Thread: Landlord

Post imported post

I recently rented an apartment in the columbus area and they asked me to signa document that says I can not carry a handgun. Is this legal?

Post imported post

So are they talking about carrying within theapartment complex or within your own apartment?

State Researcher

Post imported post

It depends upon whether you have a concealed handgun license. If you have a CHL, Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.126(C)(3)(b) provides: "A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after the effective date of this amendment enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises."
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.

(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after the effective date of this amendment enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

(c) As used in division (C)(3) of this section:

(i) “Residential premises” has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except “residential premises” does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university.

(ii) “Landlord,” “tenant,” and “rental agreement” have the same meanings as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code.

Post imported post

Well, did you sign it? If you haven't signed it you can refuse, but that may well mean that you don't get to rent there. If you've signed it... idk.

Post imported post

Just MY opinion and IANAL, but I say sign it and don't say a word. Then, carry on. If it's not enforcable in the State's eyes, there's nothing the landlord can do.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

If you have already rented the apartment, seems to me a lawyer barred in Ohio and practicing this area of law can advise you of your rights and responsibilities in this area with some precision - lease holders are to some extent considered the temporary owners of property generally under property law so you might be pleasantly surprised.