Adult
    HHS Activities Field located below the tennis courts.
    $45 residents $55 non-residents
    I almost want to OC out there, but I'm not sure if it's still a valid high school or not.

    I figure in a pinch I can MAKE a bow, but making a gun can be a little harder.

    Besides, it seems like fun, and I can practice THIS in my backyard (I have a great backstop).
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    Can't go, I'm taking Saturday archery classes starting this weekend.
    Who's teaching them?
    http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/index.php?id=333

    SPRING ARCHERY
    Instructor: Brad Fiala
    Great time to come out and enjoy the sport with your son or daughter!
    Please register at the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Office.
    Contact Tommy Thomas

    212911C
    Saturday Apr.3-May 1 10-11am Ages: 9 – 12

    212911D
    Saturday Apr.3-May 1 11:30 – 12:30 pm Ages: 13 – Adult
    HHS Activities Field located below the tennis courts.
    $45 residents $55 non-residents
    I almost want to OC out there, but I'm not sure if it's still a valid high school or not.

    I figure in a pinch I can MAKE a bow, but making a gun can be a little harder.

    Besides, it seems like fun, and I can practice THIS in my backyard (I have a great backstop).
    I thought it might be Bob Ryder or Jim Russmicle.

    You'll be surprised how much better you shoot a gun after you finish the archery. It forces good habits.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Good to know.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    streetdoc wrote:
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP)Preservationists are seeking volunteers armed, with trash bags and rakes for a spring cleaning of Civil War sites, from battlefields to cemeteries.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    431

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    streetdoc wrote:
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP)*Preservationists are seeking volunteers armed, with trash bags and rakes for a spring cleaning of Civil War sites, from battlefields to cemeteries.
    Nice comma there Ed. You're a good organizer, can we guilt you into organizing a group of OC'ers for Manassas Battlefield Park?
    http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/even...ield-park.html

    Action Items of Note:
    trail maintenance; fence construction; cannon restoration
    :celebrate

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    ufcfanvt wrote:
    ed wrote:
    You're a good organizer, can we guilt you into organizing a group of OC'ers for Manassas Battlefield Park?
    Thanks for the vote of confidence but I have my irons in too many fires. I might come if someone else sets it up.. butI got to much going to commit.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •