• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any 4th of Juy open carry events?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Flipper wrote:
Here is the last Wisconsin concealed carry bill. Will someone point out where it has prohibitions on open carry and where it requires instruction by a NRA instructor?

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2005/data/SB-403.pdf
Could that be why it didn't pass, that NRA training and concealed carry were NOT mandated? Hmmm.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Flipper wrote:
Here is the last Wisconsin concealed carry bill. Will someone point out where it has prohibitions on open carry and where it requires instruction by a NRA instructor?

Thanks for posting this; it has some interesting stuff in it. Take for instance the actual training requirements:

(3) QUALIFICATIONS FOR OBTAINING A LICENSE. An individual is eligible for a license under this section if all of the following apply:

(h) The individual has done one of the following:

1. Successfully completed a firearm training or firearm safety course or class that meets the requirements under sub. (3m) (a).

2. Been certified as described under sub. (3m) (b) as an instructor of a firearm training or firearm safety course or class.

3. Participated in organized shooting competitions or military, law enforcement, or security training that gave the applicant experience with firearms that the department determines is substantially equivalent to any course or class that meets the requirements under sub. (3m) (a).
This could conceivably allow our military veterans and people who participate in the combat shooting sports like IDPA and IPSC to meet the training requirement without being forced to take an expensive course.

Dave

jamesisel

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
why in the world would you want to carry on the 4th of july? Its one of the biggest drinking days of the year! that is a day i will gladly take my holster off, and put my beer holster on my belt. I dont really have one of those, but now that I think about it, I do.
Yeah, I guess I coulda been more clear....I meant 4th of JuLY weekend.

but at the same time....

" ( insert random holiday) is one of the biggest drinking days of the year!"

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flipper wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
jamesisel wrote:
HI! My name is James. ... But I am from WI and would love to move back when I retire from the Army and I would like to be able to carry when I do. I will be back in town around the 4th and I just wanted to be able to show my support while in town!
Welcome, James Sisel, from another federal retiree. Congratulations on retirement, hopefully a full retirement and that you're young enough to enjoy it.

In way of explanation of some of the anti-NRA comments; Wisconsin enjoys lightly regulated legal open carry while concealed carry is explicitly prohibited by state law. Here, the NRA works towards a permitted/licensed carry scheme that would hypothetically require the legally armed citizen to purchase their RKABA from the NRA.

Obviously it is a complex argument with a long history. You might read the archives at keepandbeararms.com and nrawol.net and nationalgunrights.org and rmgo.org

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn the Obamanation and its thug unions.
ps. Be careful if moving to Wisconsin expecting more than part time employment. The Obominable economy is in full sway.

No one can :exclaim::exclaim:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Flipper wrote:
Flipper wrote:

No one can :exclaim::exclaim:
Here is the text of the 2003 bill. It specifically states "National Rifle Association."
The 2005 version uses training standards establishedby state Dept of Justice. This is similar to what most stateshave for cc requirements.