• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hi point cafe

M

McX

imported post

love my hi point .40 cal, brick that it is. slobber around all over the shop with it, when i go to the ground, it goes to the ground, dropped it twice- carry condition 3 -so no sweat there. oil the sucker with machine oil, and blow it off with compressed air. got the retention holster set to death grip, so i won't lose it no matter how i bend or crawl. never been fired, but donked off of more than a few objects as i move about. used to have an embarrassing habit of flipping it's mag. out at in opportune moments, but i trimmed down the release stub more to contour to the grip, and put an end to that. i wonder if there are any improvements you get can online just for this brand. noticed today when i was handling her a bit, the index finger side of my hand comes damn near right up to the slide, anyone out there note this? get any road rash in that area when firing? i wonder how many flavors (calibers) they come in, and who's got what, likes, and dislikes. i hear the gun has a lifetime warranty. like i said, love the machine; nice big juicy handgrip, bet there's damn no recoil. thought about 9 mm, but went .40 cause i want a real smacker! your turn:

M

McX

imported post

well, i'm saving it for it's crucial moment. if it doesn't work, and i live, i'll want my money back. the machine is for self defense, that's all. oh, and the deterrent effect. i've shot enough in my life, so it doesn't do much for me anymore, but i do have confidence the gun will work, it seems to be well built, although getting used to the 'plastic' idea is a bit for me, never had a composite gun before. it probably helps it out in taking the daily beating, no nicks, or scratches even with daily wear. i love alot of guns i never shot.

M

McX

imported post

dang 1245, if it upsets you that bad, stop by, and i'll have you take my beloved down to the range, and put her through her paces, and you can let me know if it gets your approval. besides, chances are good she'll do her job; flick your lighter, and chances are it will flame, turn the key on your car, and chances are it will start, think positive man!

1245A Defender

imported post

OK OK!! i understand! i had read about you gun twice before i realized you were bragging up a highpoint that you still haddent tested!

BTW ive read about highpoints lots a times,, and they have a very good reputation for being reliable, and accurate! so im not puttin them down,,, although the joke is that if all else fails, you can beat someone to death with it! but then i could probably beat a guy to death with my raven 25 auto! if i could get him to hold still!

ive got 3 star modelo supers, a walther P-38, and an AK-47 that i still havent shot my self
so im really not digging you for not shooting yet.

kinda funny that the raven is the original saturday night special, but the construction and design of the highpoint is very similar.

another funny,, ive got two cars on the road right now,, the starter is out of one of them, and the solinoid is acting up in the other. and im using my backup lighter cause my good one is outa flint!

lets go shooting this week end,, ive got some guns to test,, oh shoot, i cant come, cause its 1800 mi. and my van has an alignment problem!

go test your highpoiint,, and let me know how the recoil is!!

M

McX

imported post

10-4 guy. i know it may seem odd, but that's just the way i go. if you extrapolate it out, you can fire a gun 1000 times, but then you never know if the next round may be a dud. not the gun's fault, just a variable. i agree too, big as it is it would make a fine head smacker, if the choice came to smack, or defend. i just like the gun cause it's big, solid, with the heavy slide i bet recoil isn't an issue, the warranty impresses me- you know these days nobody warranties anything. i got a few of em, one went to the oldest boy, one is my shop gun, one is my home gun. my oldest will proably want to blast away with his, home gun is unfired too.
i hear ya on the auto troubles, mine are in and out of consciousness too right now. crying; spend money on me!
yeah, i'm like you, got the ak cause everyone has one, haven't fired it either, wanted to hang it on the wall, beautiful killing machine that it is, but my wife said no. so sometimes i'll creep to the vault, and look at it. it's for lookin at. though once i croak, my kids will be all over my stuff, my guns included.
plus, if i ever have to use deadly force, and they haul me before the da, i can honestly say; i have no intention toward anyone, i don't shoot, haven't even shot the gun i carry, i am not an agressor, only a defender in the purest form.
but yeah, when the moment comes, if it ever does, i'll get back to ya, and let ya know if i'm alive, and if the machine did it's job!
so let's yak about our hi points here? anyone else?

scorpio_vette

imported post

i'll make you a deal MCX.......one of these saturdays, i'll come down to visit with my bike, and we'll take your gun to the range, and I'll do the firing. specially since i've been considering getting a hi-point myself.

cscitney87

imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/37718.html

Posted: Sat Feb 6th, 2010 01:41 pm Edit QuoteReply Hey everyone. I just got back from the range so I'll give a few words on my new pistol. For a little background- I'm a small guy, 5' 10" 140 On a Good day. I have small hands. Sweaty palms when I shoot too.. Okay so from a physical standpoint that's where I am against the .40SW. Used Remington rounds in the green and white box- standard ball ammo. I have American Eagle from Federal but did Not try those today.

Short and sweet-

It's a sweet gun. It's not a "great pistol" because I've only fired 3 total different pistols in my life so I don't know what's great and what isn't. I know it's a good gun though. I like it. Easy to keep the bullets on target during successive firing. That's due to the counter weights I suppose and the full size frame/slide- which BTW is a great fill for my little hands. Feels good in the palms. The magazine release doesn't get in the way- like my Taurus does. I do think the safety switch feels just a tiny bit dinky, but not bad. The ghost ring circle rear site is awesome but I need to calibrate it over the course of hundreds of rounds. The plastic grip sweats up and slides alot unless I wipe off my hands on my shirt between clips. Speaking of clips...

It's true I had a jam- This is why-

Pistol says load 10 rounds in the magazine. First of all- the 10th round is ridiculously hard to jam into the magazine, but possible. Second- well.. the pistol jammed every single time- on the 2nd round- when 10 are loaded.

Anything 9 rounds or less in the magazine produces PERFECT results. Every time. I love it.

Bottom line- I'm super happy with the purchase and I'll only be loading 9+1 until I
1) break in the pistol 2) try different brands of ammo.

I'm actually going back to the range today, March 31st, to put another 50 or 100 rounds through. 50 if I have no issues- 100 if I have issues because I will try two different brands of FMJ ball ammo.

And I was just thinking last night how much I DON'T hate the look of the pistol. I actually really appreciate it's "All business" look, even; those super cheap looking painted on plastic sights. I actually like those.

I've had 9 rounds in the magazine for a month straight- to loosen the spring inside the magazine- so I'm going out on a limb to say things will go smoother this time with the looser magazine spring.

I was just posting, in another thread, that the C-9 Comp looks fun to shoot and I wouldn't mind owning one. It was then said that the comp isn't doing a whole lot for the recoil anyway; as the recoil is very light to begin with.

Anyone know the future of Hi Point handguns? Next model?

Anyone use the carbines? I hear great things and they sell very well.

Decoligny

imported post

Each and every gun is different. Each has a distinct feel to them when they are fired.

Practice makes perfect. If you haven't practiced firing your weapon, how do you know you will be proficient in it's use if you ever have to fire your weapon?

Hi-Point is a blow back firearm. One of the idiosyncrocies of a blow back firearm is the possibility of a jam due to limp wristing the weapon.

This happened to me when I first got my Hi-Point C9. It took a little bit of practice to overcome this and learn the correct grip on the firearm. Do you know whether or not you will naturally limp wrist the .40? Do you know if you will need to correct your gripto compensate? No, you don't. Not until you fire it.

cscitney87

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Each and every gun is different. Each has a distinct feel to them when they are fired.

Practice makes perfect. If you haven't practiced firing your weapon, how do you know you will be proficient in it's use if you ever have to fire your weapon?

Hi-Point is a blow back firearm. One of the idiosyncrocies of a blow back firearm is the possibility of a jam due to limp wristing the weapon.

This happened to me when I first got my Hi-Point C9. It took a little bit of practice to overcome this and learn the correct grip on the firearm. Do you know whether or not you will naturally limp wrist the .40? Do you know if you will need to correct your gripto compensate? No, you don't. Not until you fire it.
Speaking as a "small build" guy, very light weight, not to tall, very small hands...

Before and after shooting my Hi Point, limp wrist jams are technically able to happen; but there was no practical implication with this firearm. The grip is so large that it's nearly impossible not to have a death lock on it. I'm not going to lie, the grip is actually ergonomically designed well; the hand naturally rests in the correct shooting position.

My first time was a breeeeze. The slide makes a pretty catchy snap; it's rather addicting. It's not at all going to feel like the pistol will "fly out of your hand(s)" because of the sheer weight of the entire unit. It's solid.

*My experience based on the .40SW round and model.

cscitney87

imported post

Just got home from the range.

Purchased 100 .45ACP rounds, put 50 through my Taurus and only had one hiccup- a double ejection; happened once and I Had to re-cock the pistol. Smooth shooting; but I really do need some more practice with the .45 in such a compact frame and barrel.

My Hi Point .40 also had 50 more rounds through it today;

I still have an issue with the 2nd round when loading full 10 rounds. Every time, if I have 10 in the mag and fire; the pistol jams on the 2nd round ending up sideways in the chamber.

I load 9; the pistol performs perfectly every time. Not a single jam or issue at all.
I was keeping 9 rounds in the mag to loosen the spring; Going to load up all 10 rounds to try and loosen now; but the issue is if I need my pistol for self defense; I might have the 10 round issue. That's why I only kept 9 in the mag to loosen the spring before; so it was still very reliable to pickup and shoot.
So for now; 10 in my Hi Point until the magazine spring loosens up. I'll just hope, extra hard, I won't have to use it for self defense until I know the spring is loosened in that magazine.

cscitney87

imported post

Strangest thing that's happened to me.

So I loaded 6 rounds. I fired through 2 rounds normally. The second round ejected normally and the Third round also fully ejected. The pistol did Not jam; but the chamber was empty; and I needed to re-cock the pistol to load the Fourth round. Fired through the Fourth, and Fifth and Sixth. Never happened again.

M

McX

imported post

great discussions and info guys! i'm learning from you! grateful to all of you for your participation!:dude:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
The second round ejected normally and the Third round also fully ejected. The pistol did Not jam; but the chamber was empty; and I needed to re-cock the pistol to load the Fourth round.
Sounds like a failure to feed. The bullet hits the feed ramp and bounces to too much of an angle to feed and the bolt pushes it out of the ejection port.

My ex-OL's Kel-Tec did that before its fluff-and-buff.

M

McX

imported post

more data doug, define fluff and buff :) . i saw a bitchin avitar on here, some autoloader, blowing flames up, out of the top of the gun, near the barell end. any good doing that to the hi point?
now you guys got me actually paying attention to my beloved. cleaned the mag today, what's with the waffle end? i've seen extenders for .45's that were smooth, looked rather sexy to me. wonder if i can cut that plastic off the end, and the gun will survive? then again it's a bumper right? waffle end is tough to clean, comressed air time. i'll let ya know.
any grip variants available you guys heard of? now i gotta go back and read what everybody posted!:cool:

scorpio_vette

imported post

anything that's not flat is easy to clean with a toothbrush. i probably have more toothbrushes with all my various cleaning products throughout the house than any other household or cleaning products. LOL

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Fluff and buff http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks10.htm

Waffles are often to increase stiffness (section density) without a large increase in mass.

Compensating ports are supposed to help with muzzle flip. They're holes etched in the muzzle end of the barrel - with matching holes in the slide/shroud - to act like little reaction motors.

Over the years my ultrasonic sinks have gotten bigger with each purchase. I am without at the moment, having burned up another too small one. I use them primarily to clean bicycle chain (more than $100 now) and I've got a bunch.

M

McX

imported post

say, i was wondering, i got the 'standard' wolf brand (i think) ammo, and was thinking; back in the day i had a .357 mag. smith model 19. i used to get hot loads, so strong i would have to tighten the screws back on the gun after shooting it awhile. is there any hot loads in .40 cal I could investigate, and invest in?

cscitney87

imported post

McX wrote:
say, i was wondering, i got the 'standard' wolf brand (i think) ammo, and was thinking; back in the day i had a .357 mag. smith model 19. i used to get hot loads, so strong i would have to tighten the screws back on the gun after shooting it awhile. is there any hot loads in .40 cal I could investigate, and invest in?
*Note Hi Point firearms in .40S&W are +P rated for all factory ammunition.

(As such; In the Hi Point I would NOT use a +P+ round or any round that is "so strong i would have to tighten the screws back on the gun after shooting it awhile")