• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSP LEO Interaction

EM87

imported post

During this whole interaction I had my full-face helmet on. Earlier today right after I'd picked up my motorcycle from the shop, I was filling up at a gas station with my GLOCK hanging halfway out below my riding jacket, poorly concealed. There was a MSP officer in his car, parked in front of the entrance door to the gas station. I finished filling up and moved my motorcycle to another part of the lot to wait for my friend who was inside. The MSP officer started walking towards me nonchalantly. I nodded at him as he got claser, thinking he may be coming to talk to me. When he was about 20 feet away he started up what seemed to be the beginning of a casual conversation. "Hey, how's it going?" or something of the sort. I greeted him in a friendly manner as he continued small talk for a few seconds. He hadn't said anything about me being stopped or detained so I said to him, "Just in case I'm being stopped, I have a CPL and I'm carrying a gun." He says, "Yes, I know, I saw it." "I figured that's why you were coming to talk to me", I say. He then asked to see my CPL and I complied and handed him my DL as well when he asked for it. He looked at them for maybe 10 seconds and handed them back and told me that I should keep my firearm concealed better. I told him that it's hard with this jacket but that I would see what I could do. Then he went on his way. I did not think to get his name.

Yes, I could have explained to him that open carry is legal so I wasn't going to try to keep my gun concealed, or that he was stopping me illegally because the presence of a gun in and of itself is not RAS for a stop, but I instead chose to play the nice guy and let it go. It was painless and he left me alone.

Just thought I'd share.

G

imported post

Beerme wrote:
should have explained to him for sure in a nice guy tone and voice
Actually, I feel that he handled the interaction properly.

For a variety of reasons, during a LEO interaction is not the best place to conduct education. They are in control. It is their arena. If the education doesn't go as planned, chances for a favorable adjudication of a traffic citation are reduced.

Watch for the UFO.

manicdevery

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
actually, I feel that he handled the interaction properly.

For a variety of reasons, during a LEO interaction is not the best place to conduct education. They are in control. It is their arena. If the education doesn't go as planned, chances for a favorable adjudication of a traffic citation are reduced.
+1

And i feel that half concealed is scary if someone were to see and go on making assumptions. there are no secrets when OCing. I am more nervous CCing if it accidentally becomes visible than when OCing.

autosurgeon

imported post

I like my police holster for my CZ 82 for this reason. There is no doubt I am OCing on the bike as the whole gun and holster is exposed.

As for how ya did EM87 I think you did just fine. How is he to know you are OCing? He may have felt you were not aware your gun was showing and would want to know.

EM87

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I like my police holster for my CZ 82 for this reason. There is no doubt I am OCing on the bike as the whole gun and holster is exposed.

As for how ya did EM87 I think you did just fine. How is he to know you are OCing? He may have felt you were not aware your gun was showing and would want to know.

Well I wasn't OCing, it was just poorly concealed. The bottom half was protruding from under my jacket. I made the comment about OC because I wasn't completely concealing, but it's not illegal to OC.