Thread: Custom build AR

Post imported post

I would like to get feedback and tipsfrom people who have built their own AR. I would like to order parts online and am amazed by the vast number of options but also unsure of who is trustworthy (in terms of vendor) and produces high quality components (in terms of manufacturer). I have read on other boards how some people have ordered parts off of gunbroker and saved hundreds. While I would love to do this, I have to be mindful of Connecticut's wonderful laws regarding "evil" features.

Has anyone had success ordering online and building while adhering to the laws of this great state? If so, I would love to hear about it and would be interested in seeing some pictures of completed rifles.

Post imported post

Remsport

566 Holyoke Street, Ludlow, MA‎ - (413) 589-9976‎

Great people..I have only heard wondering things about them..They are also an FFL that I have sold too and I had them put on some Night-Sights for me..Butthey specializes in AR's and 1911's..Being they are inMass..they knowall about "evil features" too.

I see you arein Hartford too..I am in East Windsor..not too bad of a ride if you want to go check them out...

Post imported post

i bought a stag lower from a dealer in torrington, then built it with a stag trigger kit. got a buffer tube from jojo's and an adjustable stock from cabelas. pinned it myself so it was legal. i was going to do the same with the upper and build it like i wanted, then nov 5 2008 happened. i went on november 6th and ordered a complete stag upper and still waited 3 months for it. if you need more details on it let me know.

Post imported post

How does one "pin" an adjustable stock so I can put it on an AR-15 and be CT legal? Any good resources for directions?

Post imported post

Post imported post

stacks04 wrote:
    i bought a stag lower from a dealer in torrington, then built it with a stag trigger kit. got a buffer tube from jojo's and an adjustable stock from cabelas. pinned it myself so it was legal. i was going to do the same with the upper and build it like i wanted, then nov 5 2008 happened. i went on november 6th and ordered a complete stag upper and still waited 3 months for it. if you need more details on it let me know.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I might give them a call but would feel better if they had a website I can look at. I will probably stop by Hoffman's--as it is my outfitter of choice--this weekend to see if they have any suggestions too.

As for Stag, they are here in New Britain, CT. It's a pity that they can't even sell most of their products to citizens of their own home state.

Post imported post

I bought my S&W M&P 15 from Hoffman's 2 months ago and I was very pleased with the price.

Post imported post

Also if you plan on a S&W M&P 15 you qualifly for 5 free PMags.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...ectionId=10002

Post imported post

M&P is a great rifle and Hoff's prices are good but I prefer to build my own. If that doesn't work out, I will definitely look for an off-the-shelf product like the M&P.

Post imported post

GunTotingLawyer wrote:
    stacks04 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I might give them a call but would feel better if they had a website I can look at. I will probably stop by Hoffman's--as it is my outfitter of choice--this weekend to see if they have any suggestions too.

As for Stag, they are here in New Britain, CT. It's a pity that they can't even sell most of their products to citizens of their own home state.
    the stag quality is really good. i may be going to pick up another lower this week just to have a spare. eventually building it hopefully for a dedicated .50 bmg upper.
    i would seriously consider some of the newer gas piston design instead of the original direct gas impingement design. much cleaner and less heat transfer.

http://www.stagarms.com/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Just FYI

11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.