Thread: OCing in the Liberal City...

Banned

Post imported post

After the Wisconsin Carry Inc. Board meeting last Sunday, my girlfriend and I went shopping in some of the bastions of the crunchy granola crowd of Madison.

Our first stop was Trader Joes, so I strapped on my stainless S&W 629 in .44 magnum and Kimberly donned her stainless Beretta 92 FS and we headed in with quite an extensive shopping list as Kimberly loves this store. These big shiny guns cannot be ignored and we got a lot of looks from customers and employees but nothing confrontational and I even got a few smiles, polite head nods, and "how you doings" from the managers. The young man at the checkout was very interested and blown away with the knowledge that he could OC in WI as he had just gotten out of the Air Force and had bought a 9mm that he wanted to carry so I spoke with him a while and left him with one of Brokensprockets most excellent pamphlets.

Then we moved on to Whole Foods over by the U of M and had a very positive carry experience as when Kimberly questioned where the granulated kelp was (its a girl thing), we had half the store employees and managers jammed into the aisle trying to find it.

Then of course we joined the group OCing on State Street and had some interesting experiences. At the sandwich shop where we ate we were able to talk to the owner and a waitress; on the street one panhandler was in shock and thought we might rob him(lol) but his buddy piped up and said that we had a "right to do dat". We walked right past a police cruiser with the group without incident and I understand that the group took photos near the capital building after we left for La Crosse.

A very enjoyable experience was had by all in the Liberal City.

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

Post imported post

Spartacus wrote:
    After the Wisconsin Carry Inc. Board meeting last Sunday, my girlfriend and I went shopping in some of the bastions of the crunchy granola crowd of Madison.

Our first stop was Trader Joes, so I strapped on my stainless S&W 629 in .44 magnum and Kimberly donned her stainless Beretta 92 FS and we headed in with quite an extensive shopping list as Kimberly loves this store. These big shiny guns cannot be ignored and we got a lot of looks from customers and employees but nothing confrontational and I even got a few smiles, polite head nods, and "how you doings" from the managers. The young man at the checkout was very interested and blown away with the knowledge that he could OC in WI as he had just gotten out of the Air Force and had bought a 9mm that he wanted to carry so I spoke with him a while and left him with one of Brokensprockets most excellent pamphlets.

Then we moved on to Whole Foods over by the U of M and had a very positive carry experience as when Kimberly questioned where the granulated kelp was (its a girl thing), we had half the store employees and managers jammed into the aisle trying to find it.

Then of course we joined the group OCing on State Street and had some interesting experiences. At the sandwich shop where we ate we were able to talk to the owner and a waitress; on the street one panhandler was in shock and thought we might rob him(lol) but his buddy piped up and said that we had a "right to do dat". We walked right past a police cruiser with the group without incident and I understand that the group took photos near the capital building after we left for La Crosse.

A very enjoyable experience was had by all in the Liberal City.
    Excellent. I have had no problems (knock on wood) in my OCing in the Madison area. I do believe that going out as a couple has a definite "disarming effect" (no pun intended) on the general public. My wife dosen't OC yet, but warmed up quickly to my carrying in public with her.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

Photos of us are available at: www.wisconsincarry.org/gallery.html

Post imported post

Spartacus,

Was there an officerIN the cruiser when you walked by it?

Post imported post

Great job! I just perused the photos! You guys did great!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Banned

Post imported post

Yes indeed. The guys passed several cops on duty during their stroll.

Post imported post

I would say it was a win. Ihad several people approach me and ask about it. One particular gentleman in the Fair Trade coffee shop was very interested in the idea.As usual, the first question out of his mouth was "are you law enforcement?" When I informed him that I wasn't he didn't run away screaming. Planting the seed one at a time.......

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

In my own town and I missed it I have never carried downtown as I try to avoid it (downtown, that is), but have the West Side covered pretty well.

Next time...