Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open carry may have saved her life

Post imported post

I was hunting Morel mushrooms yesterday with a friend in the Chattahoochee National Forest near Atlanta. We thought we were the only people there and heard a loud scream, next thing I know a woman comes running up crying and shaking violently. She asks me if I'm the only person there, I said no my buddy Korey was with me, she stated that she was getting texts from a number she didn't know and that the person said they could see her walking down by the river, which she was, I had my .40 on my hip in plain view and told her to calm down and that I would walk her out and drive her home, which I did. She was very, very scared. She thanked me over and over again for being her guardian angel. I'm not an angel by any means, I just did what I would want someone else to do if it were my mother, sister, or daughter down there. I have a GFL and carry everywhere I go. I told her how to obtain a GFL and to never go anywhere unarmed. Whether someone actually wanted to cause her harm, I don't know, just glad I was there, and armed. Even though I don't care for Obama, thanks for signing the law allowing firearms in our national parks. I hope Kirsten takes my advice. By the way I'm 28, if that matters to anyone.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Welcome aboard and way to go helping out the lady. Good thing you were there.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Thanks, we have to take care of ourselves and others. The police have no constitutional or legal obligation to protect us, we are on our own, and should always have the tools to protect those who cannot protect themselves. We, as firearm owners, are the first and last line of defense. Only 750,000 police nationally, 200,000,000 firearm owners nationally. WE are the defenders of freedom, liberty, and life.

Post imported post

Freedom is the greatest of values we have here, yet it must be tempered with responsibility. Of such is the need to defend our own lives (and the lives of our loved ones) from those that seek us harm. I hope she takes this horrible event and see's the logic in getting a home defense weapon at least. A concealed weapon and permit even better.

Post imported post

Well Done !!!!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Not sure why no one used her phone to notify police. Text messages are traceable, no?

Asked if I am the only person there? My ambush antennae would go way up on that one. "No ma'am. The rest of my platoon is spread out nearby, ready to execute a single-envelopment assault on this exact spotright here. Air-support is already on station." No reason at all that might not have been a set up. At least reading it here without seeing all the indications a witness would.

Drive her home? The OP has more courage than me."No, ma'am. Stay away from me. Give me your phone and I will call a ranger for you.Lets walk over here where I can get some cover behind those rocks."

And, why would she be out in the woods herself, with no car at the trailhead or something?

I don'tquite follow.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Sniff, sniff.

Post imported post

She was middle-age, clean cut and had walked over from apartments nearby. She said she had been walking the trail ever since she was a little girl. I thought the same thing at first, am I being set up? It also helped that I have a B.S.,M.C.P. in psychology, and 100 hours of chiropractic school completed that helps me evaluate body language. This woman's sympathetic nervous system was in fight or flight mode, she chose flight and was shaking violently from the adrenaline, crying, and scared to death, she said a woman was murdered and decapitated in that area a few years ago, made me think, then why are you out here alone and unarmed...

Post imported post

golightly00 wrote:
    I was hunting Morel mushrooms yesterday with a friend in the Chattahoochee National Forest near Atlanta. We thought we were the only people there and heard a loud scream, next thing I know a woman comes running up crying and shaking violently. She asks me if I'm the only person there, I said no my buddy Korey was with me, she stated that she was getting texts from a number she didn't know and that the person said they could see her walking down by the river, which she was, I had my .40 on my hip in plain view and told her to calm down and that I would walk her out and drive her home, which I did. She was very, very scared. She thanked me over and over again for being her guardian angel. I'm not an angel by any means, I just did what I would want someone else to do if it were my mother, sister, or daughter down there. I have a GFL and carry everywhere I go. I told her how to obtain a GFL and to never go anywhere unarmed. Whether someone actually wanted to cause her harm, I don't know, just glad I was there, and armed. Even though I don't care for Obama, thanks for signing the law allowing firearms in our national parks. I hope Kirsten takes my advice. By the way I'm 28, if that matters to anyone.
    Let me get this straight...

A woman gets text messages on her phone... In order to receive a text message from someone that someone sending the text must have the number of the phone they are texting to. So how could a stranger from a number the woman didn't recognize just up and send a text to the woman's phone a stranger wouldn't know the number to so they could say they were observing the person with the phone they wouldn't know the number to?

The woman is so upset over a text message she screams... Really? Screams? Because someone is watching her? Seems to be an over the top reaction?

The woman then runs to you asking of you are alone... Why would she ask that? Wouldn't she simply ask for help? Why the emphasis on whether or not you are alone?

My opinion....

One of two things... either the woman (and perhaps her friend hiding in the bushes) had nefarious plans for you if you had been alone or...

This story is BS.

Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    golightly00 wrote:
    Let me get this straight...

A woman gets text messages on her phone... In order to receive a text message from someone that someone sending the text must have the number of the phone they are texting to. So how could a stranger from a number the woman didn't recognize just up and send a text to the woman's phone a stranger wouldn't know the number to so they could say they were observing the person with the phone they wouldn't know the number to?

The woman is so upset over a text message she screams... Really? Screams? Because someone is watching her? Seems to be an over the top reaction?

The woman then runs to you asking of you are alone... Why would she ask that? Wouldn't she simply ask for help? Why the emphasis on whether or not you are alone?

My opinion....

One of two things... either the woman (and perhaps her friend hiding in the bushes) had nefarious plans for you if you had been alone or...

This story is BS.

Maybe that's why she was freaked out in the first place. Imagine you being in that position. You receive text messages from a number you do not recognize, and they're telling you exactly what you're doing at that very moment, yet, you can't see anybody. You're alone. Would that freak you out a bit?

Post imported post

You know, it kinda irks me how everybody always cries BS whenever there's something they don't understand in a story. I've seen a lotta weird stuff and if somebody had just told me about it I probably wouldn't have believed them either.

And I also have experience getting weird texts from a number that I didn't recognize. I got a couple of texts saying 'I see you standing in your driveway talking to your mom and a little black girl' and others to that effect. And I was standing in my driveway talking to my mom and my little sister, who is black. Scared the sh*t outta me. I ran inside and grabbed my shotgun and came back out. Found out it was my other idiot sister who was sitting in the car. She had gotten a new phone and hadn't given me the number yet.

And maybe the girl in the story asked if he was the only person there because she was trying to find out if the person texting her was in the near vicinity.

Just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just sayin'.

Post imported post

it's not that hard to get somebodies phone number if you know the right people or have the patience to do some legwork.

and besides........aren't alot of rapes and crimes done by people that know your or friends of friends??? all it takes is a friend of a friend to get personal information on a victim.

Post imported post

Agree, It's not hard to get any info on anybody if you are willing to doa liitle work.

But my question, I'm not saying if story is tur or not, why would this woman run to you a stranger with an OC gun and ask if you were alone?
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

Alamo Jack wrote:
    You know, it kinda irks me how everybody always cries BS whenever there's something they don't understand in a story. I've seen a lotta weird stuff and if somebody had just told me about it I probably wouldn't have believed them either.

And I also have experience getting weird texts from a number that I didn't recognize. I got a couple of texts saying 'I see you standing in your driveway talking to your mom and a little black girl' and others to that effect. And I was standing in my driveway talking to my mom and my little sister, who is black. Scared the sh*t outta me. I ran inside and grabbed my shotgun and came back out. Found out it was my other idiot sister who was sitting in the car. She had gotten a new phone and hadn't given me the number yet.

But your sister already had the number of your phone so she could call your phone.

And maybe the girl in the story asked if he was the only person there because she was trying to find out if the person texting her was in the near vicinity.

Just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just sayin'.

Logic goes a long ways to understanding the holes in someone's story... and before folks go bonkers... think! The holes are all in the woman's story about getting text messages... then screaming? because of text messages... then wanting to know if her supposed knight in shining armor is alone?
    It irks me when folks only read what they want to see in a post....

I said.... it was my opinion that either the woman was up to no good based upon the holes in her story (but some conveniently skipped that part) OR the whole story was BS.

And I stand by my opinion.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

BS story...

Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

First off the "story" is 100% real. Second, she said she screamed as loud as possible because she thought that is what you do if you are going to be attacked, or are being attacked, you know, draw attention and maybe the person will flee. Third, she asked if I was alone because she thought I might be the person sending her the text messages. She didn't know if I was friend or foe. There are a number of ways people can get your phone number. For all I know it could have been an ex-husband/boyfriend stalking her and wanting to hurt her, it could have been a prank. I don't need to defend myself to your "expert" analysis of what happened, which you say didn't even happen, just figured I'd give you all the information I gathered. Whether she called the police to report the messages, I don't know. I drove her to her apartment on Akers Ridge Drive SE Atlanta,GA.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

So Mr. Goolightly how did she determine that you did not make the phone call/text messages and why did she feel comfortable getting in a vehicle with a stranger? Why would she not think you were the threat?

Did you leave your friend in the woods or did she ride out with two strangers?

Either she or you did report this to the police, right? I mean you did want to stop this from happening to somebody else surely.

See the problem is we get a certain amount of unsubstantiated new poster stories. Then the newbie gets angry because we don't buy into it 100% Well guess what - no back-up data in a story with wide gaps, especially from someone whose history is not known here, no cookie, no cigar.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

golightly00 wrote:
    I was hunting Morel mushrooms yesterday with a friend in the Chattahoochee National Forest near Atlanta. ...I had my .40 on my hip in plain view.

I had no idea Morel mushrooms were so dangerous to hunt JK

Post imported post

Sorta like that famous movie quote:

"HAVE YOU CHECKED ON THE CHILDREN?" MUHAHAHA!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Not sure why no one used her phone to notify police. Text messages are traceable, no?

Asked if I am the only person there? My ambush antennae would go way up on that one. "No ma'am. The rest of my platoon is spread out nearby, ready to execute a single-envelopment assault on this exact spotright here. Air-support is already on station." No reason at all that might not have been a set up. At least reading it here without seeing all the indications a witness would.

Drive her home? The OP has more courage than me."No, ma'am. Stay away from me. Give me your phone and I will call a ranger for you.Lets walk over here where I can get some cover behind those rocks."

And, why would she be out in the woods herself, with no car at the trailhead or something?

I don'tquite follow.
    And ypur little dog too!

Post imported post

This story is just goofy enough to e true.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Just a point of clarification, the law allowing the carrying of firearms in national parks does NOT apply to national forests, such as the Chattahoochee. More details here: http://fs.usda.gov/goto/conf/nps-firearms-news

Post imported post

I copied this directly from the website,
    Guide to Firearms Use on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests
    The possession and use of firearms on the forest is governed by state and federal law. While every eventuality cannot be addressed, the following is an overview of these laws as they affect the two national forests in Georgia.
    Target Shooting
    While we encourage persons participating in target shooting to practice on the national forests’ shooting ranges, it is possible to target shoot in areas of the forest (outside of shooting ranges) with some restrictions.
    The following are prohibited on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forest.
    Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of an open public road as well as on or across a forest system road.
    Discharging a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area.
    Discharging a firearm on or across a body of water except when engaged in legal hunting, such as duck hunting.
    Discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
    Discharging a firearm into or within a cave.
    Discharging a firearm in a manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage (provide for safe bullet impact area).
    Transporting a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.
    Possession of a firearm in any Federal building or facility (prohibited even with a state concealed carry permit) {18 USC 930}.
    Littering (remove all trash including targets and spent shell casings)
    In addition to the above mentioned laws and regulations, the carrying of a firearm on your person is governed primarily by state law.Â* These laws can be viewed in the online version of the Georgia Code. Expand Title 16---Chapter 11---Article 4---Parts 1, 2, & 3
    Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety
    Control the direction of the firearm’s muzzle.Â* Keep the safety on and fingers off the trigger at all times until ready to shoot.
    Identify the target and what is beyond it before shooting.Â* Know the identifying features of the game hunted and be absolutely certain that what you are aiming at is that game.
    Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
    Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions and that only the proper size of ammunition is used in the firearm.
    Always unload a firearm when it is not in use, leave the actions open, carry empty firearms in a case to and from shooting areas.
    Never aim a firearm at anything that you do not intend to shoot.Â* Avoid all horseplay with a firearm.
    Never climb a tree or fence, or jump a ditch or log, with a loaded firearm.Â* Never pull a firearm towards you by the muzzle.
    Never shoot a bullet at a flat, hard surface or at water.Â* Make sure backstops are adequate during target practice.
    Store firearms and ammunition separately and beyond the reach of children and careless adults.
    Avoid all alcoholic beverages and drugs before and during shooting.
    Â*

Post imported post

Grapeshot, how did she know it wasn't us? Well we were standing right next to her talking to her as she continued to get new messages from the number with a (773) area code. I didn't notify police, don't know if she did either, I dropped her off and left. Of course I took my friend with me.

Post imported post

So because he originally forgot to mention he that he took his friend with him = made up story. I guess he should have said "My friend came with me" to make it legit, huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast