• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you ever had an anti do this to you?

Bebog

imported post

I have been carrying openly for quite some time now and have been very lucky so far. The most animated exchange was a couple weeks ago at the Chicken Barn in Smithfield. The cashier there is very young and absolutely amazed at my carrying. Not at all offended or scared, just amazed. We had an extremely pleasant disscusion which also involved another patron and the owner (husband). (The husband/wife owners are super cool and they make some awesome chicken!)
:celebrate
So far, it has been a real non-issue until Saturday.

I head out Saturday to Merchant's in Garner to get my wife's car some new shoes and took little man figuring on some Father/Son time. The tire store said it would not be long, about an hour or so. Well their definition of "not long" does not agree with mine so I decided to walk down to the IHOP for some lunch. Bobby, the owner there, has always seemed real cool and when I walked in he noticed but said nothing and acted like "no big deal". The waitress saw it and said nothing nor indicated it bothered her in any way and I was thinking "cool, just another uneventful outing". Then, she sat us in a booth across the isle from a party of 6-8 which definitely noticed. Immediately, one of them said something and then all of them turned and looked our way. There was some grumbling and foul looks and then they all got up to leave. Now I was not wanting to start anything and just wanted to have lunch with my little boy. I was watching him and noticing them out of the corner of my eye. As they walked past, one of the females said "that should be considered child abuse". I just looked up and saw her disgusting look and turned my attention back to the one who meant much more to me than she did. Like I said, not the time nor inclination to start anything at that moment.

It was very obvious what their problem with me was and I just sat there not really knowing what to think. I have always been ready for a foul reaction, always ready to be picked on by cops, and always ready to be asked to leave an establishment. I just NEVER though someone would stoop so low as to accused me of "child abuse" just to emphasize their point. How freaking low!
:cuss:

Now to IHOP credit, the waitress continued to be good as gold. I even ordered a to go plate for the wife on the way out and waited in the front for that. The whole time, I talked with Bobby when other patrons were not coming in and out. At no time was it ever an issue with any other patrons or staff.

But I got to admit, it made me think whether I was doing the right thing. I kept telling myself I was and I do still believe it. My kids will be taught respect for guns, gun safety, marksmanship and sportsmanship, self protection, etc. But, no matter how resolved a person is, as any of you with children know such a comment is a strike right at the heart......and it hurts. I guess that is why the low lifes do such things.:(

Anyway, sorry for the long post but just wanted to make you aware of another disgusting tactic and ask if anyone else has been is such situation.

elixin77

imported post

If I was in your situation, I'd probably ask the lady why she thought carrying a pistol should be considered child abuse. And then I'd lay into her about how I raise my kid (note: I don't have any) is none of her business, after educating her on why I carry.

Oh well, thank you for being a parent and involving your kid with what you were doing. Too many 'parents' now a days aren't actual parents, IMO.

chiefjason

imported post

Bebog wrote:
But, no matter how resolved a person is, as any of you with children know such a comment is a strike right at the heart......and it hurts. I guess that is why the low lifes do such things.:(

Anyway, sorry for the long post but just wanted to make you aware of another disgusting tactic and ask if anyone else has been is such situation.

What a jerk. Strike at my heart. Nope, not at all. An uneducated comment stemming from their irrational hatred of an inanimate object. yes. I've settle this long ago for myself.

"How can you carry that around your kids?"

Me "I carry BECAUSE of my kids. I have an obligation as a Christian husband and father to protect my family and be willing to lay down my life for them. Every fibre in my being tells me that does NOT mean I should die first and leave them at the mercy of a criminal. It means I should be ready, willing, and able to actively defend my family against evil even if it means loosing my own life. For me, child abuse would be not being able to stop some DB from harming my kids."

:dude:

Sam

imported post

I really hope that person isn't able to breed.

What a moron. It would have given my son (9) and I something to laugh about. How old is your boy? Mine hasn't shot yet. I'm thinking another year or two.

thnycav

imported post

I do not know but I would have to come back with someting like the food here is not that bad.

Bebog

imported post

Guys, I apologize for the delayed response. I have had a family of carpenter ants decide to make a house out of my home so I have been tied up tearing out over half of my bath.

If the circumstances were different, if we were outside of the restaurant and were with my wife so I could send my son away from a possible confrontation, you betcha I would have had something to say. However, causing such a scene in the restaurant would do nothing but harm our welcome there by management. And the larger picture was that my boy was there and I was much more dedicated to having a fun outing with him than worrying with such ignorant people. (although I hate to admit letting it get under my skin and going unchallenged)

Sam, my son is 3 1/2 and my little girl will be 6 in a couple weeks. He has not really been involved other than watching me shoot at home (usually standing inside looking out wide-eyed). However, she has her own BB gun, that she only touches when with me, and I am trying to teach her how to properly aim at targets right now. (fundamental gun safety along the way of course) I have found that she loves to pop balloons so they make a fun target to aim at. I am dying to move her into a .22 but the wife says no way and I know that it is too early. Just can't wait to get her one of those little pink cricketts though. :D

thnycav, that is a good one right there. If only I were witty enough to have thought of that one on the spot! That is just off hand enough to be able to throw her off guard in the same way I was.

Lawmaker, elixen, chiefjason, thanks guys....I know I am doing right and knew you guys would be supportive. Even when you are preaching to the choir it is still nice to hear the music. I was hoping to hear some music (support).

And Chief, I have settled a lot of things in my mind even to the fact of being willing to take someone's life to protect my family. I just never expected to have to defend myself against such a stupid, callous, low life insult. I thank everyone here for what has been said and you bet this will be one more lesson well learned and it will not get by so easily next time!

M

McX

imported post

they need a sign in that place; rights is rights, offensive, abusive, left thinking, rude behavior is not allowed here.

TheFreeman

imported post

You did the right thing bebog. I agree, it would have been nice to have a comeback or been able to educate them a bit, but if they've got that much of a hard on against guns, then it probably would have just been an argument. I guess the anti's would just rather stick their head in the sand and pretend that nothing bad will ever happen to them.

RegalNC

imported post

From what you have posted, it appears to me the best case scenario is to simply ignore the comment that was made (1A). There is nothing to be gained unless a person is talking to me specifically. As you noted(As they walked past, one of the females said "that should be considered child abuse")

JMHO!

riverrat10k

imported post

Good for keeping your cool sir.

thenycav answer is best, in that situation.

Otherwise, outside, "Ma'am, I would give my life or take yours to protect this little boy."

Sheeesh, some people.

bwhunter65

imported post

Some people don't know what they are talking about you weren't even close to child abuse. I think you not getting into a heated discussion with them in front of your kid was the right thing to do.

jerz_subbie

imported post

Considering your son was there and his age, I'd say you handled it perfectly. I probably would have just laughed, if my usually-confrontational self didn't get the better of me.:D

Chiefjason, I think that was very well said!

2offroad

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Good for keeping your cool sir.

thenycav answer is best, in that situation.

Otherwise, outside, "Ma'am, I would give my life or take yours to protect this little boy."

Sheeesh, some people.

I may take this as a quote, modified alittle.

I would gladly give my life or take yours for the safety of this child.

wylde007

imported post

thnycav wrote:
I do not know but I would have to come back with something like the food here is not that bad.
The only proper response.

All others lead her to believe you know what she's talking about. You have to respond as though you have no idea to what she's referring.

That goads them even more and it either provokes THEM to escalate by saying something like "By carrying a gun, you great big neanderthal" (don't bother to point out that neanderthals could barely make fire, much less firearms) or to have them huff off in their own dark-cloud liberal funk.

You are doing the right thing by proactively protecting yourself and your family. I have a 10 m.o. son and I carry EVERYWHERE I GO with him in VA. I have carried in NC on holiday with him.

BTW, I have (well, the missus has) family in Garner. Nice town.

USNA69

imported post

Picture a "Wayne's World" swirly screen daydream moment:

The Antis leave the IHOP, patting themselves on the back for telling off that gun totin' cowboy in the next booth. Suddenly, a BG steps out of the shrubbery, points his cannon at them and tells them to raise their hands, and he will kill the first one that moves or shouts. As they are handing over their wallets and jewelry ... and soiling their skivvies ... you observe this from inside the IHOP, tell your boy to stay inside and step out to the parking lot.

You pull and place your laser sight on the BG's forehead and ask the Antis if they would like you to lay down your weapon, because you are abusing your child. Each of them, now crying like babies, begs you to kill the BG.

... only in dreams ....

TheMrMitch

imported post

One of my Granddaughters.....about six years old here..............You know how I feel about kids and guns. Eh?:dude:

Samon1919a4.jpg

Corst01

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
thnycav wrote:
I do not know but I would have to come back with something like the food here is not that bad.
The only proper response.

All others lead her to believe you know what she's talking about. You have to respond as though you have no idea to what she's referring.

That goads them even more and it either provokes THEM to escalate by saying something like "By carrying a gun, you great big neanderthal" (don't bother to point out that neanderthals could barely make fire, much less firearms) or to have them huff off in their own dark-cloud liberal funk.
+1 to making them THINK about what they are saying.

In any situation where someone's tried to put me down with a snide, confrontational, and veiled remark, I've always said the same thing to them immediately: "What do you mean by that?"

It forces them to re-think their words. If they said it unintentionally or didn't realize how it came across, it gives them the time to save face and gracefully back away.

If they meant to be provacative & confrontational, then it let's them know that I will not tolerate that type of rude and uncalled for behavior.

The nice thing about saying this one phrase is that it can be used in virtually every situation.

Either way, the focus is shifted to them as you said wylde007.

BTW: Thank you for putting up this site (which I've only recently found) as it's such a good resource and very enlightening for me.