• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry delayed – Preemption passes

azcdlfred

imported post

SB 1108, the Senate version of the AzCDL-requested Constitutional Carry bill, was scheduled for a vote in the House Third Read on March 30th, but because a Special Session had been called by the Governor, they didn’t have the time to work through all the bills. SB 1108 will be rescheduled, hopefully for Third Read on March 31st. On the plus side, that gives you more time to urge your Representatives to vote for the passage of SB 1108. AzCDL’s Action Center letter has been updated to reflect the upcoming vote. The House Third Read is the final vote in the Legislature that will determine whether Constitutional Carry will be sent to the Governor. If you have not sent your letter to your Representatives, please do not delay any longer.

Now for some really good news! HB 2543, the Firearms Preemption bill, passed the Senate Third Read on March 30th by a vote of 20-9 with one Senator not voting. This was the final vote for this bill in the Legislature. None of this would have been possible without YOUR involvement. HB 2543 strengthens state firearms preemption laws, adds firearms storage and accessories to the list of things political subdivisions cannot regulate, and removes the prohibition on carrying a firearm in public parks without a concealed weapons (CCW) permit. HB 2543 has been sent back to the House and from there will be forwarded to the Governor for her consideration. A letter to the Governor, urging her to sign HB 2543, has been prepared and is waiting for you at AzCDL’s Action Center.

Here’s some more good news! HB 2307, the Firearms Freedom Act, which passed out of the Senate Third Read on March 29th by a 22-8 vote, was sent to the Governor on March 30th. A letter to the Governor, urging her to sign HB 2307, has been prepared and is waiting for you at AzCDL’s Action Center.

The Governor has 5 days (not counting Sunday) to make a determination on the fate of any bill sent to her desk. She can sign it, let it pass without her signature, or veto it. Any bill she does not veto will become law 90 days after “Sine Die,” the official adjournment of the Legislature.

Dahwg

imported post

Letters sent. Two down one to go... next up campus carry?
Oh what happened to the bill that would drop the requirement for the weapon to be unloaded on school grounds? That requirement is a ND waiting to happen!

azcdlfred

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Oh what happened to the bill that would drop the requirement for the weapon to be unloaded on school grounds? That requirement is a ND waiting to happen!
Not this session, but it's high on our to-do list. There are just so many miracles we can perform and one given time.

:dude:

AZkopper

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
Not this session, but it's high on our to-do list. There are just so many miracles we can perform and one given time.

:dude:

Oh, come on!! Constitutional Carry, Firearms Freedom Act, AND extended preemption? Only three miracles? Back in my day, when we walked uphill to school in the snow (both ways, mind you), we'd get FOUR miracles!

Nah, it's all appreciated, and I looked forward to seeing what else you (and all of us) can do next session.

TylerEMT

imported post

I just dont understand why you get to be an adult at 18, have all of the responsibilities of an adult, but don't have all of the same rights as an adult until you're 21. Who picked 21 as the age be able to CC?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

TylerEMT wrote:
I just dont understand why you get to be an adult at 18, have all of the responsibilities of an adult, but don't have all of the same rights as an adult until you're 21. Who picked 21 as the age be able to CC?
A whole bunch'a people over 30. :lol:

TOF

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
TylerEMT wrote:
A whole bunch'a people over 30. :lol:
When you get to be President write a Presidential Proclamation and change it. :?

azcdlfred

imported post

TylerEMT wrote:

Sadly, you can thank your parents, grandparents and peers for that mentaility. Immaturity is now rampant and society sees people as children until they are close to 30. Even the 0bamacare bill talks about children up to age 26. And, I believe there are a lot of 40-somethings still living at home. I'm also beginning to wonder if all young males now sit down to pee.

Flame away :lol:

Fred

DustoneGT

imported post

It's an increasing trend, and it goes hand in hand with government paternalism. They want us all to be obedient children from birth to death.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Hey Fred, you're right. I think there is a hell of a lot of immaturity running around these days, and, sadly, it's not confined to the under-18 group.

So many 'adults' want to live off the government. They won't work hard to support themselves. The majority of the population won't think for themselves, which, in my opinion, is the highest form of immaturity.

Most European countries either have no drinking age, or have a very low drinking age. The alcoholism rate in those countries is staggeringly lower than it is in the US. The reason we have a serious drug and alcohol problem here is because it is incredibly stigmatized. Many French families let their children have a glass of wine with dinner. In America? No... you have to be 21. The magic number. The point is, there is no magic damn age. It's through responsible, intelligent teaching that our children will know how to cope with the world and live successfuly.

I think another problem with our men today is the current age of sensitivity. Sure, people need to be sensitive. But we don't have to get neutered to do it.I see too many men today who are 'sensitive' yet have no backbone. Be a man. I'd rather go back to the 50's and the age of 'strong, dark, and silent' then deal with this pansified crap. My dad is a perfect example of a 'man'. He's almost 70 now, and he still cuts wood for the winter. He still takes care of the horses. He shovels snow. He still works full -time, and he already retired once! He used to smoke 2 packs a day, and when he married my mom, he quit cold-turkey. He used to drink fairly heavily, and when my first brother was born, he stopped. In the last 42 years he's probably only had a twelve-pack. I have never heard my dad complain about anything in my entire life. If it has to be done, he does it.

My father is a man's man. If only men today could be less emotion, and more balls.

Maybe that would up our country's responsibility level, eh?

TylerEMT

imported post

Alamo Jack wrote:
Hey Fred, you're right. I think there is a hell of a lot of immaturity running around these days, and, sadly, it's not confined to the under-18 group.

So many 'adults' want to live off the government. They won't work hard to support themselves. The majority of the population won't think for themselves, which, in my opinion, is the highest form of immaturity.
I'm nineteen years old, work in a busy ER doing things many people wouldn't dream of. I've done CPR for hours just to watch people die, I've seen little girls who were raped by theirfamily.I live by myself, I make way more money than the average nineteen year old. I'm one of the more reponsiable people I know... But unfortunatly laws and rules have to apeal to the lowest denominator. So I fit into the same class as the 19 year olds who live at home and don't know how to do their own laundery, but go out and drink, get picked up by the cops, taken to the ER and feel they have a RIGHT to take advantage of my time for every stupid thing.

AZkopper

imported post

Any word on when HB2347 (SB1108 Strike Everything) [Constitutional Carry] might get a final floor vote? AZCDL has no info, nor could I find anyting at AZLeg.