• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma News Tribune Letter to the Editor. Get 'em!

Bobarino

imported post

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/03/31/1129831/guns-not-saying-that-those-pushing.html

GUNS: Not saying that those pushing open-carry are compensating, but . . . Similar Stories TERRY FISK; Puyallup Published: 03/31/1012:05 am Comments (17) Recommend (3) The right to bear arms has become the right to bare arms.
What is the etiquette in this brave new Palinized world? If you are packing, are you allowed to pass to the head of every line?
To be fair, I am confident those inspired to strap a weapon to their waist have found themselves in situations where a handy handgun solved an awkward or impolite encounter. In my 59 years I have endured those encounters, but drawing a firearm did not occur to me as a means to resolution.
Back in the day, there was a joke about certain streamlined sports cars. They served as either an extension or substitute. As for guns, draw your own conclusions.

FMCDH

imported post

Yep, they caught me, I'm compensating!

Compensating for not being able to shoot bullets from my finger, and compensating for the governments inability and unwillingness to spend the money to protect me every hour of every day the way they do politicians and other "important people".

I'm ALSO compensating for not having enough money to hire people to carry the gun for me.

Gosh, I'm just SO unworthy of the right to self protection, I'm just compensating all over the place. :p

DEROS72

imported post

No one I know has ever drawn a handgun to go to the front of the line so to speak.Notice how that is used quite loosely.

amzbrady

imported post

FMCDH wrote:

Compensating for not being able to shoot bullets from my finger, and compensating for the governments inability and unwillingness to spend the money to protect me every hour of every day the way they do politicians and other "important people".

I'm ALSO compensating for not having enough money to hire people to carry the gun for me.

Gosh, I'm just SO unworthy of the right to self protection, I'm just compensating all over the place. :p
+1

I'm also Compensating. I'm compensating for not being a mix of Bruce lee, steven seigal, chuck norris, rambo, terminator, superman, and, Whats the tuff guys namethat always starts out a built wimp who gets beat again and again, and finally kicks some ass in the end.

Edited for finally remembering the tough wimp guy, Van Dam...

FMCDH

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

+1

I'm also Compensating. I'm compensating for not being a mix of Bruce lee, steven seigal, chuck norris, rambo, terminator, superman, and, Whats the tuff guys namethat always starts out a built wimp who gets beat again and again, and finally kicks some ass in the end.
O yea! Forgot about those....add "not being Bruce Lee" to my compensation list.

DEROS72

imported post

They love to use that don't they...that we are trying to compensate for something....

.45ACPaddy

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
They love to use that don't they...that we are trying to compensate for something....
And when my wife carries, or the other women carry???
Well, in that case, they're compensating for small breasticles, didn't you know?

Or perhaps there's something she didn't tell you...

Oh wait, I'm sure many missed that memo... *facepalm*

I can't help but stare in dismay at that letter! I stand in line just like everyone else. If anyone tried asking me if I wanted to just jump to the front of the line I'd say "Well, no, it's not fair to everyone else. They got here first, they should go first!"

I can only imagine the conversation:

"Umm, sir, did you wanna just cut to the front?"
"Cut everyone in line? No way, that's not fair! You got here first, so you ought to go first."
"But you have... umm... that..."
"Well, I don't see why that should automatically put me in the front of the line." *head scratch*
At that point the other guy wouldn't know what to say!

gsx1138

imported post

My response:

It's always humorous to me to see people who disagree with a position make up ridiculous hypothetical situations and use ad hominem attacks as if that furthers or proves their point. Is my wife compensating for something when she carries a XD45? The author even had the good grace to throw in Sarah Palin for some unknown reason. If you are uncomfortable with people who choose to carry openly then perhaps the problem is with you. Unlike many of the "rights" that people try to claim they have, bearing arms is explicitly stated.