Thread: Wall Street Journal - next generation of gun rights law suits under way

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/03/30/...-control-suits

By Vanessa O'Connell
    These are the offspring of Heller:

A woman contends her small stature makes her an appealing target for criminals but says she was turned down for a concealed-carry handgun permit by the Sacramento County sheriff.

A Californian man, born without an arm below the right elbow, argues that the state’s roster of “approved” handguns precludes him from being able to buy a left-handed Glock.

An American man who now lives in Canada would like to purchase guns in the U.S. to store at his relatives’ home in Mount Vernon, Ohio, to use for sporting and self-defense.

. . .

Tom G. Palmer, a gay man who once used a handgun to avoid gay-bashing. One of the original plaintiffs in Heller, Palmer is suing Washington, D.C., arguing that the city’s ban on carrying handguns in public is invalid under Heller.

“What we are saying is you can’t ban open-carry and concealed carry and leave people no option at all” for carrying guns, Gottlieb said.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Deleted -- no citations
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    This is especially relevant to Hawaii which also doesn't allow OC and won't issue permits for CC.
    We are tracking that if a person is issued a carry permit, the law allows for open or concealed carry - do you have cite to authority indicating otherwise?

Regular Member NewZealandAmerican's Avatar
    Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb of Provo in UTAH

Post imported post

I think Illinois might be one of the last states to stop unlawfully infringing on carry (open or concealed) period!
    (Dion Wood). MY FREEDOM PAGE[/COLOR] with valuable links to ALTERNATIVE MEDIA, Internet Radio shows and other sites to restore our FREEDOM & LIBERTYhttp://www.QRZ.com/db/KB9QFH TELEPHONE: +1(800)808-KIWI that's +1(800)808-5494 Tollfree. "NewZealander By Birth, American By The Grace Of God." See also http://www.facebook.com/NewZealandAmerican & http://RTR.org/NewZealandAmerican IN MEMORY OF OUR GOD, OUR RELIGION, AND FREEDOM, AND OUR PEACE, OUR WIVES, AND OUR CHILDREN" (The Title Of LIBERTY)

Post imported post

As each day goes back, I love Arizona more. Now if we can just finish up this constitutional carry bill...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

deleted

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    Mike,

I don't know if Hawai fits your "tracking" exactly -- I don't live there (yet) -- but your post (and that comment by Gottlieb) made me think of Hawaii as it's "may issue" (but does not issue) and it doesn't allow OC...so there is NO WAY the average person legally can carry in ANY form.
    That is not what we understand - we understand that the permit to carry allows both OC and CC - can you refute this?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

deleted

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    No OC allowed.
    Pls cite to authority (see rules).

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    cloudcroft wrote:
    No OC allowed.
    http://www.honolulupd.org/info/gun134-9.htm

Reference: HRS 134-9

No person shall carry concealed or unconcealed on the person a pistol or revolver without being licensed to do so under this section or compliance with section 134-5(c) or 134-6.

I think Cloudcroft was trying to point out that an unlicensed citizen cannot carry openly, and the process for getting a permit is difficult.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    A Californian man, born without an arm below the right elbow, argues that the state’s roster of “approved” handguns precludes him from being able to buy a left-handed Glock.
    Wouldn't this also qualify for a suit under the Disability Act? Basically, government is not treating all citizens equal under the law (14th Amendment anyone?). In this case, the government "approved" list discriminates against citizens with certain disabilities.

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    cloudcroft wrote:
    No OC allowed.
    http://www.honolulupd.org/info/gun134-9.htm

Reference: HRS 134-9

No person shall carry concealed or unconcealed on the person a pistol or revolver without being licensed to do so under this section or compliance with section 134-5(c) or 134-6.

I think Cloudcroft was trying to point out that an unlicensed citizen cannot carry openly, and the process for getting a permit is difficult.
    OK, that's what I thought - if you get the permit, you are exempted from the ban on both CC and OC.

Post imported post

What the heck is a "left-handed Glock"?

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    What the heck is a "left-handed Glock"?
    The journalist needed a name for a pistol that he couldn't buy, so he referred to his handy chart:

"If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

That chart is awesome!

Post imported post

Maybe I need to get a life but that is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time.

Post imported post

And I have a new background for my computer. That chart is sad but true.

Post imported post

Oh sweet. I think I drive a Glock.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Banned

Post imported post

NewZealandAmerican wrote:
    I think Illinois might be one of the last states to stop unlawfully infringing on carry (open or concealed) period!
    Any State which requires a permit to carry a loaded handgun infringes on the right to bear arms. Tennessee is one of these States. Until they allow open carry without fingerprinting, background checks, courses, and fees carry is not a right.

Banned

Post imported post

KYKevin wrote:
    Oh sweet. I think I drive a Glock.
    You can't drive a Glock. You drive AK's. :P

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    cloudcroft wrote:
    This is especially relevant to Hawaii which also doesn't allow OC and won't issue permits for CC.
    We are tracking that if a person is issued a carry permit, the law allows for open or concealed carry - do you have cite to authority indicating otherwise?
    Find someone with an HI Carry Permit.

Cited.

Note, the absence of anything.

It's a may issue State. They can revoke for no reason at all in the same way that they can simply refuse to issue for no reason at all.

You honestly don't think a few islands packed with Flaming Liberals would revoke for OC?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.