• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting opportunity this summer...

Dreamer

imported post

My wife's family is from Germany, and she has a cousin (a young man of 18) who will be coming to the USA this summer to visit relatives and see the Eastern US. He'll be here in Washington with me for 3 or 4 days in late August.

I was considering taking him to the beach for a day, to watch the girls and maybe fly some of my big kites. I don't imagine the beach will be any big deal for him, but they sure as heck don't have dunes like we have at Jockey Ridge, and I'm sure some of my big custom kites might be interesting for him...

Then, I realized that a MUCH more interesting and unique activity for him might be a trip to the shooting range. I doubt he'll ever have an opportunity to handle some of the firearms I have, and it would make for a GREAT story he can take home to his friends and family.

So I was thinking about taking him to a local range, but then I remembered about that range in Raleigh that rents Class III firearms. Now THAT would be an AMAZING story for him to take home. But I'm not sure as to whether it would be legal for him to rent Class III since he's 1) only 18 years old, and 2) a German Citizen...

Can anyone instruct me on the legal situation here, or should I just call that range in Raleigh and ask them?

But I think that either way, I'm going to ask him if he is interested in shooting some targets while he's visiting. I think it would be a GREAT opportunity for him (to learn about, shoot, and experience firearms) and for me as well (to interact with a young European, in the context of American Pro-2A culture).

I will DEFINITELY be posting a report if he wants to do this. But like I said, it won't be until late August...

elixin77

imported post

Are you talking about the range in Garner? If it is, I went to that range last christmas time, and I don't recall seeing anything about nationality requirements. Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure that as long as he can prove to be 18 years old, that shouldn't be a problem; or I could be dead wrong.

Probably the best bet would be to call them up, and speak with someone from the range

CCHPilot

imported post

I am a CCH Holder and have competed at that range in IDPA matches. As long as he can prove he is 18 yrs old (ie. Germany ID card with DOB) he should be able to shoot and even rent the class III firearms. There is no legal issue as long as he is 18. I can go there with my 13 yr old and rent a class III and let her fire it. Not going to do it because it is too much for her to handle right now, but the nationality is no issue, you are renting it not buying it. The facility is licensed to allow you to rent it so the only issue is age and proof of it.

Dreamer

imported post

Thanks for that information. From my research I figured it would be cool. I'm still debating whether or not I want to do that though--Raleigh is almost 2 hours away, and I don't know if he'll want to drive 2 hours just for the chance to shoot full-auto. I don't think he's ever fired a gun of ANY type before, and that might be a little overwhelming for him...

Thanks though.

Dreamer

imported post

Patriot,

Thanks. That would allow us to do BOTH things. Shoot in the morning, fly kites in the afternoon. Hmmm...

anyamaboy

imported post

Interesting opportunity...
I definitely know the feeling of not growing up with guns in Europe. I lived in France for 10 years and shot for the first time in 10th grade.(about 6 years ago) btw, i've been hooked ever since.
Keep us posted.