• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello Everyone

22-250

imported post

Hi, I'm new here and new to OC, I had no idea this was going on. I live in Rochester and see I am not the only one. If I can be of any help let me know...:)

DanM

imported post

22-250 wrote:
If I can be of any help let me know...

Open carry lawfully as much as you can. Answer questions and dispel wrong information when you hear them. Always be polite.

That's the best help you can give to advancing open carry. Welcome aboard.

EM87

imported post

If it makes you more comfortable to have the CPL, then by all means wait for it. If you take time to study the law to know where you can and cannot carry without one though, you can start anytime! Just make sure you're familiar with MCL 750.234d (where you cannot possess a firearm without a CPL) and the transport law (I'm forgetting the MCL number).

Welcome aboard!

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Welcome 22-250. It brings joy to the hearts of everyone here when a new patriot joins in and exercises and protects their rights. As said, the life of an OC'er is certainly made less complicated by the possession of a cpl. The simple fact of not having to disassemble your rig every time you enter a vehicle or other victim zone itself is indeed a safety concern.

As for helping out, again as mentioned, the best thing to do is to share the information. Last year, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. was formed from contributors within this forum to go even further. While the need to spread information and educate is MOC's primary focus, they also have the ability to speak to legislation with the authority of over 100 taxpayers behind every phone call or letter. I would certainly encourage you to have a look at their website at http://www.michiganopencarry.org and consider adding your voice to the collective effort.

22-250

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Welcome 22-250. It brings joy to the hearts of everyone here when a new patriot joins in and exercises and protects their rights. As said, the life of an OC'er is certainly made less complicated by the possession of a cpl. The simple fact of not having to disassemble your rig every time you enter a vehicle or other victim zone itself is indeed a safety concern.

As for helping out, again as mentioned, the best thing to do is to share the information. Last year, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. was formed from contributors within this forum to go even further. While the need to spread information and educate is MOC's primary focus, they also have the ability to speak to legislation with the authority of over 100 taxpayers behind every phone call or letter. I would certainly encourage you to have a look at their website at http://www.michiganopencarry.org and consider adding your voice to the collective effort.

I did, and yes going to wait for CPL just to avoid the other issues , don't want to CC by mistake..

FatboyCykes

imported post

Welcome, and smart choice on waiting for the CPL. As much as I hate that it is that way, it might not be worth the felony charge, time and/or money to risk it. I hate to say that, but it's up to each person where they want to draw the line. I OC'd for about 3 months w/o a CPL, and never had an issue until the day I received my CPL :p

CoonDog

imported post

In the convoluted mess that forms the compilation of MI's gun laws, getting your CPL is like having a "get of jail" card, even though you may not have committed a crime if you were to carry without one.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
In the convoluted mess that forms the compilation of MI's gun laws, getting your CPL is like having a "get of jail" card, even though you may not have committed a crime if you were to carry without one.
It's more like a 'bribe the cops free' card...

22-250

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
Right, correct me if I am wrong but now that I am aware of the OC law I don't have to worry if I unintentionally show my gun? If I have a CPL then I'm either CC or OC so I am covered no matter what except for PFZ's yes?

Beerme

Banned
imported post

as long as you're not in one of the no carry places then you're fine, but if the proprietor asks you to leave or to refrain from open carry, the best policy is to leave respectfully or ask if you can conceal carry(if you have a cpl and can CC in that location), and continue shopping.

Some people choose to just refuse to do business with stores that do not support OC, it is their right to refuse to shop there just as much as it is the store rights to not support it.

I think it will only be a matter of time until more people realize that OC is a good thing and not something to be afraid of seeing, until then all we can do is get along with them and offer them some education.

gettysburg

imported post

Is this 22-250 from Michigan Predator Hunting? If so welcome, if not welcome anyways. From one new guy to another, read everything a dozen times and then when you think you have it down read it again.

22-250

imported post

gettysburg wrote:
Is this 22-250 from Michigan Predator Hunting? If so welcome, if not welcome anyways. From one new guy to another, read everything a dozen times and then when you think you have it down read it again.

Ok, will do..