• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Called the Westminster PD while I was OC'ing

Bebop

imported post

So I was taking a walk tonight at around 9 when I got to a trail head of an open park and noticed a stroller sittingthere no one around it no kids in it. I thought it to be weird but maybe the person was just somewhere else. I decided to finish my walk and come back and see if it was still there. 40min later it still was so I figured I had better call the cops after all it seems weird to me to have a stroller sitting at the entrance to a open field trail.

So I called 911 and told them the situation. She asked if I would wait for the police I said yes but you should tell the officer that I am OC'ing. She asked me about the type of gun and said ok didn't seem concerned about it at all, I even offered to put it in my house since it was standing next to it while I made the call she said that there was no need to. I waited for the police to arrive and had my hands crossed, except for the hand in front of my face (their search lights are bright :shock:). He got out asked me about the stroller then said that he knows OC is legal but they don't deal with many people who do OC and asked me to keep my arms crossed. After he assessed that whoever it wasjust abandoned the stroller (it looked to be broken) he asked me about why I was carrying. I said I always do. He then asked my why I don't get a CHP. I told him I have one I just prefer to OC sometimes for comfort I also told him it is a way to let people know that guns are not necessarily a bad thing. He kept saying that he knows that it is not illegal but why I just don't conceal. He asked for some information in case anything else came up about the stroller. I gave it to him because it wasn't anything they couldn't have found out from the dispatcher. He never asked me to see any identification or my CHP.

I would say that it was a good first time dealing with the cops all things considered. I maybe could have handled his questions a little better but I would say I didn't do too bad a job. I would also say the cop seemed to be good on the laws and never asked for any more information (like licence, or CHP)than he didn't already have.

groovedrummer

imported post

Bebop wrote:
So I was taking a walk tonight at around 9 when I got to a trail head of an open park and noticed a stroller sittingthere no one around it no kids in it. I thought it to be weird but maybe the person was just somewhere else. I decided to finish my walk and come back and see if it was still there. 40min later it still was so I figured I had better call the cops after all it seems weird to me to have a stroller sitting at the entrance to a open field trail.

So I called 911 and told them the situation. She asked if I would wait for the police I said yes but you should tell the officer that I am OC'ing. She asked me about the type of gun and said ok didn't seem concerned about it at all, I even offered to put it in my house since it was standing next to it while I made the call she said that there was no need to. I waited for the police to arrive and had my hands crossed, except for the hand in front of my face (their search lights are bright :shock:). He got out asked me about the stroller then said that he knows OC is legal but they don't deal with many people who do OC and asked me to keep my arms crossed. After he assessed that whoever it wasjust abandoned the stroller (it looked to be broken) he asked me about why I was carrying. I said I always do. He then asked my why I don't get a CHP. I told him I have one I just prefer to OC sometimes for comfort I also told him it is a way to let people know that guns are not necessarily a bad thing. He kept saying that he knows that it is not illegal but why I just don't conceal. He asked for some information in case anything else came up about the stroller. I gave it to him because it wasn't anything they couldn't have found out from the dispatcher. He never asked me to see any identification or my CHP.

I would say that it was a good first time dealing with the cops all things considered. I maybe could have handled his questions a little better but I would say I didn't do too bad a job. I would also say the cop seemed to be good on the laws and never asked for any more information (like licence, or CHP)than he didn't already have.
He sounds like a good honest officer, regardless of what his opinion is on the matter he did in fact make his opinion take a back seat to his job.

Thank you for posting this story.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good job - no penalty flags at all.

The more people that see good citizens OCing, the more it will be understood.

Yata hey

zach

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Bebop wrote:
After he assessed that whoever it wasjust abandoned the stroller (it looked to be broken) he asked me about why I was carrying. I said I always do. He then asked my why I don't get a CHP. I told him I have one I just prefer to OC sometimes for comfort I also told him it is a way to let people know that guns are not necessarily a bad thing. He kept saying that he knows that it is not illegal but why I just don't conceal. He asked for some information in case anything else came up about the stroller. I gave it to him because it wasn't anything they couldn't have found out from the dispatcher. He never asked me to see any identification or my CHP.
You should have asked,"Why don't you?"
Why provoke? The officer had a good encounter with someone OCing, maybe next time he'll have a more open attitude about his next encounter?

groovedrummer

imported post

zach wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Bebop wrote:
After he assessed that whoever it wasjust abandoned the stroller (it looked to be broken) he asked me about why I was carrying. I said I always do. He then asked my why I don't get a CHP. I told him I have one I just prefer to OC sometimes for comfort I also told him it is a way to let people know that guns are not necessarily a bad thing. He kept saying that he knows that it is not illegal but why I just don't conceal. He asked for some information in case anything else came up about the stroller. I gave it to him because it wasn't anything they couldn't have found out from the dispatcher. He never asked me to see any identification or my CHP.
You should have asked,"Why don't you?"
Why provoke? The officer had a good encounter with someone OCing, maybe next time he'll have a more open attitude about his next encounter?
+1

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The LEO is obviously well-versed on the OC/CC laws. He's also well-indoctrinated to push for CC to the max extend.

In answer to his question "Why don't you just CC?" I'd have given him a lopsided grin and said, "for the same reasons almost all law enforcement officers open carry - deterrence andrapidaccess.