• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry may have saved her life

golightly00

imported post

I was hunting Morel mushrooms yesterday with a friend in the Chattahoochee National Forest near Atlanta. We thought we were the only people there and heard a loud scream, next thing I know a woman comes running up crying and shaking violently. She asks me if I'm the only person there, I said no my buddy Korey was with me, she stated that she was getting texts from a number she didn't know and that the person said they could see her walking down by the river, which she was, I had my .40 on my hip in plain view and told her to calm down and that I would walk her out and drive her home, which I did. She was very, very scared. She thanked me over and over again for being her guardian angel. I'm not an angel by any means, I just did what I would want someone else to do if it were my mother, sister, or daughter down there. I have a GFL and carry everywhere I go. I told her how to obtain a GFL and to never go anywhere unarmed. Whether someone actually wanted to cause her harm, I don't know, just glad I was there, and armed. Even though I don't care for Obama, thanks for signing the law allowing firearms in our national parks. I hope Kirsten takes my advice. By the way I'm 28, if that matters to anyone.

golightly00

imported post

Thanks, we have to take care of ourselves and others. The police have no constitutional or legal obligation to protect us, we are on our own, and should always have the tools to protect those who cannot protect themselves. We, as firearm owners, are the first and last line of defense. Only 750,000 police nationally, 200,000,000 firearm owners nationally. WE are the defenders of freedom, liberty, and life.

nofoa

imported post

Freedom is the greatest of values we have here, yet it must be tempered with responsibility. Of such is the need to defend our own lives (and the lives of our loved ones) from those that seek us harm. I hope she takes this horrible event and see's the logic in getting a home defense weapon at least. A concealed weapon and permit even better.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not sure why no one used her phone to notify police. Text messages are traceable, no?

Asked if I am the only person there? My ambush antennae would go way up on that one. "No ma'am. The rest of my platoon is spread out nearby, ready to execute a single-envelopment assault on this exact spotright here. Air-support is already on station." No reason at all that might not have been a set up. At least reading it here without seeing all the indications a witness would.

Drive her home? The OP has more courage than me."No, ma'am. Stay away from me. Give me your phone and I will call a ranger for you.Lets walk over here where I can get some cover behind those rocks."

And, why would she be out in the woods herself, with no car at the trailhead or something?

I don'tquite follow.

golightly00

imported post

She was middle-age, clean cut and had walked over from apartments nearby. She said she had been walking the trail ever since she was a little girl. I thought the same thing at first, am I being set up? It also helped that I have a B.S.,M.C.P. in psychology, and 100 hours of chiropractic school completed that helps me evaluate body language. This woman's sympathetic nervous system was in fight or flight mode, she chose flight and was shaking violently from the adrenaline, crying, and scared to death, she said a woman was murdered and decapitated in that area a few years ago, made me think, then why are you out here alone and unarmed...

B

Bikenut

imported post

golightly00 wrote:
I was hunting Morel mushrooms yesterday with a friend in the Chattahoochee National Forest near Atlanta. We thought we were the only people there and heard a loud scream, next thing I know a woman comes running up crying and shaking violently. She asks me if I'm the only person there, I said no my buddy Korey was with me, she stated that she was getting texts from a number she didn't know and that the person said they could see her walking down by the river, which she was, I had my .40 on my hip in plain view and told her to calm down and that I would walk her out and drive her home, which I did. She was very, very scared. She thanked me over and over again for being her guardian angel. I'm not an angel by any means, I just did what I would want someone else to do if it were my mother, sister, or daughter down there. I have a GFL and carry everywhere I go. I told her how to obtain a GFL and to never go anywhere unarmed. Whether someone actually wanted to cause her harm, I don't know, just glad I was there, and armed. Even though I don't care for Obama, thanks for signing the law allowing firearms in our national parks. I hope Kirsten takes my advice. By the way I'm 28, if that matters to anyone.
Let me get this straight...

A woman gets text messages on her phone... In order to receive a text message from someone that someone sending the text must have the number of the phone they are texting to. So how could a stranger from a number the woman didn't recognize just up and send a text to the woman's phone a stranger wouldn't know the number to so they could say they were observing the person with the phone they wouldn't know the number to?

The woman is so upset over a text message she screams... Really? Screams? Because someone is watching her? Seems to be an over the top reaction?

The woman then runs to you asking of you are alone... Why would she ask that? Wouldn't she simply ask for help? Why the emphasis on whether or not you are alone?

My opinion....

One of two things... either the woman (and perhaps her friend hiding in the bushes) had nefarious plans for you if you had been alone or...

This story is BS.

Aaron1124

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
golightly00 wrote:
Let me get this straight...

A woman gets text messages on her phone... In order to receive a text message from someone that someone sending the text must have the number of the phone they are texting to. So how could a stranger from a number the woman didn't recognize just up and send a text to the woman's phone a stranger wouldn't know the number to so they could say they were observing the person with the phone they wouldn't know the number to?

The woman is so upset over a text message she screams... Really? Screams? Because someone is watching her? Seems to be an over the top reaction?

The woman then runs to you asking of you are alone... Why would she ask that? Wouldn't she simply ask for help? Why the emphasis on whether or not you are alone?

My opinion....

One of two things... either the woman (and perhaps her friend hiding in the bushes) had nefarious plans for you if you had been alone or...

This story is BS.

Maybe that's why she was freaked out in the first place. Imagine you being in that position. You receive text messages from a number you do not recognize, and they're telling you exactly what you're doing at that very moment, yet, you can't see anybody. You're alone. Would that freak you out a bit?

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

You know, it kinda irks me how everybody always cries BS whenever there's something they don't understand in a story. I've seen a lotta weird stuff and if somebody had just told me about it I probably wouldn't have believed them either.

And I also have experience getting weird texts from a number that I didn't recognize. I got a couple of texts saying 'I see you standing in your driveway talking to your mom and a little black girl' and others to that effect. And I was standing in my driveway talking to my mom and my little sister, who is black. Scared the sh*t outta me. I ran inside and grabbed my shotgun and came back out. Found out it was my other idiot sister who was sitting in the car. She had gotten a new phone and hadn't given me the number yet.

And maybe the girl in the story asked if he was the only person there because she was trying to find out if the person texting her was in the near vicinity.

Just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just sayin'.

scorpio_vette

imported post

it's not that hard to get somebodies phone number if you know the right people or have the patience to do some legwork.

and besides........aren't alot of rapes and crimes done by people that know your or friends of friends??? all it takes is a friend of a friend to get personal information on a victim.

Packer fan

imported post

Agree, It's not hard to get any info on anybody if you are willing to doa liitle work.

But my question, I'm not saying if story is tur or not, why would this woman run to you a stranger with an OC gun and ask if you were alone?

B

Bikenut

imported post

Alamo Jack wrote:
You know, it kinda irks me how everybody always cries BS whenever there's something they don't understand in a story. I've seen a lotta weird stuff and if somebody had just told me about it I probably wouldn't have believed them either.

And I also have experience getting weird texts from a number that I didn't recognize. I got a couple of texts saying 'I see you standing in your driveway talking to your mom and a little black girl' and others to that effect. And I was standing in my driveway talking to my mom and my little sister, who is black. Scared the sh*t outta me. I ran inside and grabbed my shotgun and came back out. Found out it was my other idiot sister who was sitting in the car. She had gotten a new phone and hadn't given me the number yet.

But your sister already had the number of your phone so she could call your phone.

And maybe the girl in the story asked if he was the only person there because she was trying to find out if the person texting her was in the near vicinity.

Just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just sayin'.

Logic goes a long ways to understanding the holes in someone's story... and before folks go bonkers... think! The holes are all in the woman's story about getting text messages... then screaming? because of text messages... then wanting to know if her supposed knight in shining armor is alone?
It irks me when folks only read what they want to see in a post....

I said.... it was my opinion that either the woman was up to no good based upon the holes in her story (but some conveniently skipped that part) OR the whole story was BS.

And I stand by my opinion.

golightly00

imported post

First off the "story" is 100% real. Second, she said she screamed as loud as possible because she thought that is what you do if you are going to be attacked, or are being attacked, you know, draw attention and maybe the person will flee. Third, she asked if I was alone because she thought I might be the person sending her the text messages. She didn't know if I was friend or foe. There are a number of ways people can get your phone number. For all I know it could have been an ex-husband/boyfriend stalking her and wanting to hurt her, it could have been a prank. I don't need to defend myself to your "expert" analysis of what happened, which you say didn't even happen, just figured I'd give you all the information I gathered. Whether she called the police to report the messages, I don't know. I drove her to her apartment on Akers Ridge Drive SE Atlanta,GA.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

So Mr. Goolightly how did she determine that you did not make the phone call/text messages and why did she feel comfortable getting in a vehicle with a stranger? Why would she not think you were the threat?

Did you leave your friend in the woods or did she ride out with two strangers?

Either she or you did report this to the police, right? I mean you did want to stop this from happening to somebody else surely.

See the problem is we get a certain amount of unsubstantiated new poster stories. Then the newbie gets angry because we don't buy into it 100% Well guess what - no back-up data in a story with wide gaps, especially from someone whose history is not known here, no cookie, no cigar.

Yata hey

Meplat

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Not sure why no one used her phone to notify police. Text messages are traceable, no?

Asked if I am the only person there? My ambush antennae would go way up on that one. "No ma'am. The rest of my platoon is spread out nearby, ready to execute a single-envelopment assault on this exact spotright here. Air-support is already on station." No reason at all that might not have been a set up. At least reading it here without seeing all the indications a witness would.

Drive her home? The OP has more courage than me."No, ma'am. Stay away from me. Give me your phone and I will call a ranger for you.Lets walk over here where I can get some cover behind those rocks."

And, why would she be out in the woods herself, with no car at the trailhead or something?

I don'tquite follow.
And ypur little dog too!