• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Become a resident of Florida

KennyPro

imported post

I just wanted to ask a question about my moving to Florida. I will be moving with a Virginia Resident Concealed Carry permit. If I understand correctly that is honored for 90 days once I register as a Florida resident. When I register to vote or in some other way become an official resident of Florida I will have that 90 days to get a resident concealed carry permit for Florida correct?. Do I have to go through the whole application process again or do they giveme a replacement Florida Carry permit when I turn in my Virginia carry permit??? That would be true reciprocity in my mind? I suspect that is not the case though and I will have to go through the whole applicationprocess again in Florida? What is the cost in Florida for the application?...Thanks; Ken ;)

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

You will have to apply for a license the same as any other first-time applicant. Go here for more information. Florida will accept the same proof of training you used in Virginia. The fee for all first-time applicants is $117. The license will be valid for 7 years. After that, the renewal fee for residents is $65 every 7 years.

If you can do so, I would suggest applying in person at a Division of Licensing regional office, which results in a significantly shorter processing time over applying by mail. Otherwise, at least have your fingerprints taken electronically, which will result ina shorterprocessing than for a hard card.

KennyPro

imported post

Wow that is steep..........only 40.00 in Virginia!!....Thank you for the answers!..........:cuss:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

At least you will have far greater reciprocity with other states. I forgot to add that depending on when you will be moving and whether doing so is a viable option for you, youmay apply now and then file a notice of address change (as well as apply for an optional duplicate permit showing your new address, which I would recommend) after moving. This would cover you in Georgia during your move.

JeepSeller

imported post

At the very least, find out what the lead time is for getting an appointment at the regional office, if one will be convenient to you. Some places are reporting a wait time of upwards of a month to get an appointment time. You don't have to be moved to make that appt. yet.

Even with longer wait times,a few have had some success with just dropping in and catching an open "slot".

Either by mail or in person at the office, the average wait time to recieve your license is running between 2 weeks and a month. More, if something comes up with your background check. If you go by mail, you'll have to provide your certificate of training, notorized app, passport size photo,and you'll need to get by your local Florida law enforcement office to have your fingerprints done. IF you go to the office in person, you'll only need your training proof and your checkbook. They handle everything there, including your app. However, it helps to go ahead and fill out the app at home and take with you to the office. It just ensures you have all the information you'll need to fill out the app handy.

Be safe and a pre-welcome to the Sunshine State!

M

McX

imported post

you guys don't accept my penn. non-res. maybe you'll take my wisconsin at a later date?