• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tulsa World - Oklahoma Senate committee OKs open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20100331_12_0_OLHMIY627141

SNIP

Oklahoma Senate panel passes weapons measure

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Published: 3/31/2010 1:32 PM
Last Modified: 3/31/2010 1:32 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY - A Senate panel on Wednesday passed a measure that would allow those who have handgun licenses to openly carry their weapons.

. . .

It passed by a vote of 10-2 and heads to the Senate floor.

The measure would also allow judges on the Oklahoma Supreme Court, Court of Civil Appeals and Court of Criminal Appeals and Workers Compensation Court to carry weapons into the Capitol and into buildings in the Capitol complex that have courtrooms or judicial offices.

Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, and Sen. Anthony Sykes, R-Moore, are the authors of the measure.

"I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment," Duncan said.

Those willing to go through a background check and be law-abiding citizens will do the right thing, he said.

About 40 states have some version of open carry currently on the books, Duncan said.

"Oklahoma, I believe, is one of only six states that have no version of open carry," he said.

Duncan said he doesn't believe the majority of Oklahomans who have a gun license will carry openly.

"Most prefer to keep their weapons concealed," Ducan said. "This would give them some latitude."

The bill would become effective Nov. 1, Duncan said.

. . .

TFred

imported post

"Oklahoma, I believe, is one of only six states that have no version of open carry," he (Duncan, the bill's sponsor) said.

[...]

Rep. Paul Roan, D-Tishomingo, called the measure "dangerous, irresponsible and unsafe." Roan spent 30 years in law enforcement, including 25 years with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

"It will put people in situations where people will be shot in a fit of rage," Roan said.
It's so funny, you really sometimes forget just how pathetic it is.

It's always one of three options...
  • Oklahoma citizens are nothing more than violent animals with absolutely no self-control.
  • It's an intentional lie.
  • It's ignorance.
None of these options are appealing.

TFred

hightecrebel

imported post

The only downside I see to this is the 'license' part. But at least it's a step in the right direction. If it passes I'll be sure to OC when I get back from deployment in November

okboomer

imported post

WooHoo! One step closer ...
[...]

Rep. Paul Roan, D-Tishomingo, called the measure "dangerous, irresponsible and unsafe." Roan spent 30 years in law enforcement, including 25 years with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

"It will put people in situations where people will be shot in a fit of rage," Roan said.
And yes, this is a man who served with the organization who fosters behavior like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkGs9EhDBSg

And this, by the same trooper:

http://statter911.com/2009/11/15/oklahoma-highway-patrol-trooper-daniel-martin-reinstated-after-investigation-of-excessive-force-complaint-martin-previously-scuffled-with-paramedic-video-released-of-most-recent-incident/

And Trooper Martin is not the only one at OHP that has anger management/rage issues ...

And on the other hand, some of the nicest, kindest, most helpful folks you will ever meet are also members of the OHP. You just never know which one you are going to meet when you get pulled over!

gprod55

imported post

Absolutly fandamtastic. Even if you need a license its still a step in the right direction. I plan on OC as soon as they'll let me. The last time I OC'd was when I was carrying a badge for a security company. Now that its going to be legal I will no longer need to carry concealed.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
"Oklahoma, I believe, is one of only six states that have no version of open carry," he (Duncan, the bill's sponsor) said.

[...]

It's so funny, you really sometimes forget just how pathetic it is.

It's always one of three options...
  • Oklahoma citizens are nothing more than violent animals with absolutely no self-control.
  • It's an intentional lie.
  • It's ignorance.
None of these options are appealing.

TFred
If he spent 30 years carrying a gun, I wonder how many times he shot someone in a fit of rage? He does cite that as his reason for being so knowledgable, and a self-professed expert, so I'd like to know.

"Mr. Roan, since this happens so often, how many times did you do it? One's own personal experience is no measure of broader demographics, of course. But since you have limited the range to yourself and your own experience, and you think it happens all the damn time.... That seems to be rather incriminating."