• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone UOC'ed in Burbank, CA?

MADxBRAPPER

imported post

I would love to contribute to the cause but after a discussion with my local gun shop guy i am kind of leary. He said that if you attempt to UOC in Burbank the police will execute an inspection over and over and over again until you reach the city limit.Now this is under the assumptioni would be on the move which i wouldnt plan to be due to the ammount of planning i would have to do to make sure my route would not take me near any schools etc...I would stay in one place so i dont know what the laws are as to how many times they can inspect your weapon but he made it sound like it was boarder line harassment. I was in a rush so i couldnt sit there and hash it out with him and figured this would be the best place to ask and see if anyone has sucessfully UOC'ed in Burbank before and also if anyone had contact with BPD while UOC'ing and how it went. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.-MxB

Gundude

imported post

MADxBRAPPER wrote:
I would love to contribute to the cause but after a discussion with my local gun shop guy i am kind of leary. He said that if you attempt to UOC in Burbank the police will execute an inspection over and over and over again until you reach the city limit.Now this is under the assumptioni would be on the move which i wouldnt plan to be due to the ammount of planning i would have to do to make sure my route would not take me near any schools etc...I would stay in one place so i dont know what the laws are as to how many times they can inspect your weapon but he made it sound like it was boarder line harassment. I was in a rush so i couldnt sit there and hash it out with him and figured this would be the best place to ask and see if anyone has sucessfully UOC'ed in Burbank before and also if anyone had contact with BPD while UOC'ing and how it went. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.-MxB

Hi and welcome to the forum. My local gun store owner didn't know squat about OC'ing. I had to educate him. I wouldn't listen to him/her.

I would expect that how many times they inspect would depend on how many calls they received. If it's the same cops doing it more than once, that would be harassment.

The best way to handle an inspection is to tell the LEO you delcine to answer any questions without legal advice and you don't consent to any unconstitutional searches. Then close your pie hole and don't resist them.

If you haven't OC'ed before, I would suggest you start by joining a group event then go out on your own after your feel comfortable.

pullnshoot25

imported post

MADxBRAPPER wrote:
Did this filthy pile of FUD come from Gun World in Burbank?

There is no limit to how many checks an LEO can do. However, I find it HIGHLY doubtful that any more than one check would be accomplished at a given time.

Never believe legal information coming from a cop or a gun store.

I personally recommend not OCing at this time for quite a few good reasons but should you decide to OC, be damned sure you know your stuff.

MADxBRAPPER

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
MADxBRAPPER wrote:
Did this filthy pile of FUD come from Gun World in Burbank?

There is no limit to how many checks an LEO can do. However, I find it HIGHLY doubtful that any more than one check would be accomplished at a given time.

Never believe legal information coming from a cop or a gun store.

I personally recommend not OCing at this time for quite a few good reasons but should you decide to OC, be damned sure you know your stuff.
No It didnt, i am a STRONG SUPPORTER of the ANTI-GUNWORLD MOVEMENT, cant stand that place or the people that work there, they will never see another dime from me EVER! The only way that place survives is because they have a huge inventory and everyone i used to see in there was anewb to shooting and firearms. The people just do not know any better and we dont have another store in the area with that kind of inventory. This info came from the place up the street that used to be Stevensons Gun Countryand then Gun Country and now they are back open under a diff name. The guy is pretty knowlegable and i have been dealing with him for a long time. He said they would call other units and have a diff unit inspect you each time. I take it with a grain of salt and thats why i came here to get better info. I am not financially ready to defend myself in court if the thing should go sideways soI do not plan on UOC'ing anytime soon unless its with a group. I just wondered if anyone has had an expierience in Burbank since i live here and have not heard of anyone UOC'ing here.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MADxBRAPPER wrote:
[SNIP] He said they would call other units and have a diff unit inspect you each time. [SNIP]
If this is true, a video of such an abuse of our 4th amendment right might be just the piece of evidence to have the judge throw out 12031(e) inspections as unconstitutional! I very seriously doubt the a police department would do this. But who knows how stupid some departments are.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

If they actually did this someone would be getting rich off the city of Burbank. Unlike a PRAR, the "discovery" phase of litigation can't be denied. If they conspired it WILL be discovered. The evidence will be brought into federal court, and the officers/department/city will get what is left of their asses handed to them.

My guess is that the clerk you spoke to was talking out of his ass... or maybe regurgitating something an officer said while talking out of his ass.

This is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard.

MADxBRAPPER

imported post

Well if anyone wants to "test the waters" in beautiful downtown Burbank i will gladly man a camera and help in any way i can with the exception of UOC'ing because ihave a kid on the way and cannot afford a goodlawyer shouldi need one. I know a few business owners in the city and i might be able to approach one of the sub sandwich shop owners about a UOC lunch. We have two AMAZING sub shops if you enjoy a good sandwich,just throwin that out there.I would be willing to do the leg-work. I don’t know if anyone knows much about Burbank but we are kind ofdifferent then the rest of theSFV. We have our own Police, Fire and school system. Everyone i tellthat ilive inBurbank always mentions the cops and how strict they are. The police dept. is currently in chaos right now andis under investigation by the LA county Sheriffs Dept. andalso the FBI. There are reports of excessive force being used by BPD officers and we also had a BPD Sgt. that was also under investigation,take his ownlife on one of our quiet residential streets. It is a really sad and horrible thingregardless if he was innocent or guilty of the charges. There are i think 7 current and former BPD officers suing the dept. forseveral types of discrimination based on race, sex and sexual orientation. I don’t know if it is just because we are kind of cut off from Los Angeles but a lot of outrageousstuff seems to go on in this city.

markm

imported post

Hello MadXBrapper,

I live in Roseville CA. Your situation is somewhat parallel to mine. I don't have lawyer money laying around. I would like to havea SCOTUS ruling with my name on it, but they cost at least a million dollars. Their are orgs that will provide legal services for SCOTUScases; however, I don't think that you and I should rely on outside help.

I have a dual career path: I am a project manager and a master mariner. Redundancy and good risk analysis is the key to surviving in the PM and Mariner worlds.

Here is a scenario:

You UOC and cover all of your bases. But, you get distracted and accidently put one of your mags in your pocket. You get (e) checked and the copper finds your "concealed mag." He jacks you up and you perform the perp walk.

The courts uphold that a concealed mag is a concealed weapon. This ruling may have to come from SCOTUS. Asyour last hope, you question the validity of the (e) check on 4th A grounds as CA and the coppers have no RAS for the search. Again, this question would probably end-up before SCOTUS.

Do you have at least a million bucks to keep a conviction offyour record?

I think your cautious strategy is correct. You and I should listen and learn from experienced OCers and lawyers. We should attend meet-ups as unarmed"trainees." We should do our first OC in an incorporated area under the supervision of someone who has been detained and (e) checked before.

I assumeyou don't hunt or hike public lands.

If you don't,you can do what I have been doing for decades. I UOC and LOC on National Forestand BLM land where hunting and shooting is legal. I always have a hunting or fishing license. If you make a mistake on public unincorporated land with your gun, PC 12027 (g) and the DFG code may be a loophole to keep your conviction record clean. Practice carrying your weapon in the legally safest place we have available to us.

When you have a Warden, Forest Serice, or Sheriff encounter on NF or BLM land you will gain experience. I have had nothing but friendly encounters with LEOs on public lands. I never made threatening movements and kept my hands away from my weapons while "shooting the bull" with LEOs on public lands. If you are nervous around the LEO, ask him/her for advice and tell them that you arenew tohunting andcarrying a gun,and that the lawsseem to be intertwined. They will always give you the speel about getting lost as they don't want to be one that hikes around all night looking for you.

Stop at a FS ranger station and ask where old gravel pits are or other good plinking spots. They can also tell you where shooting restrictions are. Get a campfire permit; they are free. Don't carry your gun into the Ranger Station.

Just north of you, you have several National Forests where shooting and hunting is legal. Make sure your ammo conforms to "Condor" habitat restrictions. You can't be "hunting" in those areas with lead ammo. Wild pigs, jack rabbits, and coyotes are legally huntable all year. Buy a pig tag. You don't have to be a hunter to have a pig tag and hunting license. They areinsurance policies. A loophole can be the difference if you make a mistake.

Occasionally, a mountain lion will get sick and start stalking two-legged food. A weapon is much better than a fishing pole in that case. Or, if you wander into a pig hollow and a pig charges you, a .357 mag is a minimum aneshetic if a pig dirt-napis required. A weapon can also be a good signalling device in case of emergency. Three consecutive shots into the dirt is a distress signal if rescuers are looking for you.

Be cautious and do your homework my friend!

markm

MADxBRAPPER

imported post

Thanks for the info! I am very often on BLM and national forest land. I ride dirtbikes and have a toy hauler camper and me and my wife often spend the weekend In Dove Springs / Jawbone Canyon and various other riding and campingspots. I am not a hunter and dont really see myself participating in the sport but the license could be a good out if the need for one should arise. I have encountered a mountain cat on a hike once up in my local Burbank Mountains and it scared the CRAP out of me. It had a pretty good size doe in its mouth and was carrying it around like it was nothing. At the time i wished i had my .50ae or any one of my weapons period. The cat jumped off the side of the trail and left the doe sitting there and i picked up the biggest rock i could find and walked on cautiously. The doe was gone on my way back down the mountain an hour later. Anyways i agree with you totally about thewatch and learn approach but if i hit the lotto jackpot you better believe its on!:celebrate

oifoefvet

imported post

I do OC, and I perform checks twice to make sure I am legal before stepping out. I would have no problem OCing there, if anyone wants to join me or join me for coffee and use the camera if anything happens, I would be happy to assist. I am a veteran and a strong believer in my rights while being respectful and polite. I have nothing to worry about because I have done nothing wrong. let me know if anyone would like to do something on a weekend. Matt