• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

~~Open Carry Blood Drive~~

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Mike wrote:
Who is drawing people's blood? I heard the red cross has a gun ban policy at blood drives.

I am drawing the blood. Is there a problem with that? I was just going to bring a few empty milk jugs, plastic tubing, and turkey baster needles. It will save time if you all go ahead and bring the blood yourself. LOL

:monkeyI'm sorry. I couldn't resist... (real info below)

Life South is doing it. The red cross was getting annoying by stalling me every chance they got.

I talked it over with my event coordinator from Life South and she said no problem!

She seemed nervous at first but I explained to her that it was legal, and all the weapons would be holstered at ALL TIMES. She calmed down after that, and said it was OK.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Ready for tomorrow! If you can, print off a few trifolds to bring with you and hand to whoever may wander up and be curious.

Tim told me a few of the rules -

1. Of course, no unholstering except for self-defense.

2. No rifles or shotguns... this time. Haha.

3. Media may be there,so best behavior time.

Guys, I can't wait.I'll have a hard time sleeping tonight - see ya'll tomorrow.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
Ready for tomorrow! If you can, print off a few trifolds to bring with you and hand to whoever may wander up and be curious.

It's 4am and I'm printing trifolds. LOL I can print25 of these things so if anyone wants to bring more, I'd appreciate it.

BTW: If you have access to the trifold through the website, but don't have a printer, I'll be more than happy to give you one (trifold... not a printer).But if you do have a way of obtaining it, please don't take them from me. These are for people who have no idea what is going on, and know nothing about Open Carry. Thank you!

Wow. This is exciting. I can't wait to get out there! I wish I could get some more sleep but that's not happening.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Jonathon Norris wrote:

It's 4am and I'm printing trifolds. LOL I can print25 of these things so if anyone wants to bring more, I'd appreciate it.

BTW: If you have access to the trifold through the website, but don't have a printer, I'll be more than happy to give you one (trifold... not a printer).But if you do have a way of obtaining it, please don't take them from me. These are for people who have no idea what is going on, and know nothing about Open Carry. Thank you!

Wow. This is exciting. I can't wait to get out there! I wish I could get some more sleep but that's not happening.
Get some video footage.

FedFirefighter

imported post

Just got home from the Open Carry Blood Drive, in Hoover. It was beautiful weather, a very nice reporter from channel 42 was on scene interviewing volunteers, gave my share of blood (very painlessly), and met alot of cool, level headed patriots that I'm sure I'll see again. These type of events must continue to be held and continue to grow if we ever want OC to be common place in society. Great job guys, your efforts are appreciated.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
Just got home from the Open Carry Blood Drive, in Hoover. It was beautiful weather, a very nice reporter from channel 42 was on scene interviewing volunteers, gave my share of blood (very painlessly), and met alot of cool, level headed patriots that I'm sure I'll see again. These type of events must continue to be held and continue to grow if we ever want OC to be common place in society. Great job guys, your efforts are appreciated.
Did your psycho cop buddies show up? j/k.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I don't know the final numbers, but I was up there around 1:00 and we had had somewhere around 6 people able to donate thus far. LifeSouth said they were planning on 12-14 (I think) so hopefully more people showed up after I left. (And sorry I left in such a hurry, it's been a busy day) :D Thanks, Hollowpoint and Jonathon, for running around to put this together, and thanks to everyone who showed up! We should be on the news tonight but I can't remember what station.:( And someone's putting up pictures later!

Some of us were worried that they (LifeSouth) might catch some flak for "supporting gun nuts" so I think it would be great if some of us called to thank them for putting up with us. ;) They didn't take a side, but they took our blood- which was more than the Red Cross was willing to do. Their numbers are:
Birmingham regional headquarters at 205.943.6000
or their main headquarters toll free at 888.795.2707

Be sure to let them know if you would be willing to donate when we do another one. :celebrate

ETA: Ninja'd. And yeah, it was CBS 42.

David S.

imported post

Just got back from the blood drive event it was a total blast. I really enjoyed meeting everyone that came. I look forward to all other events in the future. Look for us on CBS news at 10 is when they said we should be on. Im sure we will start a new post soon with all the pics an videos. (we even got the news lady to wear a gun in her report. )

Thx to everyone that came hope to see more next time.
Keep tim ( Hallowpoint) in your thoughts because after the event we were visiting Hoover Tactical and he had chest pains and had to go to UAB hospital.

eye95

imported post

Just got back myself. A bunch of great guys (and a few great gals).

I don't have a lot of detail (and, I don't know how much detail he'd like us to share), but let's keep Tim in our thoughts and prayers. He took sick at the end of the day.

Birmingham CBS 42 took a lot of footage. Most of you can't watch it on TV. However, it will be on the Internet, and links will be posted. We got the reporter to OC one of our firearms (was it DJ's?).

We had a lot of fairskin redheads who are now red skinned redheads.

All in all, today was a big success. The only real questioning of what we were doing came from the owner at Formosa, the Chinese restaurant we ate at. First he asked, "Those aren't real?" We said that they were. Then he asked, "They aren't loaded?" We said that they were. He took a moment to digest that and was totally cool with it.

So, if you're ever in Birmingham and feeling a bit peckish, get some Chinese at the OC-friendly Formosa.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Wow. Man you guys sure are getting the local news involved up there. I wish local news down here would cover this and hopefully inform LE on the matter since they refuse to do so on their own.

eye95

imported post

smttysmth02gt wrote:
Wow. Man you guys sure are getting the local news involved up there. I wish local news down here would cover this and hopefully inform LE on the matter since they refuse to do so on their own.
Refer your local CBS station to the Channel 42 footage. When they see what kind of story can be done, they might want to add some pop to the nightly news.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

eye95 wrote:
smttysmth02gt wrote:
Refer your local CBS station to the Channel 42 footage. When they see what kind of story can be done, they might want to add some pop to the nightly news.
Thanks I might consider doing that. I'm still not sure if I will OC down here though. There is simply too much risk down here due to the disorderly conduct charge. If I can get IN WRITING from Troy King, that OC'ing CAN NOT be grounds for that charge, then I may actually consider it. The cc vs oc essay I read on here was somewhat of a "nudge" for me to OC, but gotta swing things in my favor first.