• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

But....but....I thought that it was illegal to carry a gun in DC?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Mar 31, 10:21 AM EDT

Gunman sprays DC crowd, killing 4 and wounding 5

By NAFEESA SYEED
Associated Press Writer

[align=center] [/align]

D.C. Drive-By Leaves 4 Dead, Others Injured

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A gunman sprayed bullets from a moving vehicle into a crowd in southeastern Washington, killing four and wounding at least five others, before leading police on a chase into neighboring Maryland.

Three people were arrested in the drive-by shooting Tuesday. The D.C. councilman who represents the area said a dispute between groups in the neighborhood apparently caused the shooting.

Six men and three women were hit by the gunfire around 7:30 p.m., said D.C. Police Department spokesman Officer Hugh Carew. Fire Department spokesman Pete Piringer says all were in their 20s and 30s, except for one teenager.

By late Tuesday, one victim had died at the scene, a second was pronounced dead at the hospital and the third died in the operating room, hospital officials said. Police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said early the next day that the fourth victim had died.

Four D.C. officers were slightly injured while chasing a suspect's vehicle into neighboring Prince George's County in Maryland, authorities said. A weapon was also recovered.

The Washington Post reported that police pursued a van from the scene, aided by a helicopter.

Police had cleared the scene Wednesday morning, but there were still five police cruisers parked outside a brick garden-style apartment building on a main road that links the area to downtown. There was gauze and a blood-covered gauze package on the sidewalk, which was wet and smelled of bleach.

The shootings were in a neighborhood near a water treatment plant and Bolling Air Force Base and about seven miles from the White House. D.C. Councilman Phil Mendelson said that the area where the shooting happened is known for drugs and related violence.

"It's not a stranger to violent activity, unfortunately," said Mendelson, the chairman of the D.C. Council's Committee on Public Safety and the Judiciary.

D.C. Councilman Marion Barry, a former mayor who now represents the area of the city where the shootings occurred, called the attack a vicious crime. Barry, who had been briefed by police, said it appears "crews" - groups of friends who are not necessarily organized as gangs - had some sort of dispute with each other.

"I'm saddened. I'm outraged. I'm angry," Barry said. "We have a tough enough reputation anyway," he said of his district in southeast Washington.

He said he was worried about further retaliation between groups, but that he had been assured by police they would "pull out every stop they can."

Washington reported 143 homicides last year, the fewest in nearly 50 years.

----

Associated Press Writer Jessica Gresko contributed to this report.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy

suntzu

imported post

not a plausible story, because everyone knows that carrying guns in DC is against the law--therefore, because it is against the law to carry a gun in DC unless you are a cop--that means that this story could never have happened the way they report it--because it would be wrong for a criminal to carry a gun....

gun control hurts only the law abiding, while the worst of society continues to prey on the victims created as a result of draconian gun control.

GWbiker

imported post

Washington reported 143 homicides last year, the fewest in nearly 50 years

Washington DC with population just over 500,000 and total gun control had 143 homicides last year.

Tucson Arizona with population just over 500,000, where damn near everyone carries a gun, had 64 homicides last year, lowest level since 2001.

Something must be wrong with that "gun control" thing.:uhoh:

Dreamer

imported post

This story is obviously made up, and cannot be true. Semiautomatic handguns are illegal in DC, so there is simply NO WAY that this happened the way the press is reporting it. Perhaps, they parked the car, the gunman leaned out the window with a S&W revolver, emptied it, then reloaded, emptied it again, reloaded and fired a third volley. But there is simply no way it could have been a semiautomatic handgun.

I call SHENANIGANS on the DC Metro Police and the AP. :banghead:

Mas49.56

imported post

4 DC cops were slightly injured? Was that from over spray? Was it a Super Soaker squirt gun? Can you OC a squirt gun in DC?

ianto94

imported post

Semi automatic handguns are not illegal in DC. I owned three legally registered (and it cost a lot of money to do that) semiauto handguns in DC and a substantial number of low capacity magazines as well.

M

McX

imported post

ca-ching factor applied $$$$$$$$= you get your gun.
bet the criminals don't................