Thread: MSP LEO Interaction

Post imported post

During this whole interaction I had my full-face helmet on. Earlier today right after I'd picked up my motorcycle from the shop, I was filling up at a gas station with my GLOCK hanging halfway out below my riding jacket, poorly concealed. There was a MSP officer in his car, parked in front of the entrance door to the gas station. I finished filling up and moved my motorcycle to another part of the lot to wait for my friend who was inside. The MSP officer started walking towards me nonchalantly. I nodded at him as he got claser, thinking he may be coming to talk to me. When he was about 20 feet away he started up what seemed to be the beginning of a casual conversation. "Hey, how's it going?" or something of the sort. I greeted him in a friendly manner as he continued small talk for a few seconds. He hadn't said anything about me being stopped or detained so I said to him, "Just in case I'm being stopped, I have a CPL and I'm carrying a gun." He says, "Yes, I know, I saw it." "I figured that's why you were coming to talk to me", I say. He then asked to see my CPL and I complied and handed him my DL as well when he asked for it. He looked at them for maybe 10 seconds and handed them back and told me that I should keep my firearm concealed better. I told him that it's hard with this jacket but that I would see what I could do. Then he went on his way. I did not think to get his name.

Yes, I could have explained to him that open carry is legal so I wasn't going to try to keep my gun concealed, or that he was stopping me illegally because the presence of a gun in and of itself is not RAS for a stop, but I instead chose to play the nice guy and let it go. It was painless and he left me alone.

Just thought I'd share.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Banned

Post imported post

should have explained to him for sure in a nice guy tone and voice

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

There's no need to explain anything about OC to MSP, they already know.

We don't like getting a lecture and neither do they.

Post imported post

Beerme wrote:
    should have explained to him for sure in a nice guy tone and voice
    Actually, I feel that he handled the interaction properly.

For a variety of reasons, during a LEO interaction is not the best place to conduct education. They are in control. It is their arena. If the education doesn't go as planned, chances for a favorable adjudication of a traffic citation are reduced.

Watch for the UFO.

Post imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
    actually, I feel that he handled the interaction properly.

For a variety of reasons, during a LEO interaction is not the best place to conduct education. They are in control. It is their arena. If the education doesn't go as planned, chances for a favorable adjudication of a traffic citation are reduced.

+1

And i feel that half concealed is scary if someone were to see and go on making assumptions. there are no secrets when OCing. I am more nervous CCing if it accidentally becomes visible than when OCing.

Post imported post

I like my police holster for my CZ 82 for this reason. There is no doubt I am OCing on the bike as the whole gun and holster is exposed.

As for how ya did EM87 I think you did just fine. How is he to know you are OCing? He may have felt you were not aware your gun was showing and would want to know.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    I like my police holster for my CZ 82 for this reason. There is no doubt I am OCing on the bike as the whole gun and holster is exposed.

As for how ya did EM87 I think you did just fine. How is he to know you are OCing? He may have felt you were not aware your gun was showing and would want to know.
    Well I wasn't OCing, it was just poorly concealed. The bottom half was protruding from under my jacket. I made the comment about OC because I wasn't completely concealing, but it's not illegal to OC.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    I instead chose to play the nice guy and let it go.
    You handled it fine. Good job.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Nicely done.