• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the Liberal City...

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

After the Wisconsin Carry Inc. Board meeting last Sunday, my girlfriend and I went shopping in some of the bastions of the crunchy granola crowd of Madison.

Our first stop was Trader Joes, so I strapped on my stainless S&W 629 in .44 magnum and Kimberly donned her stainless Beretta 92 FS and we headed in with quite an extensive shopping list as Kimberly loves this store. These big shiny guns cannot be ignored and we got a lot of looks from customers and employees but nothing confrontational and I even got a few smiles, polite head nods, and "how you doings" from the managers. The young man at the checkout was very interested and blown away with the knowledge that he could OC in WI as he had just gotten out of the Air Force and had bought a 9mm that he wanted to carry so I spoke with him a while and left him with one of Brokensprockets most excellent pamphlets.

Then we moved on to Whole Foods over by the U of M and had a very positive carry experience as when Kimberly questioned where the granulated kelp was (its a girl thing), we had half the store employees and managers jammed into the aisle trying to find it.

Then of course we joined the group OCing on State Street and had some interesting experiences. At the sandwich shop where we ate we were able to talk to the owner and a waitress; on the street one panhandler was in shock and thought we might rob him(lol) but his buddy piped up and said that we had a "right to do dat". We walked right past a police cruiser with the group without incident and I understand that the group took photos near the capital building after we left for La Crosse.

A very enjoyable experience was had by all in the Liberal City.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
imported post

Spartacus wrote:
After the Wisconsin Carry Inc. Board meeting last Sunday, my girlfriend and I went shopping in some of the bastions of the crunchy granola crowd of Madison.

Our first stop was Trader Joes, so I strapped on my stainless S&W 629 in .44 magnum and Kimberly donned her stainless Beretta 92 FS and we headed in with quite an extensive shopping list as Kimberly loves this store. These big shiny guns cannot be ignored and we got a lot of looks from customers and employees but nothing confrontational and I even got a few smiles, polite head nods, and "how you doings" from the managers. The young man at the checkout was very interested and blown away with the knowledge that he could OC in WI as he had just gotten out of the Air Force and had bought a 9mm that he wanted to carry so I spoke with him a while and left him with one of Brokensprockets most excellent pamphlets.

Then we moved on to Whole Foods over by the U of M and had a very positive carry experience as when Kimberly questioned where the granulated kelp was (its a girl thing), we had half the store employees and managers jammed into the aisle trying to find it.

Then of course we joined the group OCing on State Street and had some interesting experiences. At the sandwich shop where we ate we were able to talk to the owner and a waitress; on the street one panhandler was in shock and thought we might rob him(lol) but his buddy piped up and said that we had a "right to do dat". We walked right past a police cruiser with the group without incident and I understand that the group took photos near the capital building after we left for La Crosse.

A very enjoyable experience was had by all in the Liberal City.
Excellent. I have had no problems (knock on wood) in my OCing in the Madison area. I do believe that going out as a couple has a definite "disarming effect" (no pun intended) on the general public. My wife dosen't OC yet, but warmed up quickly to my carrying in public with her.:)

CUOfficer

imported post

I would say it was a win. Ihad several people approach me and ask about it. One particular gentleman in the Fair Trade coffee shop was very interested in the idea.As usual, the first question out of his mouth was "are you law enforcement?" When I informed him that I wasn't he didn't run away screaming. Planting the seed one at a time.......