• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Competitive shooters?

Norman

imported post

I'm looking at trying out IDPA or something similar. I've gone to their website, and lookd at the marksman's website. What I'm looking for is some kind of IDPA-jr type class, intro-class, etc. I don't want to jump in right away without knowing what to expect. Anyone have information? Thanks

Norm

oldkim

imported post

Thanks M1gunr,

Norm you can do a simple google search for oldkim and Shooting Like the Good Old Days - Shooting on the Move

I offer a practice day to shoot on the move and do fundamental shooting movements not typically allowed at gun ranges (unless you pay a large membership fee).

Draw from your holster, shoot on the move, shoot at multiple targets, practice failure drills, magazine changes, shooting using cover, shooting at steel plates, shooting at paper targets at various distances from touchingtofarther distances (typically about 21 feet).

The shoot is designed for folks that want something more on their range days to those that need to practice withtheir carry gear (concealed or open) and for those interested in getting into competitive actionshooting (e.g. IDPA or USPSA).

The fundamental differences to these shoots is that it is not a competition. No scores, no timer, you can shoot a stage multiple times to get comfortable. The Safety Officers set a tone of low stress as we understand everyonehas to learn andare all wanting everyone to be safe and to have fun. We love to share our enjoyment of shooting and will give pointers when needed to become better, more proficient and also aware of some bad habits we tend to pick up over the years.

A good bunch of gun loving folks, sharing agreat day out shooting and sharing some time together.

Bottomline: it's a blast of a day. The smiles on people after they have unloaded all their magazines in one shooting session (less than 3 minutes) is a sight to behold.

Where: Renton Fish and Game Club http://www.rfgc.org

When: TBA I have one for April but that is closing as I'm pretty full. I'm trying to keep them smaller this year so we can get more trigger time for each shooter. I'm a bit busy this summer so looking at in the fall for the next one (August - September).

How: I only email the folks on my email list. It's simple to get on my email list. Just email me with your full name, contact phone and a brief history of your shooting experience - if none then put none. oldkim@aol.com

Cost: $30 for non members of RFGC, $10 for members

I realize that some can't wait that long. I would strongly advise you to check out The Marksman as they hold practice shoots there on a weekly basis. Just let them know you are new and you'll be amazed how welcoming they are. Also Champion Arms holds a practice day too. Both are offered by Expert or Master levelor higher IDPA/USPSA shooters. Do check with their website to find out when and where.

Another option is to look for some steel challenge shoots. This is a great way to just get started into competition as you are either timed or shoot against another competitor (added stress). Check out Paul Bunyon Outdoor range down in Puyallup. They have a monthly shoot. It's also a great way to meet some IDPA / USPSA shooters. It's a small community so you'll see a lot of the same faces around.

Do read the information on the site for each to find out the basics regarding equipment and safety information. It can be very confusing so you may have to read it several times to make sense of it. www.idpa.com or www.uspsa.com

kschmadeka

imported post

Oldkim,

Last time I went to a practical shoot like this, my Tommy's Gun Pack wasn't good enough to use there. I don't remember the reason for sure, I think it was because the gun was pointed to the sidewhile drawing or something. Would that be an issue at your shoot? I could always stand sideways while drawing if I had to so the gun is pointed downrange.

Hammer

imported post

You need a safety check to shoot most any IDPA or USPSA match. That can take 1-3 hours, depending on your initial skill level.
Old Kim offers an attractive service for those that aren't ready to get their safety check and shoot in defensive comps.
We shoot speed steel at Custer's every 3rd Saturday at 10 AM. Usually you don't draw, but you may if you like. There is no or very limited motion. One stage of Speed Steel is Steel Challenge each month. No safety check is needed, but you will DQ if you handle your gun unsafely.
There are several skill sets and not all require you live fire. It would be good not to practice bad habits, tho, so some coaching from an experienced shooter is in your interest.
Good luck whatever you decide!

Norman

imported post

After reading the website I think I may sign up for a class with Oldkim and try to just observe a match or two at the club up there. I wonder if they let you observe the practices?

kschmadeka

imported post

Hammer wrote:
You need a safety check to shoot most any IDPA or USPSA match. That can take 1-3 hours, depending on your initial skill level.
Old Kim offers an attractive service for those that aren't ready to get their safety check and shoot in defensive comps.
We shoot speed steel at Custer's every 3rd Saturday at 10 AM. Usually you don't draw, but you may if you like. There is no or very limited motion. One stage of Speed Steel is Steel Challenge each month. No safety check is needed, but you will DQ if you handle your gun unsafely.
There are several skill sets and not all require you live fire. It would be good not to practice bad habits, tho, so some coaching from an experienced shooter is in your interest.
Good luck whatever you decide!
I get plenty of practice, just not at ranges, because all the safety regs make realistic training impossible. (Though I haven't been to every range around here, there might be one where it isn't.) The whole attraction of that last shoot I went to (which I think was at the Renton place) was using my carry gear, but I still got tripped up by safety regs. I think one of the issues was that my left hand was too close to the muzzle while drawing,though not in the way. Iwas like, sorry guys, that'sthe design of the holster. I doubt they'd let me use my own methods anyhow. When I shoot on the move, it's at a full sprint, not the slow walk I've seen people beingtrained to do. Sometimes zig-zagging on approach, usually with multiple targets in front of me to hit as fast as possible, and sometimes engaging over, under, and around obstacles. I'd love to go to a shooting event where I can use my own gear and methodology, but not if it means radical changes to my gear orhow I shoot. Maybe one of those Speed Steel shoots would be a good place to start, so I can see what Old Kim will let me do at his shoot. I'll try to plan on that.

oldkim

imported post

kschmadeka

As everything in life there are certain compromises (in this is safety is first).

Your gear and methods may not be in tune to the competitive side as it sounds a bit "less safe" due to muzzle covering certain body parts and the cant of your holster may be a bit too far.

Running full speed doesn't make sense - you lose way too much control over your muzzle (accuracy) versus safety issues (falling, missing the target). Shooting on the move (SOTM) isn't running but moving with purpose while shooting. This isn't "Call of Duty" - it's not a video game.

I try to stay in line with the safety requirements of IDPA and USPSA. I take the best of them and work with them. SorryNO shooting from the hip either.

Norm, You can certainly watch (be an observer) at any match too. Just make sure you sign the waiver and let the folks running it you are just there to watch.

kschmadeka

imported post

Well, I'll have to keep shooting in places where those things aren't issues. With practice though, shooting on the run is a lot more doable than it sounds, though it's not for every situation or for every shooter. But for me, putting a burst into a man-sized target 20' away at a lateral sprint is easy, andit makes mea lot harder to hit too. Also gets you into position faster to shoot without hitting bystanders if need be. I might make a video of itto post sometime.

oldkim

imported post

Yes, good clarification: I typically hand out print outs of the FAQ to new shooters.

Renton Fish and Game hosts the WA State Championships for IDPA and holds monthly matches (as mentioned every 3rd Saturday of each month all year long). For new shooters - please show up at least no later than8:30am to go through a safety check. The match usually starts at 10am. Cost is $15 per match.

Also USPSA (aka IPSC) matches are held every 4th Sunday at RFGC. You do have to go through a "safety check" before you go. These are a bit more detailed as there is way more "run and gun" in USPSA than IDPA. So you can not simply show up and shoot that match. You have to be cleared first before you go.

You can find more information also on http://www.RFGC.orglisted under the competition pages on the website.

Hammer

imported post

oldkim wrote:
SorryNO shooting from the hip either.
Interesting- RO's have let me point shoot, but it only makes sense when you can score 5's without sights.
I have a laser, so I can do that some, but don't rely on it.
to each his own.... :D