• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Question

thompsongunner06

imported post

OK,,,I was denied a CCP in NC,,,,no prob,,,I get a VA non resident. All is OK,,I ask my police friend to run my CCP(VA) to see if it comes up on NC DMV,,It does not but surprise,,, the sheriff put in DMV he denied my NC CCP application. Is this even legal to put that in the DMV file? Do I need to contact a lawyer? :?

Dreamer

imported post

Where in NC are you? What county?

Also, the Sheriff is required my NC law to tell you WHY your CHP application was denied.

Get a lawyer.

thompsongunner06

imported post

It was a discharge firearm in city limits(VA),Misdemeanor,,,over 15 years ago. Seems its no problem since the Va State Police issued my VA Non Resident CC permit. The current Dare Co Sheriff will not get my vote and a bunch more that know about this.

American Patriot

imported post

Did you list that offense on your application? If not, it may have been denied for false information. The sheriff is a reason person, ask him.

thompsongunner06

imported post

It did ask ANY convictions in past 5(or 7) years,,,I said NO,,,,also asked for any felony convictions,,I said NO. Right now I have the VA non resident that is good in NC,,my question is why or is it legal that he can put his denial in the NC DMV system? Since NC is reciprocal for the VA permit I dont need the NC one. The police here told me that and I have the legal letters from NC and VA stating the same.Is the listing in DMV a possible violation on my rights? I didnt do anything wrong.

RegalNC

imported post

thompsongunner06 wrote:
It did ask ANY convictions in past 5(or 7) years,,,I said NO,,,,also asked for any felony convictions,,I said NO. Right now I have the VA non resident that is good in NC,,my question is why or is it legal that he can put his denial in the NC DMV system? Since NC is reciprocal for the VA permit I dont need the NC one. The police here told me that and I have the legal letters from NC and VA stating the same.Is the listing in DMV a possible violation on my rights? I didnt do anything wrong.

I suggest starting with the NCDOT via a comment posted at:

https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/contactus/PostComment.aspx?unit=DMV_DL

American Patriot

imported post

thompsongunner06

I think if you check with the sheriff or DMV they will tell you that NC has the same policy, or law, as VA in that those with CHP are listed with DMV and come up on the officers computer when he/she runs a license check. The number on ones NC driver licensee and their NC CHPare the same.

thompsongunner06

imported post

OK,,,I understand that the permit will come up on DMV,Thats fine ,,Is it legal that the Sheriff(in NC)put in NC DMV that he denied it(my permit)? I have the Va non resident permit so with reciprocity I am OK to carry.

Rugerp345

imported post

Sorry to hear that. That means anytime you get stopped or your tag run the denial is gonna pop up and make it look like you are a crook or something.

Since NC is a "must notify" state it might get hairy when you tell the cop you have a concealed weapon.

thompsongunner06

imported post

OK,,even more crazy,,per NC DMV they said there was nothing on my DMV (NC) file,,,officer ran my drivers lic(NC) again,,,now it has a permit number(DL + NC at end) and "Denied" on status. Police are saying something is funny,,,its been changed since I talked to NC DMV. How can I have a CCP number if it was never issued to me? Its like Im being "marked" for not doing anything wrong.Deny my permit to my face and end it,,,why put it in DMV?

RegalNC

imported post

thompsongunner06 wrote:
OK,,even more crazy,,per NC DMV they said there was nothing on my DMV (NC) file,,,officer ran my drivers lic(NC) again,,,now it has a permit number(DL + NC at end) and "Denied" on status. Police are saying something is funny,,,its been changed since I talked to NC DMV. How can I have a CCP number if it was never issued to me? Its like Im being "marked" for not doing anything wrong.Deny my permit to my face and end it,,,why put it in DMV?

I suggest getting as much information regarding this matter in writing from all parties involved.

JMHO!

thompsongunner06

imported post

You can bet I print everything,the police are scared to print what is on their car terminal due to "Law Enforcement Only" can see computer info,,,Might need a lawyer to file "Discovery".I have the DMV emails printed.Dont think the sheriff will tell or provide me any "extra" info,,,if he is not required to.This might cost $$,,will talk to a lawyer 1st,,If they can get a large amount of $$$ they might do something(if my rights were violated),,,I really need to know if its legal to do what the sheriff did.If so be very careful that you will be marked in DMV if your application is denied. The officers have never seen this before. Does anyone know someone that has been denied too? Also just so you know,when a officer runs your name and drivers lic number the computer checks to see if you are on a sex predator list along with other stuff. They really check every thing now days. I dont have a problem with that.