• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possibly unsafe semi-autos

Alexcabbie

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
Here in Virginia, we have the "negligence" rule. Any amount of negligence on the part of the injured party constitutes a complete bar to ANY recovery. In the MickeyD's case, the lady neglected to secure the hot liquid adequately in a cup-holder, so she would be outta luck in the Commonwealth.
I wouldn't say that proudly. Virginia and three other states (plus DC) are the only ones that still use that antiquated system.
If everybody else jumped off a cliff, would I be stupid to be one of three people who did not?? "everybody else does otherwise" is NOT a valid reason for changing things. Need I remind you that one thing the antis cite in opposing us is that "every other industrial nation" controls private access to firearms much more stringently?

None2Slow

imported post

I used to have a Bryco/Jennings 59 9mm. I was at my Dads shooting 1 day when I went to fire the second shot. Click, nothing. Lookes at the gun and the slide was hanging off the back about 1/4 inch. Didn't look right, so I unloaded it and took it inside. THe takedown button (which is a very light, soft aluminum) was cracking. The tang on the bottom was starting to shear off. If it had fired that second time, I would probably of had the slide in my face. I took it to the dealer and he sent it back. They replaced the part with one of hte exact same material. I traded it in that day for a Ruger P89. This was back in 92 or 93. Still have the Ruger and not a problem 1 with it. I am now trading it in on a SR9C when they have them in stock again.

c45man

imported post

Jennings was one of the so called ring of fire guns out of California. The gun is made out of zink, very heavy trigger pull. Raven, Jennings,Bryco,Lorcin, Davis, Sundancewere all made by the same companyowned bygeorge jennings.The company was sued out of business by the state of california. Most people that purchased the guns were not serious shooters. Most of the their owners placed their guns in a sock drawer where they collected more dust than anything else. Guns cost anywhere between $50 and $120. These firearms were the target of the anti-gun zealots who demonized these guns. California overplayed the use of these guns in crime. Many were sold even to the point of outselling many much better made guns. Considering the shear number of these guns that were out there, it was only naturual that many landed up in the hands of criminals. Well Mr. Jenning's company is long gone and California is still a crime pit.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Jennings' guns are unsafe due to the quality (or, rather, the lack of quality) of the metals used to manufactor them.

The chambers and the mechanical functions of the weapons would often crack, or outright fail.

I would recommend finding out when your local governmental organization is holding a "gun buyback", and take advantage of this waste of tax dollars to actually do some good. The funds obtained could be applied towards the purchase of a quality firearm.

If you are have a very limited budget, Hi-Point sidearms cost appx. $150, and have a reputation as a decent to good quality sidearm. Ugly as sin, and handles like an angry hooker on Two-Dollar Tuesday, but will go bang if you need it too.

Glocks and Springfield XD can be found in the $350-$700 range, very common and reliable weapon.

thumper

imported post

very old Ranger wrote:
Recently I asked wether it was safe to fire a Jennings Nine 9mm. I got several replies but mostly hearsay,very few facts.I have very little money living on SS. and cant afford the prices being asked. Unfortunately I gave my 1911 45 auto to my grandson who lives in Detroit Mich.in a yery bad neigborhood and dont have the heart to ask. I never dreamed where I live in Md. would ever be dangerous for senior citizens. My next question would be are these new PLASTIC Pistols ok ??. I know Glock and other manufacturers have been making them for quite a while. Very old ranger. SS Md.
There are deals to be made almost anywhere you go to buy guns. From your post, it seems that you prefer pistol rather than revolver. The polymer frame guns are durable, precise, and high performance all the way. You might be able to find something in your price range if you take your time and shop around a little. There are also some perfectly serviceable steel frame .45s to be had for reasonable cost, like the Rock Island Armory ones built in the Philippines. There is even an officer's model a lot like a Colt Commanderin the same range. Those are all mil. spec. 1911s.My regular FFL guy had a Spanish made Star .45 last week for real cheaplast week. I hope you find something that suits you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

thumper wrote:
very old Ranger wrote:
Recently I asked wether it was safe to fire a Jennings Nine 9mm. I got several replies but mostly hearsay,very few facts.I have very little money living on SS. and cant afford the prices being asked. Unfortunately I gave my 1911 45 auto to my grandson who lives in Detroit Mich.in a yery bad neigborhood and dont have the heart to ask. I never dreamed where I live in Md. would ever be dangerous for senior citizens. My next question would be are these new PLASTIC Pistols ok ??. I know Glock and other manufacturers have been making them for quite a while. Very old ranger. SS Md.
There are deals to be made almost anywhere you go to buy guns. From your post, it seems that you prefer pistol rather than revolver. The polymer frame guns are durable, precise, and high performance all the way. You might be able to find something in your price range if you take your time and shop around a little. There are also some perfectly serviceable steel frame .45s to be had for reasonable cost, like the Rock Island Armory ones built in the Philippines. There is even an officer's model a lot like a Colt Commanderin the same range. Those are all mil. spec. 1911s.My regular FFL guy had a Spanish made Star .45 last week for real cheaplast week. I hope you find something that suits you.
The is a secret, membership required, group of Star aficionados here on OCDO. :)

Some body would surely like to have that.

Yata hey

SAvage410

imported post

very old Ranger wrote:
Can't speak for a Jennings, but my Glock 22 (.40 S&W cartridge) goes bang when I pull the trigger, doesn't go bang if I don't and has had exactly one misfeed in about 14-1500 rounds fired (bought it new last year in September, if memory serves). Hope that helps!