• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Second Amendment March

nemo

imported post

The latest Alert (“What’s Next” dated 28 Mar 10) mentioned a Second Amendment March on 12 Apr 10 in Richmond. I am thinking of taking the day off to attend. But is anyone else going? I have not read anything about it except in the Alert.

Comments?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nemo wrote:
The latest Alert (“What’s Next” dated 28 Mar 10) mentioned a Second Amendment March on 12 Apr 10 in Richmond. I am thinking of taking the day off to attend. But is anyone else going? I have not read anything about it except in the Alert.

Comments?
Jane and I are going to Richmond.
I have a policy of not going further north than Fredricksburg so we won't go to DC.

nemo

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Glad to hear it. But where do we go? The Alert said Bell Tower or something, but that means nothing to me, especially since I am absolutely unfamiliar with Richmond, and even where cheap parking is. Is more info on this event available somewhere else?

I have a policy of not going further north than Fredricksburg so we won't go to DC.
I hear you, though we live outside of Winchester, a stone's throw from WV, so we are about as far north as you can get in NOVA. We, too, choose not to go to DC.

I do plan to attend the Virginia rally on 19 April, partly because it is a chance to let me OC my rifle, which I have always wanted to do. It is my dream that we Americans will march, still armed,from that rally into DC to join the other rally. I dream.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nemo wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Glad to hear it. But where do we go? The Alert said Bell Tower or something, but that means nothing to me, especially since I am absolutely unfamiliar with Richmond, and even where cheap parking is. Is more info on this event available somewhere else?

I hear you, though we live outside of Winchester, a stone's throw from WV, so we are about as far north as you can get in NOVA. We, too, choose not to go to DC.

I do plan to attend the Virginia rally on 19 April, partly because it is a chance to let me OC my rifle, which I have always wanted to do. It is my dream that we Americans will march, still armed,from that rally into DC to join the other rally. I dream.
It's in Capitol Square near the ...Capitol building. You'll see the people. We'll be the ones wearing guns and not in uniform.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am definitely planning on attending. The speakers they have lined up sound pretty good.

richarcm

imported post

I am the coordinator of the march. If you have any specific questions you can email me at crichardson@secondamendmentmarch.com or call me at 703.945.2588

The march is to be on Monday April 12, 2010 from 2pm-3pm at the bell tower on the grounds of the state capitol in Richmond, VA. If you can find the capitol you will see the people. Parking will be tricky. Get there early if possible to get a good spot. There are lots of places within a healthy walking distance to get lunch as the capitol is in the middle of the city. Open and responsible, law abiding carry is welcome. Banners and signs are not allowed.

For more general information visit:

www.secondamendmentmarch.com/virginia

Chris

nemo

imported post

Thanks, Chris.

However, I went to that website and found info only on the DC event that is scheduled for the following weekend, nothing on the Richmond event.

But, your basic advice is to get to Richmond early, i.e., mid-morning, to find parking in the vicinity of the Bell Tower, where ever that is, and to wait for the event to start. I'll be there with bells on.... and OC handgun, too, of course.

nemo

imported post

OK: google is my friend. I can now find the capitol and the bell tower. Where is parking? Is there a garage nearby, or did they make no provision for such, when they built the place, so I have to carry a pocket full of quarters, instead?

Burlyman78

imported post

I think I'm going to go too, and this is helpful info as I didn't have any details either.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nemo wrote:
OK: google is my friend. I can now find the capitol and the bell tower. Where is parking? Is there a garage nearby, or did they make no provision for such, when they built the place, so I have to carry a pocket full of quarters, instead?
There are several garages that fill up fast when there's an event. Two take up the block directly across the street, another a couple of blocks toward Broad and a couple on main.

nemo

imported post

peter nap wrote:
There are several garages that fill up fast when there's an event.
AHA! Thanks, Peter. But, how fast is fast? If I get there at 10, is that early enough? Maybe I had better plan on 9, with a big book, and a few cigars. Is there a cafe or breakfast shop in the area? I know: a Starbucks!
There are several garages that fill up fast when there's an event. Two take up the block directly across the street, another a couple of blocks toward Broad and a couple on main.
Directly across which street? Well, never mind. I will just start to circle the square... which is not the same thing as squaring the circle. Hey! I am a mathematician and didn't know it!

richarcm

imported post

I'm going to find a map of the area later today and post it to the SAM VA page. I'll post it here as well. There are places to eat and drink nearby as well. Everything is within walking distance.

Burlyman78

imported post

I'm planning to OC to the Richmond SAM on April 12, but I will also be carrying my usual EDC items, which include a can of OC on my belt, two spare mags, a leatherman, a spyderco Delica knife in my weakside pocket for weapon retention purposes, and an ankle gun. Are all of these things legal to carry in Richmond, particularly the OC and Spyderco Delica knife? I ask because I remember reading somewhere that Richmond has more restrictive knife laws (I think) than the rest of the state, and just am wondering if this applies to OC, etc.

Thanks,
Ben

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
I'm planning to OC to the Richmond SAM on April 12, but I will also be carrying my usual EDC items, which include a can of OC on my belt, two spare mags, a leatherman, a spyderco Delica knife in my weakside pocket for weapon retention purposes, and an ankle gun. Are all of these things legal to carry in Richmond, particularly the OC and Spyderco Delica knife? I ask because I remember reading somewhere that Richmond has more restrictive knife laws (I think) than the rest of the state, and just am wondering if this applies to OC, etc.

Thanks,
Ben
The state of Virginia has Knife laws Ben....Period.

Localities have no authority to make knife laws at all.
My opinion is you'll be a little overdressed, but there's nothing really wrong with that.

What you described is legal assuming you have a CHP for the concealed handguns.

Burlyman78

imported post

Thanks for your opinion of my EDC gear, Peter. Make a note: next time I'll ask if I want your opinion. As to your condescending, "Virginia has knife laws . . . period" comment, here is an excerpt from David Wong's, "Knife Laws of the Fifty States:"

"Note that municipal governments may enact their own ordinances prohibiting or otherwise further restricting knife carry in their jurisdictions, although few cities or towns, with perhaps the notable exception of Richmond, appear to have enacted ordinances with restrictions substantially greater than those embodied in state law."

What more restrictive knife ordinance in Richmond is the author talking about? This one here:

"Sec. 66-347. Clasp knives.

It shall be unlawful for any person to have in such person’s possession or to offer to sell or to sell a clasp knife having a blade more than 3 1/4 inches in length." (Richmond, VA Code of Ordinances)

What's a "clasp knife"? According to "Knife Laws of the Fifty States,":

"53.8 Selected City Ordinances
Richmond -- Unlawful to possess any "clasp knife" (generally, folding knife with locking blade with blade greater than three and a quarter inches."

The Virginia *state* statute doesn't contain any restrictions on blade length.

So, I guess Virginia *doesn't* have knife laws . . . period. Maybe you should do some research next time before you open your mouth.