• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

transporting handgun through non OC state (MD)?

GWRedDragon

imported post

http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t17t20+544+0++()%20%20AND%20((18)%20ADJ%20USC):CITE%20AND%20(USC%20w/10%20(926A)):CITE%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I suggest bringing a copy of this with you. And, don't go through NJ anyway, because even though you are protected by federal law they don't care and may arrest you anyway.

nova

imported post

vaguard wrote:
The state that I am looking at going through is Maryland
I haven't heard any instances of MD not respecting FOPA '86.

I still make sure I drive in a manor I won't get pulled over though, no need to invite the opportunity.

darthmord

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Keep a copy of that law, unload and lock the gun and ammo in your trunk, and you should be fine.

Last time I drove through MD, I did all that except keep a copy of the law with me. Besides, the only way they were going to find out about a gun would have been if they were searching my vehicle's trunk space.

Though if they were searching my trunk, that encounter would have already gone way south and I'd be waiting for my ride to jail.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
vaguard wrote:

I still make sure I drive in a manor I won't get pulled over though, no need to invite the opportunity.

Md takes the position that the FOPA is an "affirmative defense". That is, they can arrest you, charge you with unlawful possession of a firearm, and put you on trial, and it's up to you to prove, then, that you began and planned to end your trip in places where it was legal for you to have firearms.

The wrinkle in this is that they still have to have probable cause to arrest you or a warrant, in order to search the car. So if they get you for DUI or possession of marijuana, or some such thing, and you've got a gun in the trunk, you can consider yourself perfectly and thoroughly screwed.

eddyys

imported post

I also have a similar question to this... In the state of MD even having in possession of you a handgun while being under the age of 21 is illegal, what are the laws pertaining someone driving from Virginia to Vermont while not 21 or under 18.

Does FOPA protect you as long as you are 18 and above?

GWRedDragon

imported post

eddyys wrote:
I also have a similar question to this...  In the state of MD even having in possession of you a handgun while being under the age of 21 is illegal, what are the laws pertaining someone driving from Virginia to Vermont while not 21 or under 18.

Why wouldn't it? It doesn't say anything about exempting an age prohibition.

t33j

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
eddyys wrote:
I also have a similar question to this...  In the state of MD even having in possession of you a handgun while being under the age of 21 is illegal, what are the laws pertaining someone driving from Virginia to Vermont while not 21 or under 18.

Done that... to hike a mountain in the Fall.

Why wouldn't it? It doesn't say anything about exempting an age prohibition.
This.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

user wrote:
nova wrote:
vaguard wrote:

Md takes the position that the FOPA is an "affirmative defense". That is, they can arrest you, charge you with unlawful possession of a firearm, and put you on trial, and it's up to you to prove, then, that you began and planned to end your trip in places where it was legal for you to have firearms.

The wrinkle in this is that they still have to have probable cause to arrest you or a warrant, in order to search the car. So if they get you for DUI or possession of marijuana, or some such thing, and you've got a gun in the trunk, you can consider yourself perfectly and thoroughly screwed.
How can they do this if someone is following the requirements of the FOPA carefully and that someone is passing through to his destination? Or would they under those circumstances?

For example, suppose I was to travel to Pennsylvania from Virginia and while in Maryland, stopped for fuel and food. They would fall within the parameters of the FOPA as acceptable for my travel. How might Maryland view this?

lax

imported post

From the Maryland State Police Website
http://www.msp.maryland.gov/downloads/licensing_faq.pdf

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate?
A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person
who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving
a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose
from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any
ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible
from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or
ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the
glove compartment or console.

Can I legally transport my regulated firearm to the range?
A. Yes, however, Maryland and Federal laws require specific conditions be
met while transporting a handgun. Please refer to Maryland Annotated
Code, Criminal Law, Title 4, Section 203 for a detailed account of wearing,
carrying, or transporting a handgun. You may access the Maryland
General Assembly website at http://mlis.state.md.us/
You can access the Federal requirements through www.atf.gov and
conduct a search for “27 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 178” and then
look for “Transportation of Firearms.”
The basic requirement during transport is the handgun must be unloaded
and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate
from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from
the locations listed in the statute.
Go to the following website for Criminal Law Title 4-203 regarding
wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun:
http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes_Respond.asp?article=gcr&section=4- 203&Extension=HTML

FightingGlock19

imported post

user wrote:
Why would ANY responsible gun owner be driving after drinking, or smoking pot???????????

big_bake

imported post

If your not doing anything dumb you shouldn't be getting pulled in the first place. And if you are speeding or something of that nature it should not raise the officer's suspicion to search your vehicle.

Let's just say I'm buying fireworks for example, and bringing them to a state where they are not perfectly legal. I would be signaling all my lane changes, keeping a safe distance, speed limit, etc to make sure I have no run in with the law

nova

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
user wrote:
nova wrote:
vaguard wrote:

How can they do this if someone is following the requirements of the FOPA carefully and that someone is passing through to his destination?
Easy. They simply don't care about the law.:?

2a4all

imported post

user wrote:
nova wrote:
vaguard wrote:

Or, this could happen:

My barber told me that her boyfriend's son had recently been arrested in MD for possession of a handgun (don't remember how he got into that fix), and that he recently had his trial, after an initial postponement. It seems that someone had done some research on the judge, and learned he is not as anti-gun as the intent of state law. The son received a 3 yr probation with the proviso that if he stayed out of trouble in MD for that period of time, the conviction would be expunged. He did lose his gun, though, and someone is out some hefty attorney's fees.