• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW questions

greengum

imported post

I am going to get my out of state CCW permit this week and had a couple questions. I know some of you conceal. I will continue to OC but I would like to CC while playing poker. Sometimes I do carry a lot of cash on me and I want to protect myself when I leave.

Anyways I had a couple questions regarding State residence. I still live part time in Kalifornia and I make sure that I do not reside in Clark County for more then 59 straight days. For reasons that are to many to post here I continue to use my Kalifornia drivers license.

When I tried to get my blue card at the Henderson police station I was informed that I needed a Nevada DL to "prove" residency and I would not be issued a blue card. My questions are about residency. If I obtain an out of state CCW then later become a resident do I need to re-qualify and pay more fee's? Also dose one need to prove residency to purchase a gun in Nevada by a Nevada drivers license? Are there alternative ways like showing bills and bank accounts in my name? Also how could I obtain a blue card if I purchase a firearm if I cannot get a blue card according to Henderson police? I recall awhile back that I had called a gun shop and they said that they did have alternate ways to show residency other then a DL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

If you are a resident of Nevada, you must have a Nevada concealed firearm permit to carry concealed. http://leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3688

2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:
(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and
(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.

You must be in Clark County for sixty days before registration is necessary.

jfrey123

imported post

If you're main residency is California, you have no legal option to purchase a handgun in Nevada (without shipping it to CA FFL first). You say "part time California", but you maintain a CA license and keep moving in and out of the state. Since you choose to maintain that CA residency over NV, that is your "benefit" so reap what you sew.

For blue cards, since you're not staying in Klark Kounty for any period over 60 days, you are not subject to registration and therefore there is no blue card. Again, why register your guns in NV if you're a CA resident?

For your CCW requalifications, it depends where your out of state CCW comes from. If you get an out of state NV permit (not sure if they exist), you might have to. If you get a permit from some other state that NV recognizes then you should only need to change address with them. Felid hit the nail on the head, if you become a NV resident (which you are not now) then you need a NV CCW to be legal.

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

Get a non resident NV state CCW. Keep your CA residency. Don't have to register/get blue card to conceal with your valid nonres NV CCW while in NV.

Major thing you want to be careful of, you said "out of state ccw"...I think you meant non resident NV state CCW. I'm pretty sure NV doesn't recognize any other states CCW, so you can get as many elsewhere and they won't let you conceal here. That's the whole reciprocity change that happened last year that pissed a buncha Utah people off =P

To purchase...think you'd have to ship to CA.

My 2 cents.

jfrey123

imported post

Lostlittlerobot wrote:
Major thing you want to be careful of, you said "out of state ccw"...I think you meant non resident NV state CCW. I'm pretty sure NV doesn't recognize any other states CCW, so you can get as many elsewhere and they won't let you conceal here. That's the whole reciprocity change that happened last year that pissed a buncha Utah people off =P

[align=left]Permits/LicensesNV State Honors:[/align]

[align=left]Alaska Arkansas Kansas Louisiana Michigan[/align]
Missouri Nebraska Ohio Tennessee West Virginia

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf

gmijackso

imported post

I believe some of those states only offer resident only permits however. Michigan I believe is one of them. That means, that unless you live in MI, you're not going to get the MI permit that NV would recognize.

Judge.410

imported post

While still living in Oregon, I obtained an NV CCW here in Washoe Co.....no problems. I still have my CCW from Oregon as no one honors OR. and OR. Honors on one....however they do issue to residents of states that border OR. I now live in Reno and have to keep up my NV. and OR. permits....double the money to stay legal! Not very happy but until national resiprosity goes through (I hope ) thats the way it is. You can buy long guns with out of state drivers license in NV. but no hand guns. THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Having to have a CCW is an INFRINGEMENT. I hope that helps a little. I travel back and forth a lot ....Idaho is good