• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Times - More women turning to firearms

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/30/more-females-may-be-turning-to-firearms (see also embedded video and mention of the http://www.meetup.com/Beltway-Knife-and-Gun-Club)

SNIP

American women are buying guns and taking aim on firing ranges in growing numbers, according to a recent study and interviews with gun-shop owners.
A 2009 study found 70 percent of shop owners reported more female buyers.

The study, conducted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and Southwick Associates, also found 80 percent of the female gun-buyers who responded said they purchased a gun for self-defense, followed by 35 percent for target practice and 24 percent for hunting.

Women and shop owners interviewed by The Washington Times offered similar, narrow-ranging explanations for the increases — largely self-defense and concerns about the possibility President Obama would further restrict gun ownership.

Erika Gonzalez, of suburban Washington, was raised as a Quaker and grew up thinking guns were unsafe — until a series of life-changing events.

Her grandmother was murdered about 15 years ago in a small town, then her marriage fell apart and she was on her own.

"I was very anti-gun for a long time … and I guess my thinking evolved on that," said Ms. Gonzalez, who owns a Glock 9mm and started a shooting club to practice and share similar interests. "I was probably motivated to buy the gun because I separated from my husband and was living alone."

Hilary Gotzh, a single 26-year-old, wants to buy a gun this year for protection and recreational uses, but, like Ms. Gonzalez, thinks ownership is a private and personal decision.

"It's not a common thing that women sit around tea and talk about their firearms," Ms. Gotzh said.

. . .

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

She plans to buy more guns in the future, not for self defense but because they are pretty and fun to use... Wow. Now that is you don't hear often in a media presentation. Way cool.

okboomer

imported post

>>snip
"It's not a common thing that women sit around tea and talk about their firearms," Ms. Gotzh said.
Ummm, well, I have done this a couple of times and not at the gun store cafe either ...

okboomer

imported post

Uber_Olafsun wrote:
Before when the wife and I went to the range we shared a slot so one could reload while one shot. Last time we went she said she wanted her own slot. I think I created a monster
:what:surely you are not serious :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

okboomer wrote:
Uber_Olafsun wrote:
Before when the wife and I went to the range we shared a slot so one could reload while one shot. Last time we went she said she wanted her own slot. I think I created a monster :D
Fixed it for you Uber.

Nothing is more golden to our cause than women OCing. Now a woman with kids or grandkids with them - that is going platinum.

Yata hey

FMCDH

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
okboomer wrote:
Uber_Olafsun wrote:
Before when the wife and I went to the range we shared a slot so one could reload while one shot. Last time we went she said she wanted her own slot. I think I created a monster :D
Fixed it for you Uber.

Nothing is more golden to our cause than women OCing. Now a woman with kids or grandkids with them - that is going platinum.

Yata hey
Amen reverend! ;)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Guy B. Meredith wrote:
She plans to buy more guns in the future, not for self defense but because they are pretty and fun to use... Wow. Now that is you don't hear often in a media presentation. Way cool.
Isn't that why we all buy them??? :p

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only problem that i see with more people embracing their rights is there is currently not enough ranges for all types of weapons. That and it is part of the ammo supply problem.....Ok so 2 issues.

We need more ranges for handgun and long guns as well as more ammunition manufactures. Sounds like some good business opportunities there.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Toad wrote:
The only problem that i see with more people embracing their rights is there is currently not enough ranges for all types of weapons. That and it is part of the ammo supply problem.....Ok so 2 issues.

We need more ranges for handgun and long guns as well as more ammunition manufactures. Sounds like some good business opportunities there.
I can't find anyone to buy my ammo.... I don't think there is a shortage since the laws of supply and demand seem to be totally out of the loop.

FMCDH

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Toad wrote:

I can't find anyone to buy my ammo.... I don't think there is a shortage since the laws of supply and demand seem to be totally out of the loop.
.22 LR is pretty plentiful, and the price is pretty cheap for it still. The best way to gauge how much you could reasonably expect to get for the ammo is to check a site like gunbroker or northwestfirearms for the going FTF sale prices, the price your own accordingly.

Your asking $30 for 565 rounds of .22 is about retail pricing for this area. I bought a brick of Federal 400 HP for 22 dollars a few weeks ago at DJs in Bothell, so if you drop your price a few more bucks, it would probably sell quick.