• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arlington Open Carry April Meetup

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
@Regular Joe -- I actually do think guns are dangerous and personally would not open carry a firearm in a holster *without* a retention device. But, to each his (or her) own.

AOC is not an ad-hoc OCDO "Open Carry Lunch." It's an open carry advocacy group. The mission of the group is to:

*Test how the law is enforced by the Arlington County police -- to ensure that the rights of Arlington gun owners are not being infringed.

*Provide a venue for members to practice exercising their rights -- to the fullest extent of the law.

*Educate the police about the rights of citizens during OC stops; and,

*Normalize the open carry of firearms by private citizens -- with aim of changing the view that only criminals and police carry guns

@Tess: One of the reasons for the basic firearm safety policy for AOC gatherings is to protect me from liability. AOC is a Meetup group, not an incorporated entity (as you point out). This exposes me to *more* liability as the organizer of the group, since incorporation *limits* liability.

I think all the consternation about "rules" and "groups" and "joining" are because AOC is obviously not what most people do on OCDO. It's more intentional and more assertive than the usual "we just get together as gun owners open carrying in the normal course of our lives whenever somebody feels like organizing a gathering" approach. I don't have a problem with that approach. I just don't want to take it. Hence, Arlington Open Carry.

So, if AOC isn't what you're looking for, no problem. You can keep doing what you've been doing, and more power to you. If you want to try something different, you can join AOC here (and it's a Meetup group, so yes, you have to "join" to get on the email list):

http://www.meetup.com/Arlington-Open-Carry/
I would hope they are dangerous, otherwise what's the sense of carrying them for protection? I want mine to be as dangerous as possible.

My carry guns reside in a holster which has neither a retention strap nor a Spera-like retaining device. They are retention in that the pistol must be pulled straight up and not at any angle in order to remove it. This is what I have trained with and this is what works for me.

We congratulate you and your fellow members for forming a group whose purpose is to advance and make known to the public at large and to our employees (police, etc.) that the carrying of a defensive sidearm is a normal and natural American behavior. But we are just a little concerned about some of the policies stated here. Tess and Nightmare spoke well of these concerns.

Carrying around Arlington County Police or Arlington residents should not be sugarcoated. This by no means is to say the OC'ers should get in their face (God knows, I would really hate to see that). But it IS our right and its time is here to let these folks know we are Virginians first and we value what is our birth right.

We do wish you well and hope your efforts are met with success and good exposure. Do let us know how things progress.

RPW

imported post

I can actually walk to Uncle Julios from my house and have open carried there before, no problems.But I have to agree with Tess, SouthernBoy and Nightmare. It seems an odd justaposition that you would want to walk around with cameras and mics taunting LEOs, but only so long as you had a safety strap. Normalization is an important reason why I OC; it shouldn't be burdened by made-up or unnecessary rules.

nova

imported post

RPW wrote:
Normalization is an important reason why I OC; it shouldn't be burdened by made-up or unnecessary rules.
or by taunting LEOs looking for a negative reaction.

Marco

imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
I put together a firearms safety policy to cover all our meetings (see below). It's just two major rules: One, firearms must not be handled, and must remain in holsters at all times during our meetings, and; Two, all openly carried firearms must be carried in a holster with at least one level of retention (i.e. thumb break, or mechanical locking device such as on Blackhawk Serpa and Safariland ALS holsters). Both rules are to ensure we don't have any safety mishaps during our meetings. If you don't have a holster with at least one level of retention and won't be able to get one by our first meeting on Sat., April 24 at Uncle Julio's Rio Grand Cafe in Ballston, don't OC, but come anyway. Don't CC either since it's illegal (for now) at Virginia restaurants that serve alcohol. If you have any questions about holsters or anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Ben

--
Arlington OC Firearms Safety Policy

Safety mishaps, particularly with firearms, expose Arlington OC to liability issues and could significantly damage our credibility as a gun rights and educational organization. At all non-range Arlington OC events and meetings, the following rules and requirements shall be strictly observed:

A. Firearms

At all Arlington OC meetings, events, or gatherings, firearms shall NOT be handled; they will remain holstered at all times.

B. Retention Holsters

A retention holster with at least one level of retention, such as a thumb break or other mechanical action to prevent the firearm from being removed from the holster by an unauthorized third-party, is REQUIRED for open carry at all Arlington OC events. Examples of acceptable retention holsters include: Galco Fletch High Ride Belt Holster (or any other leather holster with a thumb break), Safariland ALS concealment holster, and Blackhawk SERPA holster.

C. Responsibilities

All Arlington OC members/attendees share the responsibility to support, adhere to, enforce, and assist with the implementation of these procedures and standards.
:quirky:(

Open note to self, ignore future postings regarding OC outing by this member.

~Marco

curtiswr

imported post

LOL, Who is this guy? Troll, agent provocateur? Or just ridiculously overparanoid and overbearing because of a bad LEO encounter before?

Marco

imported post

LOL, Who is this guy? Troll, agent provocateur? Or just ridiculously overparanoid and overbearing because of a bad LEO encounter before?

230therapy,

You're a member of this group, did you attend?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Agent19 wrote:

230therapy,

You're a member of this group, did you attend?
The event was cancelled, according to the meetup page.

Marco

imported post

Tess wrote:
The event was cancelled, according to the meetup page.

[line]
From meetup page:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, this meet up has been CANCELLED!

[line]

I must have glossed over this when reading the meetup page, must have been to lack of interest.

Harper1227

imported post

OK! this is nuts. Its obvious a bunch of people - myself included, want to do an OC dinner in Arlington so, lets make it happen.

I say same place as suggested - on another night - with the same common sense standards as we have operated with in the past.

I prefer weekends but the summer sucks for my schedule and i will be out of town alot over the next month.

How many people are available this saturday? or next friday? If i get a couple YESes I will post a topic with details.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
OK! this is nuts. Its obvious a bunch of people - myself included, want to do an OC dinner in Arlington so, lets make it happen.

I say same place as suggested - on another night - with the same common sense standards as we have operated with in the past.

I prefer weekends but the summer sucks for my schedule and i will be out of town alot over the next month.

How many people are available this saturday? or next friday? If i get a couple YESes I will post a topic with details.
As long as it is after 4:30 pm, I can go any day. If it is a lunch, I am off Mon and Tues.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Harper1227 wrote:

Count on us.