• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa Fail!

SIGguy229

imported post

I'm calling bullshit....seems to me the tension screw was set too tight (on purpose?) ....so even if you depress the button, the friction (passive) lock is going to hold the gun in place.

...another SERPA hater, IMO.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Great. Now I want to buy another Serpa. I never had any problems with any of them. Now I need one for my Glock 21.

The idiots in the movie are trying to use force to take the firearm out? Whats wrong with them... What where they hoping? to break something else? Look at whats wrong with it and try to fix it rather then just pull on crap. They probably edited out the rest of the video because they found out it was user error.

irish

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
...another SERPA hater, IMO.
For good reason. Instead of using emotion to judge a holster and defendinga poor purchasing decision, use some logic. There are very valid reasons whyLarry Vickers andKen Hackathorn won't endorse them, do a little research.

SIGguy229

imported post

Used it in Iraq and Afghanistan...never failed me.....I used it at home before I took it downrange. If you look at the fools in the video (to keep it on topic)...they never checked the tension screw....thus, I believe it was a setup.

I've made my informed opinion.

But if someone (like the fools on the video) is going to review gear, they had better show WHY something isn't working. IMO, they set the tension screw too tight....no matter how many times you press the button....the gun ain't comin' out.

Know your gear....that should be the lesson.

brokenbarrel

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
Used it in Iraq and Afghanistan...never failed me.....I used it at home before I took it downrange. If you look at the fools in the video (to keep it on topic)...they never checked the tension screw....thus, I believe it was a setup.

I've made my informed opinion.

But if someone (like the fools on the video) is going to review gear, they had better show WHY something isn't working. IMO, they set the tension screw too tight....no matter how many times you press the button....the gun ain't comin' out.

Know your gear....that should be the lesson.
upon further review i concur,as a matter of fact when i first tried one for a 92fs we had to loosen the tension screw to remove the weapon,a couple more ajustments and numerous draws it was deemed good to go by myself and about 10 others that were there with us.Mind you it was not my weapon it belonged to...any ways lets say it was disassembled and reassembled by a pro makeing this weapon and all the other 92's thereVERY reliable.I was temporarily issued one and fired the crap out of it.Reliable yes my style no...

Specter

imported post

Ive had a Serpa for my XD for a while and its worked wonderful. I recently got a Springfield 1911 GI and I had a similar problem at first. The 1911 wouldn't fit into the holster past about half way. If forced it would get stuck similar to the video. I loosened the tension screw and it was still to tight. Taking the screwout and the piece that the screw goes threw allowed the gun to fit but slightly loose.

MiGuy

imported post

Hi,
I am having a similar problem with my serpa right now, just got it last night for my Beretta Px4 Storm Compact. The issue is that I can push the gun in and hear it click but I need to use both of my hands (One to hold the holster and the other to pull on the gun) to drawn the gun from the holster. The passive retention screw is totally loose so that is a non issue.

The only thing I am thinking is either I got a lemon, or something is slightly different with a full size Beretta PX4.

I'm trying to contact BlackHawk now to see what can be done.

Thanks!
MiGuy

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MiGuy wrote:
Hi,
I am having a similar problem with my serpa right now, just got it last night for my Beretta Px4 Storm Compact. The issue is that I can push the gun in and hear it click but I need to use both of my hands (One to hold the holster and the other to pull on the gun) to drawn the gun from the holster. The passive retention screw is totally loose so that is a non issue.

The only thing I am thinking is either I got a lemon, or something is slightly different with a full size Beretta PX4.

I'm trying to contact BlackHawk now to see what can be done.

Thanks!
MiGuy
Welcome to OCDO MiGuy.

Let us know how Blackhawk responds - I've never had such a problem and even occasionally tighten the retention screw - all of my OC/CC are 1911's.

Yata hey

MiGuy

imported post

I sent them an email and they responded within the hour requesting I call when I get a chance. Their service was great. He confirmed that they contacted Beretta yesterday as this seems to be an issue with other PX4 compact owners. Beretta informed them that the compact version is slightly wider which is why it does not fit as well.

I decided I will be voiding my warrenty with the product and plan to file downa small area inside the holster to allow the part that is rubbing a bit more room. (the field strip pin) I am also going to take an inch off the bottom as well because the compact does not use the full length of the holster.

Hope that helps any other compact owners make a choice before purchasing. Call BlackHawk first and see if there have been any complaints regarding compacts for your model type fitting in these holsters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MiGuy wrote:
I sent them an email and they responded within the hour requesting I call when I get a chance. Their service was great. He confirmed that they contacted Beretta yesterday as this seems to be an issue with other PX4 compact owners. Beretta informed them that the compact version is slightly wider which is why it does not fit as well.

I decided I will be voiding my warrenty with the product and plan to file downa small area inside the holster to allow the part that is rubbing a bit more room. (the field strip pin) I am also going to take an inch off the bottom as well because the compact does not use the full length of the holster.

Hope that helps any other compact owners make a choice before purchasing. Call BlackHawk first and see if there have been any complaints regarding compacts for your model type fitting in these holsters.
Aaah soo - the problem is that the holster was designed to fit a different model - then Berretta changed the configuration on the compact version from the originial.

Good that you see a way to make it work. I've seen other applications where the Serpa was modified to fit a non-standard gun - the owners seemed pleased with the results too.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

I was about to buy one the other day for my 1911 but the guy at the gun shop suggested that I not. He only recommended them to people who were carrying service pistols or something a bit older. He said otherwise they will scratch your gun all to hell. I'm just not extremely into plastic anyways. Leather is just so much more comfortable and appealing to the eye.

marrero jeff

imported post

idk, it depends. If you are a "tacticool" guy like me, serpas and safarilands and blade techs, etc.... look really good. not to say i dont appreciate a fine leather rig though.

groovedrummer

imported post

richarcm wrote:
I was about to buy one the other day for my 1911 but the guy at the gun shop suggested that I not. He only recommended them to people who were carrying service pistols or something a bit older. He said otherwise they will scratch your gun all to hell. I'm just not extremely into plastic anyways. Leather is just so much more comfortable and appealing to the eye.

He wasn't lying to ya.

richarcm

imported post

ItTakesAWolf wrote:
richarcm wrote:

He wasn't lying to ya.
Yeah to lose a sale like that he must have felt pretty strongly against the SERPA.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

richarcm wrote:
ItTakesAWolf wrote:
richarcm wrote:
He wasn't lying to ya.
Yeah to lose a sale like that he must have felt pretty strongly against the SERPA.
Or maybe like a good salesman, he sold a more expensive one. :p

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
richarcm wrote:
ItTakesAWolf wrote:
richarcm wrote:
He wasn't lying to ya.

Yata hey
No. :)

It was the only holster that fit my gun. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
richarcm wrote:
ItTakesAWolf wrote:
richarcm wrote:
He wasn't lying to ya.

Yata hey
No. :)

It was the only holster that fit my gun. :p
What kind of a shop only has one holster to fit a 1911?

Unless it was one of those left handed 1911s.:?

Yata hey

open4years

imported post

I own 6-8 Serpas and they have worked as designed for me. The 'serpa' in the video looks nothing like mine. Do we even know that holster was meant for that pistol?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

open4years wrote:
I own 6-8 Serpas and they have worked as designed for me. The 'serpa' in the video looks nothing like mine. Do we even know that holster was meant for that pistol?
Nope, sure don't. IMO the entire video was a set up.

If you crank down tight on the retention screw, I'm told that you can duplicate the feat though. Seems like a good reminder to carry a bug in any event.

Yata hey