• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell notes open carry already legal in Virginia restaurants

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/state_regional/govtpolitics/article/gov._bob_mcdonnell_to_seek_changes_to_budget/89994

SNIP

In the midst of the hour-long radio show, the governor also said that he will sign a bill that allows people who have concealed weapons permits to carry their guns into restaurants and bars as long as they are not drinking. A person carrying a weapon would not be required to alert restaurant personnel that he was carrying the gun.

“I’ll sign that bill,“ he said. “I don’t think there’s a good reason to not allow people to carry their firearms into restaurants. The ironic part is you can do it right now if you have open carry, you just can’t do it concealed.

“That doesn’t really make any sense to me,“ he said, noting that a private restaurant can have a no-weapons policy.

TFred

imported post

By the way, it's impossible to overstate the sense of relief to finally have a governor in office who speaks intelligently about important bills, and not the gibberish spoken by his predecessor to "excuse" his veto.

TFred

vt800c

imported post

TFred wrote:
... impossible to overstate the sense of relief to finally have a governor in office who speaks intelligently about important bills...
or other elected officals (name ommited here, but you know his 'logo')

The Donkey

imported post

vt800c wrote:
TFred wrote:
... impossible to overstate the sense of relief to finally have a governor in office who speaks intelligently about important bills...

Logo: the donkey?! If it weren't for some "DemonRatz" this bill would never have made it through the Senate and to the Governors desk.

At least McDonnell does seem to "get it" on this, however inarticulately.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm still not understanding the logic of "Alcohol Carry" bans.

If the reason for it is fear of a gun carrier getting drunk and acting poorly with his firearm; wouldn't you WANT the gun visible, so the bartender/server can actually tell who has one?

Not that it makes sense even under that guise... I know plenty of drunks I'd trust with a firearm before any so-called 'highly trained' Cop. But no one bats an eye when Cops go crazy, display incredible ineptitude, bad judgment, etc...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
vt800c wrote:
TFred wrote:

Logo: the donkey?! If it weren't for some "DemonRatz" this bill would never have made it through the Senate and to the Governors desk.

At least McDonnell does seem to "get it" on this, however inarticulately.
Which party do we get to blame for not having this law last year, glove box carry 2 years ago, or having to wait until next year for another shot at repealing OGAM?