Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serpa Fail!

Post imported post

I know that the Serpa is a favorite of people on this site, I own one myself, but this video is pretty telling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_VA_Z7RsA

:what:

Post imported post

meh, Im not gonna worry about it.

With all the tens of thousands of serpa holsters out there, theres bound to be a failure or 2.

So if the 0.01% chance of a serpa lock problem bugs you...spend $50 on a leather thumb break.

OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Post imported post

My main holster is the Safariland 6280 for OC plan on getting a crossbreed for the rare occasions that I CC, I think it's more comfortable and worth the additional $$$. I'm wondering though if this is one of the original Serpas that were notorious for this. I don't know enough about the design changes that Blackhawk made to be able to tell from looking at the video.

Post imported post

Well, it certainly had good retention ....
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Definitely an older Serpa. They used to pop off the paddle like that one did in the video.

The new ones won't do that.

My guess is that the odds of the button getting stuck are unchanged, however.

Post imported post

Take a close look at Safariland's ALS paddle holster.

Safe and fast, well built and competitive with the Serpa and much more of a holster.

Compare for yourself.

Post imported post

One thing's for sure, retention aint a problem with a Serpa!
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

PAPACHUCK wrote:
    Take a close look at Safariland's ALS paddle holster.

Safe and fast, well built and competitive with the Serpa and much more of a holster.

Compare for yourself.
    I am stuck with the older SLS because they don't make this one for my gun yet. Not complaining though. My serpa became a drawer dweller the second I brought my Safariland home.

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Well, it certainly had good retention ....
    Hah! Oh man that made me laugh.

Post imported post

Dahwg wrote:
    I am stuck with the older SLS because they don't make this one for my gun yet. Not complaining though. My serpa became a drawer dweller the second I brought my Safariland home.
    Well if you used a perfect gun like a Glock, you would be able to use the Safariland Raptor Level III holster with the Level V upgrade.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

If the Serpa CQC is good enough for the US Marine Corps to use in service in Afganistan, and the DOD in general (issued with ALL newly issued M9A1's) then it's good enough for me.

I own 2 Serpa CQCs, and they both work flawlessly.

Just like your firearm, keep them clean, and they just WORK...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Equipment sometimes fails. I had my carry Glock 23 go kaboom from a case head failure (Federal Hydra shocks), lesson learned. I ALWAYS carry a BUG, anything can and will fail given time IMHO.

I repaired the Glock and she is fine now years later.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:

My guess is that the odds of the button getting stuck are unchanged, however.
    I remember hearing that Blackhawk made some changes to the release button to minimize the possibility of gravel or other debris keeping it from releasing.

Post imported post

I'm a Safariland user, but I don't buy this. If they had a point to prove, aside from bad mouthing a company they maybe don't like for some unrelated reason, they should have shown what caused the malfunction.

My guess is the same as everyone elses, that it's an older model Serpa. With attitude the main talker in the movie had, it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentionally jammed.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

The holster used in the vid looks like the Sportster Serpa which is one of Blackhawks concealment line of holsters. The Sportster is only about half the cost of the CQCseries of Sepra concealment holsters. I would not compare the durability and reliability of the Sportster with the Duty and Tactical line.

Post imported post

why does it look like hes using a 92fs holster?...

Post imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
    why does it look like hes using a 92fs holster?...
    I think the question is why do you think it looks like a Beretta holster?

OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Can't believe another I love Serpa, I hate Serpa thread?

Doesn't anybody use the search function any more? :?

You don't like the Serpa - PM me and I'll give you a shipping address.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Can't believe another I love Serpa, I hate Serpa thread?

Doesn't anybody use the search function any more? :?

You don't like the Serpa - PM me and I'll give you a shipping address.

Yata hey
    +1 for serpa

Post imported post

I have a SERPA for my XD45 and I absolutely love it. I have tried 4 or 5 others holsters before I found the SERPA.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Post imported post

I'm calling ********....seems to me the tension screw was set too tight (on purpose?) ....so even if you depress the button, the friction (passive) lock is going to hold the gun in place.

...another SERPA hater, IMO.

Post imported post

Great. Now I want to buy another Serpa. I never had any problems with any of them. Now I need one for my Glock 21.

The idiots in the movie are trying to use force to take the firearm out? Whats wrong with them... What where they hoping? to break something else? Look at whats wrong with it and try to fix it rather then just pull on crap. They probably edited out the rest of the video because they found out it was user error.

Post imported post

i wasnt payin tomuch attention but thought the trigger guard went up high like on the 92 model oh well...

Post imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
    ...another SERPA hater, IMO.

For good reason. Instead of using emotion to judge a holster and defendinga poor purchasing decision, use some logic. There are very valid reasons whyLarry Vickers andKen Hackathorn won't endorse them, do a little research.

Post imported post

Used it in Iraq and Afghanistan...never failed me.....I used it at home before I took it downrange. If you look at the fools in the video (to keep it on topic)...they never checked the tension screw....thus, I believe it was a setup.

I've made my informed opinion.

But if someone (like the fools on the video) is going to review gear, they had better show WHY something isn't working. IMO, they set the tension screw too tight....no matter how many times you press the button....the gun ain't comin' out.

Know your gear....that should be the lesson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast