• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Civil War Battlefield Clean-up Day ?????

streetdoc

imported post

My wife found this and keeps suggesting that we help out and do it as an Open Carry Group Event. It would be interesting but I can't because I have to work on that day.
Call issued for Civil War volunteers, VA
The Associated Press
RICHMOND, Va.

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Preservationists are seeking volunteers armed with trash bags and rakes for a spring cleaning of Civil War sites, from battlefields to cemeteries.
The clean up is scheduled for April 10 at approximately 100 historic sites in 23 states. The event is called Park Day and it's recognized by the U.S. Interior Department as a "Take Pride in America" event.
This is the 14th edition of the volunteer roundup organized by the Civil War Preservation Trust. In exchange for routine repairs and maintenance, volunteers are rewarded with T-shirts and can listen to historians discuss significant milestones in the Civil War.
Among the sites to be cleaned up include the Wilderness Battlefield in Virginia, Antietam in Maryland and Wilson's Creek in Missouri.
http://wjz.com/wireapnewsva/Preservationists.seek.volunteers.2.1595008.html
The same AP News Release is posted everywhere, just do a search on the article title.

AbNo

imported post

peter nap wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Can't go, I'm taking Saturday archery classes starting this weekend. :D
Who's teaching them?
http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/index.php?id=333

SPRING ARCHERY
Instructor: Brad Fiala
Great time to come out and enjoy the sport with your son or daughter!
Please register at the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Office.
Contact Tommy Thomas

212911C
Saturday Apr.3-May 1 10-11am Ages: 9 – 12

212911D
Saturday Apr.3-May 1 11:30 – 12:30 pm Ages: 13 – Adult
HHS Activities Field located below the tennis courts.
$45 residents $55 non-residents

I almost want to OC out there,:D but I'm not sure if it's still a valid high school or not. :(

I figure in a pinch I can MAKE a bow, but making a gun can be a little harder.

Besides, it seems like fun, and I can practice THIS in my backyard (I have a great backstop).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

AbNo wrote:
peter nap wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Can't go, I'm taking Saturday archery classes starting this weekend. :D
Who's teaching them?
http://www.harrisonburgva.gov/index.php?id=333

SPRING ARCHERY
Instructor: Brad Fiala
Great time to come out and enjoy the sport with your son or daughter!
Please register at the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Office.
Contact Tommy Thomas

212911C
Saturday Apr.3-May 1 10-11am Ages: 9 – 12

212911D
Saturday Apr.3-May 1 11:30 – 12:30 pm Ages: 13 – Adult
HHS Activities Field located below the tennis courts.
$45 residents $55 non-residents

I almost want to OC out there,:D but I'm not sure if it's still a valid high school or not. :(

I figure in a pinch I can MAKE a bow, but making a gun can be a little harder.

Besides, it seems like fun, and I can practice THIS in my backyard (I have a great backstop).
I thought it might be Bob Ryder or Jim Russmicle.

You'll be surprised how much better you shoot a gun after you finish the archery. It forces good habits.

ufcfanvt

imported post

ed wrote:
streetdoc wrote:
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) Preservationists are seeking volunteers armed, with trash bags and rakes for a spring cleaning of Civil War sites, from battlefields to cemeteries.
:dude:

Nice comma there Ed. You're a good organizer, can we guilt you into organizing a group of OC'ers for Manassas Battlefield Park?
http://www.civilwar.org/aboutus/events/park-day/2010-sites/manassas-national-battlefield-park.html

Action Items of Note:
trail maintenance; fence construction; cannon restoration
:celebrate

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
ed wrote:
You're a good organizer, can we guilt you into organizing a group of OC'ers for Manassas Battlefield Park?
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I have my irons in too many fires. I might come if someone else sets it up.. butI got to much going to commit.