• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

voice recorder

22-250

imported post

I found one that looks like a USB memory stick, I'm thinking put a lanyard on it and hang it around my neck, I don't think anyone would even notice.

Any opinions?

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

22-250 wrote:
It dosent say anything about recording, or did i miss it, Is it quick to turn on?
That's probably one of it's downfalls. It turns on in about 3 seconds, then you have to hold the record button for about 3 seconds. But - It will easily record for 10+ hours, so you can turn it on before you go.

22-250

imported post

I'm thinking about this , and OC so an idea popped into my head. I could hang my NAA Mini around my neck and people would probably think its fake...lol

Edit to ad: Or the belt buckle and clip it on it... who would think its real if you did not know what it was.. :lol:

ghostrider

imported post

Do as you wish, but understand that LE does monitor these forums, and they have also been known to turn off any audio recording devices they've discovered while "investigating" OC'ers to "see if they are legal. "

It is sometimes recommended (when these topics do come up) that the posters keep the info and resources to PM so as not to alert anyone who might have a reason to stop any such recording of a potential encounter.

Thanks for the info though.

22-250

imported post

As long as your not breaking the law I don't see a problem, when you start sneaking around is when trouble can start.

I do believe I read that recording in public is leagel in this state, if an LEO object's I would think they have something to hide..

22-250

imported post

Right. But can they do that, and if they try what could we do? Call 911 and request another cop? If they won't allow the legal recording of the event then that shows bad intentions, what can we do about it?

ghostrider

imported post

T Vance wrote:
22-250 wrote:
As long as your not breaking the law I don't see a problem, when you start sneaking around is when trouble can start.

I do believe I read that recording in public is leagel in this state, if an LEO object's I would think they have something to hide..
It's not a matter of you breaking the law, it's a matter of an LEO possibly breaking the law, and in order to cover his/her a$$ they could find and turn off your recording device.
Well, If you don't "see a problem", then be sure to notify the officer that you are recording the unlawful detainment and harassment of you, and don't forget to point out to him where the device is, and to also show him how to turn it off.

22-250 wrote:
Right. But can they do that, and if they try what could we do? Call 911 and request another cop? If they won't allow the legal recording of the event then that shows bad intentions, what can we do about it?

22-250 wrote:
Right. But can they do that
Of course they can. They can do anything they want to.

22-250 wrote:
...and if they try what could we do?
Hope and pray that they don't do worse, while wishing that they didn't know about the recording device in the first place.

22-250 wrote:
and if they try what could we do? Call 911 and request another cop?
How you handle things is up to you. However, if you do do this, be sure to let us know how it goes.

22-250 wrote:
If they won't allow the legal recording of the event then that shows bad intentions,...
Ya think?

22-250 wrote:
...what can we do about it?
Stop posting about any recording devices, and hope they don't see it in time to turn it off.

fozzy71

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
I had the same thought, which is why I purchased this device.
http://www.testfreaks.com/mediaplayers/samsung-yp-f1/

I found one on ebay for $21 with free shipping. I wore it earlier on my walk, hanging from the lanyard, under my shirt. Even under the shirt the sound quality is adequate and a 30 minute file was only 7mb. Running another test now to see how long the battery will last if I start the recorder and leave it be.