• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woodbridge DMV

possumboy

imported post

I took a trip to the DMV. Here is what happened...

I entered and went to the self-service machines - I did not know they were no longer available.

As I was walking back to get in line, I noticed one of the security guards (SG1)had moved from the entrance, to talk with another security guard (SG2). I saw SG1 point towards me and I heard the words "He" and "gun".

I went back in line and waited. The first thing that the women at the information desk did was ask "Are you a police officer?" I answer "No, ma'am. I'm here to get new decals." Her reply was "Oh" She takes my information and gives me what I need. During this converstation, I notice SG1 has moved to the side of the information desk.

As I go to get a clipboard, SG1 asks if I have a Driver's License. I tell him, "Yes, Yes I do." He then asks "Can I see it?"

I say "No, sir" and go and take a seat.

The rest of the trip went as expected. Long wait for under three minutes of business.

OK, there was another annoyance... SG2 was telling people not to block the doors because the line was going outside, yet SG2 was blocking the the right side making it difficult to exit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Forty-five wrote:
possumboy wrote:
...I say "No, sir" and go and take a seat...
Nice touch.
You did good Forty-five.

Found out recently that DMV charges $5.00 extra to issue tags to walk-ins.
Wonder where DMV gets the authority for the add-on charge?

Chesterfield Co,. who sells the state decals at the Tax Office, does NOT charge extra for the same service - strange.

Yata hey

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I recently went with my wife to the Franconia DMV and was open carrying the whole time. The security guard there noticed my gun but didn't even give it a second look. Maybe they are a little paranoid in Woodbridge.

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Chesterfield Co,. who sells the state decals at the Tax Office, does NOT charge extra for the same service - strange.

Yata hey
I don't know about the authority, but I do know the reason, at least part of it.

Two summers ago, I attended a couple of PII subcommittee meetings in Richmond in support fixing the flawed CHP privacy bill. During one of those meetings, the Commissioner of the DMV gave about a 10 minute presentation on REAL ID.

One of the points he made was that due to the anticipated increase in time required to process certain DMV customers in support of REAL ID, they were pushing as much stuff out of the DMV offices to either on-line or by mail as they possibly could. To encourage this transition, they were adjusting the fees to provide an incentive to not come to the DMV branch in person.

TFred

VApatriot

imported post

Last year, for almost a hour,I stood in a line that was well out the door of the Fair Oaks Mall DMV. There were two armed guards who took turns walking up and down the line to keep it organized, and neither one said anything to me orseemed to give me any extra attention for open carrying.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I don't know about the authority, but I do know the reason, at least part of it.

Two summers ago, I attended a couple of PII subcommittee meetings in Richmond in support fixing the flawed CHP privacy bill. During one of those meetings, the Commissioner of the DMV gave about a 10 minute presentation on REAL ID.

One of the points he made was that due to the anticipated increase in time required to process certain DMV customers in support of REAL ID, they were pushing as much stuff out of the DMV offices to either on-line or by mail as they possibly could. To encourage this transition, they were adjusting the fees to provide an incentive to not come to the DMV branch in person.

TFred
Well we have no REAL ID, but we are charged extra for use of credit card, debit card and checks whether on line or mailed to them.

They only way you can pay cash is to walk-in and one pays $5.00 extra for that.

The true cost of tags/decals is as nebulous as the quoted monthly rate for cell phone usage or cable TV - that's plus fees, taxes, service charges + + :banghead:

Yata hey

gis

imported post

Never had any issues OCing at the Chantilly DMV last year. I did have an issue getting the lady in the window to figure out how to put VA plates on a vehicle with my wife's maiden name on the title and married name on the insurance policy. :)

zoom6zoom

imported post

I've only had to go to the DMV in person twice in the past ten years (Woodbridge), and once was to VOTE. No issues with OC.

I'm actually surprised that the price of a DL hasn't been increased. Still a bargain compared to other .gov fees.

jsfrederick

imported post

possumboy wrote:

As I go to get a clipboard, SG1 asks if I have a Driver's License. I tell him, "Yes, Yes I do." He then asks "Can I see it?"

Probably that bald head that scared him away!

When you wanna go to the range??

NOCSA

imported post

possumboy wrote:

I entered and went to the self-service machines - I did not know they were no longer available.

As I was walking back to get in line, I noticed one of the security guards (SG1)had moved from the entrance, to talk with another security guard (SG2). I saw SG1 point towards me and I heard the words "He" and "gun".

I went back in line and waited. The first thing that the women at the information desk did was ask "Are you a police officer?" I answer "No, ma'am. I'm here to get new decals." Her reply was "Oh" She takes my information and gives me what I need. During this converstation, I notice SG1 has moved to the side of the information desk.

The rest of the trip went as expected. Long wait for under three minutes of business.

OK, there was another annoyance... SG2 was telling people not to block the doors because the line was going outside, yet SG2 was blocking the the right side making it difficult to exit.
Good answer :)