• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie OC holster limitations?.....

STOGIE

imported post

I have a leather IWB holster that I absolutely love and wear every day... It almost completely conceals my weapon... The grip, and the very end of the slide are exposed. Its extremely comfortable, has very good retention of my weapon, and is very easy to draw and reholster... But now that the weather in Michigan is getting warmer, there are times of the day where I just want to take my jacket/sweatshirt/concealment garmentoff because it gets too warm... I'm still learning the Laws & Regulations of Open Carry so I'm not completely comfortable doing so quite yet...

Now, here is where my question plays out... I do have the idea that OC is "all or none"... its either ALL OC or ALL CC... (sohave I just answered my own question here?) but while I searched this topic, I noticed Photos of people who claim to OC with a IWB holster... I don't believe everything I read, see, or hear on the internet... LOL

Can one legally Open Carry with an IWB holster or do I need to go back to my old holster to expose 100% of the firearm and have to deal with a longer concealment garment to completely cover for CC?

Thanks!

autosurgeon

imported post

With a CPL you can carry anywhere other than the PFZ's however floats your canoe!

However in order to OC in the PFZ's under the authorization of your CPL you need to carry completely open!!!

Personally I carry completely open whenever I get the chance as it is way more comfy and I am way faster on the draw that way.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

as of late I have been ocing with an iwb.

if you have a cpl it is absolutely legal, however I have heard it is a grey area when you do not have a cpl.

G

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:

if you have a cpl it is absolutely legal, however I have heard it is a grey area when you do not have a cpl.
And it could be problematic to OC with an IWB holster in a PFZ with a CPL.

(That means that you might get in trouble.)

[line]
Watch for the UFO.

DanM

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:

It's also a grey area, even with a CPL,to carry IWBin a"pistol-free zone" for concealed carry.

Unless you want to be a test case to clear up the gray area, do notcarry IWB without a CPL, orif you have a CPL do not carry IWB into a concealed carry "pistol-free zone".

Bottom line: carryin an OWB holster that is completely uncovered and visible if you wantmaximum carry freedom, whether you havea CPL or not.

STOGIE

imported post

DanM wrote:
Bottom line: carryin an OWB holster that is completely uncovered and visible if you wantmaximum carry freedom, whether you havea CPL or not.

That's what I was thinking... but damn, I leave the house in the morning and its pretty cool... it warms up while I'm runnin around during the day and It gets hot wearing a jacket& don't want to have to keep wearing my jacket...

Its one of those things that I'm just gonna have to deal with... or add another holster to my collection! uugh! LOL

Thanks for the info!

STOGIE

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
im not understanding how an IWB holster could still expose the end of the slide???
a picture is worth a thousand words!
at least try some more to explain yourself!

My IWB holster sits really low in my waist band... The holster is canted a little bit more thanthe "FBI style cant" but less than the behind the back holster style cant...Its an XD .40 service model. The grip, the end of the magazine,and the end of the slide is exposed, the part just above the grip safety, not the muzzle end.... It sits just high enough out of my pant's waist linefor me to grab the grip and pull the pistol from the holster... My camera is on the fritz, I'll try to get some pics but I can't promise anything....

1245A Defender

imported post

im understanding the situation now,,, i get confused about what end of the slide we were talking about!
i think most judges would rule that, if uncovered then you are carrying OC!
but their are lotsa cops that will claim that your IWB holster is CC!
its pretty grey, and a pile of trouble to OC in a IWB!
try putting the IWB outside the pants and inside the belt, that just might work!!

STOGIE

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
I just put the IWB between my belt and pants. That way the holster is completely visable.

thats a good idea!...

I also remembered that my holster is a "dual purpose" holster, meaning that it can be used as an IWB and an OWB.... all I need to do is reverse the clips and I should be golden!

Thanks for the answers and the help!

---STOGIE---

.....o~`o

Michigander

imported post

Between the pants and belt will work, but IWB holsters are woefully lacking when it comes to retention for OC purposes. :uhoh:

STOGIE

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Between the pants and belt will work, but IWB holsters are woefully lacking when it comes to retention for OC purposes. :uhoh:

I'm Short & Fat.... so my bodyhas a retention device already built in my side and just above the weapon.....the tighter I pull my belt the bigger & better retention I obtain!... LOL

:lol: